Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by orangegsx
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot (1) (resized).png
    Screenshot (2) (resized).png
    BE5D675F-1242-4330-9147-C206CD3BD47D (resized).jpeg
    44E6369A-C61C-47ED-ACE9-041B4E8CB96B (resized).jpeg
    E1FE370D-71A8-4092-924E-6ECB579BE4C1 (resized).jpeg
    CDA2B7A7-FA0F-4FFA-B34C-403AF3344C79 (resized).jpeg
    one timer (resized).jpg
    #1 5 years ago

I haven't physically started on this because I wanted some ideas on how to do this the best way to do a few things. I should have all the parts to do this (minus the swinging target for the goalie) and I am not too worried about the fabrication portion of it. The actual code and control of the game is where I am lacking knowledge at the moment (arduino and a pi?), I'd like to get a better grasp on that before I cut a play field. I want to keep this thing very simple though.

I wanted to make a hockey game for my four year old son who loves hockey. So I wanted to make something that would be pretty simple as far as rules and construction. I have had this idea in my head for a long time but finally drew it out tonight.

Shoot the ball into the goal
    shoot the ball through the one timer lane into the goal for way more points
    shoot the drops and then a goal for mega points!

instead of three balls you are given three 90 second periods

period one: one ball kicks out
    period two: two balls kick out
    period three: three balls kick out

The balls will go into the goal to a subway that will take them underneath the play field to the bottom right corner of the game. Every time a goal is made or you drain, a ball will be kicked into a wireform and land into the right inlane to feed the right flipper. So you can drain as many times as you want in the 90 second periods. In the second and third periods you should be dealing with two and three balls on the play field the whole duration really.

I was planning on the game being as wide as a normal machine but about 3/4 the length.

well, that's it for now really. If you have any tips, ideas, comments. Let me hear it, thanks
    one timer (resized).jpgone timer (resized).jpg

#2 5 years ago

If you saw Tales of the arabian knights you will remember the lamp that spins.
    The lamp in this case could be a defending hockey player that spins and deflects the puck from going into the net.

Imagine this, three periods, if you score on the goalie the score advances for team 1, if the ball drains, the score advances for team 2.
    When the period time expires, all solenoids turns off and the ball drains but no score is awarded and the next period advances.

If no score after 3 periods, your periods shorten and you go into overtime.
    Your backglass display would show score team 1, score team 2, time countdown clock, period number, shots on net (puck hits goalie) or goalpost.

Different concept then your original design.

Also launching the ball could be similar to the Grid Iron setup, so no plunger would be required. Draw back to this is no skill shot.

#3 5 years ago

Have a look at MPF (https://missionpinball.org). There are some docs here: http://docs.missionpinball.org/en/latest/. It is a software framework for pinball machines which allows you to get pretty far without strong programming skills. Most things are possible in config. Most existing hardware boards are supported: http://docs.missionpinball.org/en/latest/hardware/index.html. You can also run your own boards but I would recommend to buy an existing set.

Jan

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from legtod2:

If you saw Tales of the arabian knights you will remember the lamp that spins.
    The lamp in this case could be a defending hockey player that spins and deflects the puck from going into the net.

That’s a great idea. I’m going to have to look at what that will cost to setup compared to the swinging target like in data east star trek. The spinner might even hold up better. Hmmm

#5 5 years ago

Well, when you make this just be prepared to win the title of best DAD EVER!!!!

I think though you might want a third flipper somewhere like in a faceoff circle so that you can from the wall shoot it into the net. Really like the layout though. Simple, but could be really fun...

Only thing I don't like is the timed nature of the games. Not a fan of timed games.
    If you do have a timer... Maybe have a way to make it longer, like goin Nuts did...
    Just my thoughts, which don't mean anything.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from Diospinball:

Well, when you make this just be prepared to win the title of best DAD EVER!!!!
    I think though you might want a third flipper somewhere like in a faceoff circle so that you can from the wall shoot it into the net. Really like the layout though. Simple, but could be really fun...
    Only thing I don't like is the timed nature of the games. Not a fan of timed games.
    If you do have a timer... Maybe have a way to make it longer, like goin Nuts did...
    Just my thoughts, which don't mean anything.

I guess my thought was just to keep the games quick for kids, and have something you can play quick two player games on. Sometimes people come over and fire up whirlwind in 2 player and it ends up being a 45 minute ordeal.

I’ll have to think about the third flipper, hmm.. and maybe drop all three targets to have a bit more time in the period?

Here is my little rascal. Loves hockey obviously, the only other theme that would have been better for him would have been power rangers haha.. or spider man.

CDA2B7A7-FA0F-4FFA-B34C-403AF3344C79 (resized).jpegCDA2B7A7-FA0F-4FFA-B34C-403AF3344C79 (resized).jpegE1FE370D-71A8-4092-924E-6ECB579BE4C1 (resized).jpegE1FE370D-71A8-4092-924E-6ECB579BE4C1 (resized).jpeg
    #7 5 years ago

The left orbit seems kinda wasted just going into a pop. That could be the one timer lane. You could close off the top corner a bit and it could be like the beast lair on paragon, call it the fight corner or penalty box. Like the third flipper idea could go just above the upper right sling.

#8 5 years ago

The divider between the right inlane and outlane seems too low - it's gonna be _hard_ for a ball to hit that inlane from above.

1 month later
    #9 5 years ago

The left out lane needs a kick save (and a beauty!) Maybe also have the 3 targets relight the kick save aka t2?

I'm brainstorming my own hockey themed custom pin and I gotta say I really like the one timer lane! A 3rd flipper to the top right could be used for a tic tac toe goal (bottom flipper to target, to top right flipper to goal)

#10 5 years ago

How about another flipper up on the right side. When I hear the name “one timer hockey” I immediately think about a quick pass up to the net and someone there to shoot it in. It would be cool to have a “one timer” shot that had to be made on the fly. Not stopping to line it up.

I like where this is going though. It’s a novel idea that could be really awesome if done well.

#11 5 years ago

I really like the “shooting” lane you have going on. I am getting a symetrical feel from this game that you might find appealing. Maybe have a shooting lane on each side for a left or right shot. Then put the drops between them, and have then on a timer. You drop the targets to open up the middle but they dont stay down.

Maybe two sets of drops up the middle and if you get them both down its a “break away”?

I am wondering how the upper left shot works into the pop bumper. If you end up moving the drops to the middle, maybe put a pop on each corner to simulate checking around the net?

What would be really cool would be a goalie mech with a stick. He would lift the stick to push the ball away, but also reveal the 5 hole. Not sure theres enough clearance to make him big enough. If you made him big, maybe the ramps could be like champion pub or have flaps for top corner shots, and flaps up for lower shots.

Very cool idea. So many ideas could be had here. Ive always wanted an ice fever.

#12 5 years ago

I have always wanted a hockey new game, I think a World Cup Soccer would work well for a retheme.

#13 5 years ago

I have been working on a new layout for this and gathering some parts. Still going to be simple and similar to my first draft but i wanted to add some ramps and a 3rd flipper. I’ve got a piece of wood for the playfield i’m going to make some scale cutouts of mechs and move them around to get a feel of what this will look like in 1/1.. I’ll post some pics when it materializes!

1 week later
    #14 5 years ago

Been working on this a bit. I like the way the shots feel. I don’t understand how to build a subway in VP yet or an auto kicker. I want to do a subway from the goal to the auto kicker.

44E6369A-C61C-47ED-ACE9-041B4E8CB96B (resized).jpeg44E6369A-C61C-47ED-ACE9-041B4E8CB96B (resized).jpegBE5D675F-1242-4330-9147-C206CD3BD47D (resized).jpegBE5D675F-1242-4330-9147-C206CD3BD47D (resized).jpeg
    #15 5 years ago

Make it an option on the auto plunge to go straight to the flipper or shoot up top,different idea

#16 5 years ago

short version of vp subway (assuming using vpx), enable fall through on a kicker object sized appropriately, build walls and ramps with negative heights for the actual subway. or if using the latest vpx.6 beta you can also use a primitive playfield mesh with holes in it for the ball to fall through, this is a little more complicated. at the lower end you will need a kicker set onto the subway surface to kick the ball back up to playfield height, check through commandreference.txt for kicker commands for inclination to send straight up

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jackontherocks:

Make it an option on the auto plunge to go straight to the flipper or shoot up top,different idea

Or shoot into the goal option

#18 5 years ago

refined it a bit tonight. actually pretty fun.

Screenshot (1) (resized).pngScreenshot (1) (resized).pngScreenshot (2) (resized).pngScreenshot (2) (resized).png
    #19 5 years ago

#20 5 years ago

That looks amazing! Fantastic evolution of design. Do you plan on making it a more complete vpx table? I'd add it to my vpin

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from Malenko:

That looks amazing! Fantastic evolution of design. Do you plan on making it a more complete vpx table? I'd add it to my vpin

Thank you! I’m not sure I know how to go any farther with it in vp but I will try.

My plan was to play it a bit and see if there was anything I wanted to add, then have the blueprint printed to scale and transfer all the measurements to wood.

#22 5 years ago

Looks sweet!

You could probably add flaps to the ramps to lift them and add an orbit shot if you wanted.

#23 5 years ago

It could be cool to add a whirlpool feature to the plunge. It could add a skill shot, get x# of loops before the ball drops into the inlane, or a random point value for each ball based on the roulette wheel score from the plunge. Or a random reward for each ball (like 2x, 3x, ect) Just another way to change it up a bit between balls.

The 3 drops look tough to hit directly, kinda more of a rebound shot. Maybe move them around a bit to tweak their location.

You could add a mid playfield something (think f14 or a pop up troll) that prevents shots from the bottom flippers into the goal directly.

I like where this is heading. Looks simple and fun

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

The 3 drops look tough to hit directly, kinda more of a rebound shot. Maybe move them around a bit to tweak their location.

You could add a mid playfield something (think f14 or a pop up troll) that prevents shots from the bottom flippers into the goal directly.

My thought was to make them hard. Completing all three will give you a “hat trick”. Completing them three times will achieve “overtime”. Aka extra ball

I still am thinking three periods of unlimited drains, not sure about the time for each period, maybe 90 seconds. 1 ball in play for period 1... 2 for 2nd and 3 for 3rd

The scoring will have to be balanced so it is worth it to go for the “one timer ramp” the “deflection lane” or the “wrap-a-round”, instead of just straight shooting the ball into the goal every time.

Good idea on the targets mid playfield I’ll have to think about that and maybe something moving in front of the goal similar to a goalie...

Thanks for the feedback and ideas everyone!

#25 5 years ago

if you wanted to get real fancy you could have some of those long range opto sensors that P3 has and compute the ball trajectory as it heads towards the goal and have a goalie try to move in front to block it.. AI hockey pinball.

#26 5 years ago

A few things... First I really like the addition of the 3rd flipper. It adds to the one timer theme.
    And I really think simple game... But, could be fun especially you could do a head to head mode. Where as you said its timed games. And you play against a friend not for points... But, goals.
    I would still have points though... But, those points would be used to get more time. Just a suggestion. That way, there is a risk reward of going for points and going for goals. And maybe if you do combos or something it increases the time gained...

Last what program did you use to design that... Visual Pinball???? Just curious is all.

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from Diospinball:

A few things... First I really like the addition of the 3rd flipper. It adds to the one timer theme.
    And I really think simple game... But, could be fun especially you could do a head to head mode. Where as you said its timed games. And you play against a friend not for points... But, goals.
    I would still have points though... But, those points would be used to get more time. Just a suggestion. That way, there is a risk reward of going for points and going for goals. And maybe if you do combos or something it increases the time gained...
    Last what program did you use to design that... Visual Pinball???? Just curious is all.

Vp9 for this one. Pretty easy to use program so far but I haven’t gotten too in depth with anything.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/one-timer-hockey?hl=jabdoa and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.