You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0Strike-Zone-Work-03 (resized).jpg
IMG_20171016_193055987 (resized).jpg
IMG_20171016_195547365 (resized).jpg
0Strike-Zone-Work-02 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rolf_martin_062.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 6 years ago

Hi
I agree with HowardR with: To every pin there should be a paper schematics.
n1teowl -
please read the whole post - then decide which way You want to do the testing.
I wondered what other TWO-Player pins Williams made at the time - I used the advanced search in ipdb: http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?mfgid=413&yr=1970-72&pl=2&sortby=date&searchtype=advanced - I looked through the list and: Strike Zone http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2404 is close in time and ipdb has the schematics --- I show a snippet (sqeezed a bit) -

I believe in Your pin functions the "1,2,3,4,5" - the Ball-Count-Unit steps-up one step. In a ONE-Player-Game there should be a second*** stepping on the Ball-Count-Unit: "1,2,3,6,7,9,11,12,13".
The problem in Your pin is an nice example of "lets use an SteveFury-Test-Light" - it is shown here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reading-gottlieb-schematics#post-2634425 .
Toggle-off the pin, unplug the main power cord (Safety Reasons) - then establish an permanent wiring with the Test-Light clipping-on at "9" and "14". Instead of "14 (anywhere on wire-black)" You may use "16" or "15 - the fuse - BUT use side wire-black on the fuseholder - so You have the fuse in the wiring". Plug-in, toggle-on and try an ONE-Player-Game - Does the Test-Light lights-up ?
IF (if, if) "No luck": Toggle-off, unplug the main power cord and establish permanent Test-Light-connection "7 to 14" and do test.
IF (if, if) "Still no luck": You have proven: The fault must be in "3,6,7" - somewhere in this wiring is the fault (well, one fault). Please write about Your findings.

IF (if,if) the Test-Light DID light-up - You have proven: The wiring and switches "3,6,7,9" is good - the fault must be in the wiring "9,11,12,13". Please write about Your findings.

I like to use a Test-Light --- but You can do tests "NO Test-Light used" - just using an Jumper-Wire and do permanent Jumpering: "9 to 5/13" - "7 to 5/13" --- big question: Does the Ball-Count-Unit step-up ? Please write about Your findings.

Please use http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/2240/Williams_1971_Solids_N_Stripes_Instruction_Manual.pdf - on page-25 (ori-23) on the 2nd-Coin-Relay it is switch-D - my "7" is the middle blade, Gray-Blue --- my "9" is the bottom-most blade in this switch, Red-White. Therefore the Ball-Count-Unit-Step-Up-Coil has (as shown in my JPG): Red-White and Black".

second*** stepping --- actually this stepping is done before --- as SCM-1B closes earlier in time - before SCM-2B closes. Greetings Rolf

0Strike-Zone-Work-02 (resized).jpg0Strike-Zone-Work-02 (resized).jpg

#7 6 years ago

Hi n1teowl
the Test-Light does not light-up --- in Your video in post-5 it does light-up --- but lets say "we test the Test-Light": In the lower left corner of my JPG in post-4 we see "orange 1" - a Make-and-Brake-Switch on the Outhole-Relay --- on page-23 (ori-21) in ipdb-manual "Solids-N-Stripes" I locate the switch as the Switch-D - wire-Yellow on middle blade - wire-red-white on "blade to get-closed-contact when relay is pulling" - JUST as in the JPG. When You hook-up Your Test-Light "Solder-Lug-of-wire-red-white on switch-D on Outhole-Relay" to "my 14 or 15 or 16": The Test-Light will light-up as long as the Outhole-Relay is pulling - does it in Your pin ?
(((The written above test You may do - or You do not do)))

In the JPG here I made "huge, big, rosa-pink X" --- one or more place(s) the fault(s) is/are.

From the manual Solids N Stripes I take: "Outhole-Relay-Switch-D-wire-red-white" runs to "Ball-Index-Relay-Switch-B". From this switch-B then runs wire-red-orange to "Extra-Ball-Relay-Switch-D". From this Switch-D then runs WIRE-ORANGE-RED*** ---

What we see in an schematics is "abstract - drawn beautyful" --- in reality it is more like in the JPG here - see upper right corner: The wire from the Extraball-Relay runs to a Score-Motor-Switch - and from the Score-Motor-Switch hops a short wire over to the other cam / wheel - Switch.
So WIRE-ORANGE-RED*** coming from the Extraball-Relay MAY arrive at Score-Motor-Cam-1-Switch-B or it may arrive at Score-Motor-Cam-2-Switch-B (or any other cam - any other switch on a cam --- we do not have the schematics, YOU MUST look-up in Your pin) - a short jumpering wire of any color (maybe even a bare/naked wire ?) connects the two switches on the two cams - from one cam (probably cam-2-switch-B) runs a straight wire (hopefully***) to "Step-up-Coil on Ball-Count-Unit", from the other cam (probably cam-1-switch-B) runs a straight wire to "Switch-D on 2nd.-Coin-Relay".

You must locate the cams (cam-1 ? cam-2 ?) and the switches on the cams (B ?) - and the connecting wires - soldered-on ? contact-points on the switchblades clean ? switch (probably SCM-1B ?) closing when the running motor actuates the switch-stack ? Greetings Rolf

P.S. - hopefully***: Remember, schematics are drawn abstract - the wire may run to "Switch on 2nd. Coin-Relay" - and then "Switch on 2nd. Coin-Relay" is connected to "Step-up-Coil on Ball-Count-Unit".

0Strike-Zone-Work-03 (resized).jpg0Strike-Zone-Work-03 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rolf_martin_062.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/one-player-game-ball-stepper-acts-like-two-player-game?tu=rolf_martin_062 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.