(Topic ID: 70861)

One-Pin "Collection": JY, BR, T2, or HS2?

By IDrinkBeer

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“One-Pin Collection”

• Junk Yard 24 votes
    16%
  • Black Rose 7 votes
    5%
  • Terminator 2 36 votes
    24%
  • High Speed 2 86 votes
    56%

(153 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-636.jpg
There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

I'm looking for my first pin and have it narrowed down to Junk Yard, Black Rose, Terminator 2, or High Speed 2. This is strictly going to be a one-pin collection, at least for a couple years. I know you guys will say it won't, but I know it will. I have a lead on a JY, BR, and T2, currently.

I'm mediocre at pinball, and enjoy having people over to play who may or may not be new to the game. What game's going to last and keep my attention for the next couple of years? What would you guys recommend? I'm kind of liking Junk Yard.

Thanks.

#2 10 years ago

Love my JY and it was my first pin, but I knew when I got it that it wouldn't be my only. If you are seriously saying one pin only, then my vote would be HS2.

#3 10 years ago

Funny, I am new and bought The Getaway as my second pin and T2 is near the top of my wantlist. The Getaway is fun and fast. The Supercharger is a great toy along with the shifter. Gettting away is fun and the Superjackpot is a challenging bass filled rush. T2 is a fun shooters game. You can not go wrong with either of them and they can be had in the $1600-$2100 range. There are alot made of each so they are findable.
You can sell or trade them out easily also. So, get either. Have fun man and don't walk away over $100 in a face to face deal.

#4 10 years ago

Black Rose classic game to have as a 1st one...very cool. one you can be proud to say, "it was my 1st"
3 requests .."wanted" on the market forum.

#5 10 years ago

There is no such thing as just one pin. They breed. But I would start with T2.

#6 10 years ago

I'd say HS2 first, T2 second choice.

T2 is good, but the cannon can be frustrating at times, and using it is not really a pinball skill. On the other hand it has the cool gun shooter and non-pinhead like the machine.

HS2 has no real flaw IMHO, it's just a great design, good music, a very nice machine.

#7 10 years ago

High Speed 2 is a great game. I love the music and the SuperCharger. Great Steve Ritchie flow.

#8 10 years ago

It would be between HS2 or T2 for me, and the choice would be hard. Pick the one of these that is the better condition or price or combination of condition/price.

#9 10 years ago

T2. Fun theme (if you like sci-fi) lots of cool mods for it that will keep you busy.... AND, you get to use the T2 Smiley....

#10 10 years ago

If you are part gear head, HS II is the way to go.

It`s been a while since playing T2, but I remember liking that pin too.

Either one will be easily flipped if you need a change.

Good Luck !

#11 10 years ago

I'm a car guy (and vividly remember my mom having ZZ Top on MTV in the 80's), so HS2 is easily one of my favorite pins of all time

#12 10 years ago

Get a T2 and before you know it you'll have several pins..

#13 10 years ago

JY , it is all out fun, bashing the wrecking ball up the middle never get's old, and has a great wizard mode to boot...!!

#14 10 years ago

Out of the four, I would say HS2 for sure. Don't own any of them but have had two of them and put plenty of play time on all. Anyways not such a critical decision as you will find a way to have more.

#15 10 years ago

Tough call, not a lot of meat on the bones for super long term with those titles... But I would have to say T2,HS2,BR,then JY...

But all fun games

Variety is the spice of pin life.... always have more than one

#16 10 years ago

Those are all fun games, but none make a great one-pin collection

#17 10 years ago

Let me suggest Dirty Harry.. lots going on in there... and it has some legs if ya know what I mean.. GL in the hunt

#18 10 years ago

I would go Junkyard, think that game is totally awesome, second choice would be The getaway....

#19 10 years ago

Honestly I do not think any of those will survive the "one man show" for long. In a collection any of these are great, but single repeated play will grow old. Best answer I can give is try and play all of them, see what you think. Do you enjoy the shots, like the theme, variety of things to go for?

#20 10 years ago

Vote for T2, close 2nd goes to Getaway

#21 10 years ago

i would go with HS2. I have owned a JY and got tired of it really quick. In my opinion the game gets boring really fast. But maybe it's just me

#23 10 years ago

None. You are limiting yourself if you are looking at just 4 titles of thousands to choose from. I wouldn't want any of those 4 if i could only have 1 machine. There are way better machines. Look some more, go to a show, play some friends games. You also didn't mention budget. If i had 1k vs 5k the choice would be very different.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from Rossz:

I'd say HS2 first, T2 second choice.
T2 is good, but the cannon can be frustrating at times, and using it is not really a pinball skill. On the other hand it has the cool gun shooter and non-pinhead like the machine.
HS2 has no real flaw IMHO, it's just a great design, good music, a very nice machine.

Completely agree. I currently own HS2 and have owned T2. Played both Black Rose and RS. I would pick HS2 over the four although all are fun in their own way. Something special about those Steve Ritchie games!

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from FLpinball:

Completely agree. I currently own HS2 and have owned T2. Played both Black Rose and RS. I would pick HS2 over the four although all are fun in their own way. Something special about those Steve Ritchie games!

Sorry meant Junk Yard…not RS!

#26 10 years ago

I'm feeling good today. If you buy a HS2 I will send you a Donut Heaven just because.

image-636.jpgimage-636.jpg

#27 10 years ago

I vote JY, but I like your style. All are good choices.

#28 10 years ago

Getaway by a country mile.

Junkyard is decent but not brilliant. Terminator 2 gets old quickly. I haven't played BR in a while but the consensus is it's mediocre. Getaway has a great theme and plays as well as any pin I've played. It's in my top couple pins of all time.

#29 10 years ago

I was seriously considering selling my very nice HS2. But after doing a complete cointaker LED conversion and playing it some more knowing that they might be some of my last games on it.......I changed my mind. Just can't let it go.

#31 10 years ago

HS2 has erverything a good game needs... flow, multiballs, jackpots (you have to work for a bit), super jackpots (you have to work a bit more for), kinda modes, a hidden mode, video mode, a (not so hard to achieve) "wizzard mode", supercool background music AND the "RED"LIGHT.

There are much nicer and deeper machines out there, but this is an excellent choice, especially if you do not plan to have many machines!

Finally... it is not very expensive!

#32 10 years ago

Out of those I'd pick HS2, but like a few other people, if I had to do a 1 pin collection, it would be a much deeper game. Something like LOTR.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from frg:

Finally... it is not very expensive!

Funny how relative that can be. A 2k watch is really expensive to most people or a 2k bike, camera....etc....but a pinball machine? Not so much.

#34 10 years ago

Play them all.

A lot.

Then make your choice.

If you really want to know what others think... Consider checking out reviews and collections. Once the personality of the reviewer comes through (their collection), the reviews make all the more sense. I usually look at the collections of the reviewers and if I think to myself "I like that person's collection." I consider their reviews more carefully.

My pin-philosophy is: "If the game has game, I want to play it!"

#35 10 years ago

In my opinion, if you are going to go with only one machine, pick whichever one you are going to get and look for the nicest one you can afford. No sense in owning junk. You won't be happy with it. Spend a couple extra bucks and own a pin that you can be proud of, not a pin you are embarrassed by. JMHO!

#36 10 years ago

I agree. Your better off with a JD, DM, or JM I think....

Quoted from Aquapin:

Honestly I do not think any of those will survive the "one man show" for long.

#37 10 years ago

HS2 was my first pin as well. Not a bad choice at all

#38 10 years ago

I'm not sure what the answer is... I've owned both T2 and HS2. I enjoyed both the same. HS2, I felt, just didn't have enough for me to make it a long term keeper. Definitely enjoyed it, just not a homerun. Shots, for me, just got a little repetitive. T2 is fun also... not sure how well it would hold up as a 1 pin... but, the beauty is you can always trade or sell!

If you go JY... you'll be spending more. If that's the case get two machines rather than one. But, if you get two... I wouldn't get two SR pins. Mix up the designer some. So, I guess my vote would be BR and HS2 or BR and T2.

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Those are all fun games, but none make a great one-pin collection

I agree with this statement.

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

None. You are limiting yourself if you are looking at just 4 titles of thousands to choose from. I wouldn't want any of those 4 if i could only have 1 machine. There are way better machines. Look some more, go to a show, play some friends games. You also didn't mention budget. If i had 1k vs 5k the choice would be very different.

Great point - what's your budget? Maybe that doesn't matter since you listed out those specific pins. But if not, I'd really do some homework and find a pin with a shot layout, rule set, artwork and theme that you really like. I like to look at my pins about as much as I like playing them.

Personally for me it'd be T2. T2 was the first pin I ever bought and it's still in my collection. I'm hoping one of these days one of these software wizards will add some more depth to the rule set and this pin could go from a B level pin to a highly demanded A pin...

#42 10 years ago

Having owned HS2, JM, JD, DM and passed on a T2, JY and BR...

I'd go to a large collection and play lots and lots of different pins. You may be surprised at what speaks to you. You also may end up with an early SS or an EM. Just make sure to listen to the siren's call when you hear it.

Happy hunting!

#43 10 years ago

Of the 4, I'd say HS2. Second vote would be BR just because it was my first 90s pin and it'll always have a special place in my blackened heart. Shallow rules, unbalanced scoring, but fun shots, great audio, and the best looking cabinet I've ever seen.

#44 10 years ago

Wow. I'm in a very similar boat for my old man. He currently has a collection of one with Black Rose. Seems to be holding up well. Thing is, my wife wants BR in our collection, so I need to find some trade bait for his "one-pin" setup.

#45 10 years ago

Thanks for the input.

Theme's important to me. That's part of the reason I narrowed it down to those four. I'm looking to keep it under $2500. What's Junk Yard running now? I figured that one would be a little high.

#46 10 years ago

Collection: A group of things or people.
1 pin is not a collection.

That said, HS2 of those listed. TZ would be a better choice tho.

#47 10 years ago

HS2 by a mile for me. I own it and it's staying. Sold T2. Arnold gets old after awhile. Played JY and I didn't think it was that great and it will cost more than the other 2 pins.

#48 10 years ago

I tried to like BR. Wasn't for me. I ended up buying a Hook and everyone loves it.

#49 10 years ago

What is your location, so many responses, we could start letting you know what's available. That would be your next thread. BTW, you can't have my HS2 unless you privately talk to my wife.

#50 10 years ago

Of the 4 ,, Getaway by a Long shot !!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 72.50
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Machine - For Sale
Surfside Beach, SC
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gilroy, CA
$ 9.95
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 34.95
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/one-pin-collection-jy-br-t2-or-hs2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.