(Topic ID: 245314)

One Nasty Playfield, How did wear get there?

By tomdrum

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by MrArt2u
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN5189 (resized).JPG
DSCN5188 (resized).JPG
DSCN5187 (resized).JPG
DSCN5185 (resized).JPG
#1 4 years ago

Pulled a Bally Strikes & Spares project from storage to restore it. I've had my share of these early Bally's and this is my 3rd of this title. I can't figure out how a playfield get wear under the outlane wire guides. That's just impossible. This is one nasty azz PF. It has the wear one would expect from a heavily played game on the middle rollovers. Yet all the unusual wear on the outlanes has been covered with mylar. All I can think it had full mylar that was removed and ink came up. But the wear spots are deeply indented down, you can feel the depression under the mylar. Plus from the looks of it, nothing was ever removed from the PF.

It's going to be a moot point since I am looking for a replacement PF, but has anyone seen this type of wear?

DSCN5185 (resized).JPGDSCN5185 (resized).JPGDSCN5187 (resized).JPGDSCN5187 (resized).JPGDSCN5188 (resized).JPGDSCN5188 (resized).JPGDSCN5189 (resized).JPGDSCN5189 (resized).JPG
#2 4 years ago

I’ve seen worse but assume you are just going to use it for the parts to swap in a NOS one?

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from Flipperfun:

I’ve seen worse but assume you are just going to use it for the parts to swap in a NOS one?

Yes. But how does a PF wear where a ball can't touch?

#4 4 years ago

It probably started to wear in a spot that the ball could touch it and over many years of the different heat and humidity changes it might have flaked off making it look even worse. I know that sometimes when you try to clean those older playfields it will flake off a well and people don't know when to quit.

John

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

It probably started to wear in a spot that the ball could touch it and over many years of the different heat and humidity changes it might have flaked off making it look even worse. I know that sometimes when you try to clean those older playfields it will flake off a well and people don't know when to quit.
John

Yep, I agree John. But look at the wire guides for the outlane ball returns. There is wear under those wire guides that doesn't come close to other wear plus without removing the guide you couldn't aggressively clean that. Plus these spots are deep wear, not flaking. Without the mylar you could catch a fingernail on it. Then mylar was stuck over the mess.

Again a moot point as I'm going to replace this mess with another PF but damn.

Anyone have a better condition PF to sell? NOS, CPR or decent used? (Already have a wanted ad running).

#6 4 years ago

The playfield blank could have been chemically contaminated before it was printed causing the ink to adhere poorly.

I recently restored a firepower playfield that had a 4” wide band of flaking ink from underneath the apron to the top of the playfield.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Warren, OH
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/one-nasty-playfield-how-did-wear-get-there- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.