(Topic ID: 133190)

One man...getting his pin up a bunch of stairs...how?

By dtown

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 72 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by dsmoke1986
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 13 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

cool-down-pink-prison-300x169.jpeg
    IMG-20121031-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20121030-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20121030-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20121030-WA0004.jpg
    image.jpg
    6481858031_e9df7fe3e6_b.jpg
    6246744646_5b76c4e89b_b.jpg
    5634963478_5af789fb7b_o.jpg
    5634964280_3b7cd9aafe_o.jpg
    IMG_1621.jpg
    spinach.gif
    IMG_0622.jpg

There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballlizard:

I have no choice but to take the head off and I do on the modern games as well. I have moved plenty of them solo with this approach. Takes 10 minutes to take the head off and 20 to put it on.

Do you prefer to unscrew the hinge where it attaches to the head or where it attaches to the main cab? Any other tips?

#52 4 years ago
    Quoted from dtown:

Disconnecting back box? For older games that were designed for this...yes. I agree completely and will always do that. But...for system 9 and forward, no, the head remains intact like the way it was designed to be.

What? Sure modern games are designed to allow the head to fold down, but many times it is much better to take it off. Like when it won't fit through a doorway with the head attached. Or when you have to sack up and move a pin upstairs by your oneself.

#53 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rick432:

Do you prefer to unscrew the hinge where it attaches to the head or where it attaches to the main cab? Any other tips?

My old house I would have to disconnect all heads to get them through this nightmare staircase:

IMG_1621.JPG

I would disconnect at main cab, so the head kept the hinge.

I would level every connector with a piece of label tape.

I would take photos for reference before I started so I could check.

I would not disconnect anything unless it was labelled.

I slid the cabinets down the stairs taped to a cardboard sled, I'd stand underneath with my shoulder into the cabinet and slowly let it slide one step at a time.

And most importantly:

I paid movers to bring them back up.

#54 4 years ago

Oooooh. That's just nasty frolic. My back hurts just looking at that.

#55 4 years ago

For going up basement steps I have a Harbor Freight hand winch with a 30' cable(you can tie a large rope on for more length), it has a "catch" so once it moves a couple inches it holds in place, I have it mounted to a double 2x4 and it goes across the doorway, since it catches you can reposition the machine at any time, probably paid $30 for it. You could keep the 2x4's as close to the floor as possible across the banisters and have your wife watch the progression(you might want to add a few more screws in the banister base plate and put wooden caps over the holes to match. If you can get a clear shot to a doorway take the door off and use that, same thing with a window, might work for you or not. Harbor freight sells an electric remote controlled one also.

#56 4 years ago

Forgot to mention that obviously the machine needs wrapped up securely and use bare cardboard next to the carpet so it slides easily.

#57 4 years ago

Thanks for the replies. The good thing is, most games I'd buy are meant to have the head removed. EM's are easy. I'd just gut the cabinet and carry the glass, playfield and bottom mech board separately. Cabs are pretty light when there's nothing in them.

#58 4 years ago

I invested in a Big Green Egg. Throw a rack of ribs on it and you'll have more then enough help show up.image.jpg

#59 4 years ago

Most of you have it pretty good from what I see in the pics and have straight stairs or tons of clearance. My stairs are horrible and you can't use a dolly and everything has to be done by hand. These pics are from November 2010 when I got my very first pin High Speed and as you can see the dolly is pretty much useless. You have to lift the pin down to that first landing and then shift it over to the right for the last stretch of stairs to go straight down. That corner is pretty nasty because it has these pie shaped steps so the game doesn't sit level and you have to rock the game side to side to straighten it. You can see in the second pic how tight things are and you can barely squeeze a pinky finger on both sides.

5634964280_3b7cd9aafe_o.jpg

5634963478_5af789fb7b_o.jpg

The person I bought my Roadshow from double folded the cardboard between the head and body so the game wouldn't clear at the bottom. Luckily we were able to set the game down and brother in-law was able to grab some tools to remove the slide latch on my cold room door.

6246744646_5b76c4e89b_b.jpg

Same thing happened when I bought my last game which was WH20 from a friend who wrapped it before dropping it off. The cardboard he used was so thick that on that last stretch down the walls were holding the game up itself. I should have taken a pic but I was more concerned with what to do next but we ended up just pushing it through and that is why I mummify all my games with shrink wrap. When I move games up I remove the head, pull the playfield out of the cabinet and move everything up in 3 trips.

Anyways, after moving around 35+ pins up and down over the years it me under 5 mins from the time we unload from the truck and down into my gameroom. He's been a big help and as you can see from this old collage I made of my first year in the hobby he is all smiles

6481858031_e9df7fe3e6_b.jpg

#60 4 years ago

I have never tried moving a pin with the head sticking out on the side like that. The head is always facing away. That looks tough.

#61 4 years ago

strikes me the problem would go away if you shopped them upstairs in the pinball room?

#62 4 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Marcus Trevino took a pin of mine upstairs by himself and look how small he is. I outweigh him by 100 pounds and up until recently went to the gym every day and I had a hard time bringing it down when I sold it.

Going down with a pin is substantially harder than pulling one up the stairs, IMO. There's no way in hell I would try to get a pin down normal residential stairs alone.

#63 4 years ago
    Quoted from wiredoug:

strikes me the problem would go away if you shopped them upstairs in the pinball room?

Pins that I get are REALLY dirty and that would make the wife none too happy.

#64 4 years ago
    Quoted from roffels:

I have never tried moving a pin with the head sticking out on the side like that. The head is always facing away. That looks tough.

That's the only way B/W games will fit and go down my stairs. For modern Sterns I have to rotate it the other way otherwise it won't fit through my doorways since the angle which the head is folded down into the body sticks out more. Stern cab heads also are an inch shorter then B/W.

IMG-20121030-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20121030-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20121030-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20121031-WA0004.jpg

It actually looks more painful in pics then when we are actually moving the pin down. The things we all do for this hobby

#65 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rick432:

I un bolt the hinge from the head. The pivot bolts don't like to come out and require removing a staple from the plastic cap. My Sega and Gottlieb machines were no issue with connectors. Everything only plugged back in 1 way. My williams not so. I had to remove the head to get it out from the house where I bought it and I was in a hurry so I assumed all connectors would only go one way and i was wrong. Lucky I snapped a few photos of the back box wiring before taking it apart.

#66 4 years ago
    Quoted from mwong168:

Most of you have it pretty good from what I see in the pics and have straight stairs or tons of clearance. My stairs are horrible and you can't use a dolly and everything has to be done by hand. These pics are from November 2010 when I got my very first pin High Speed and as you can see the dolly is pretty much useless.

You know what the worst part is? All that pink paint saps all your strength.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/jails-painted-pink-calm-inmates-2268174

cool-down-pink-prison-300x169.jpeg

#67 4 years ago

I can't believe people have trouble pulling a dolly with a 275 lb machine up the stairs. That's just shameful for a man.

#68 4 years ago

I have steep stairs in my house. I can move games by myself... but i have to take them all apart with out help. Head comes off, PF comes out and i do them one at a time.

#69 4 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

I have steep stairs in my house. I can move games by myself... but i have to take them all apart with out help. Head comes off, PF comes out and i do them one at a time.

Yep, why kill yourself over a pin?

Only takes a few minutes to pull the playfield and head.

#70 4 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Yep, why kill yourself over a pin?
    Only takes a few minutes to pull the playfield and head.

If mwong's buddy ever finds out pins come apart he's gonna stab somebody

#71 4 years ago

I moved pins for 13? years with an appliance dolly and brute force. It worked. But I'm also 13 years older.

A local buddy found a loaded 1200# Escalara on CL for a great price, and we split it. Came with the forklift, big wheel attachment, and plenty of other bonuses.

The first pin I moved, I realized it was worth every penny, and then some.

I like to have a 2nd person, just in case, and to spot me, but one person can do it. The big deal is balance, it takes awhile to get used to the escalara. I'd urge anyone who is likely to move a lot of games to have one of these.

I used to have a Dodge Ram with a liftgate. Some day, I might like another one

#72 4 years ago

I'm lucky I have a walk out basement...But seeing this thread makes me want to get an escalera just for the heck of it...That thing is sweet.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 21.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 209.99
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    £ 32.00
    $ 159.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pixels Arcade Games
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 5,899.99
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 109.95
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Pinball Pro
    $ 24.75
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 30.40
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 11.95
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 53.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 35.95
    Playfield - Other
    MicksPinball
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 96.77
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball-Mods.com
    There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside