(Topic ID: 133190)

One man...getting his pin up a bunch of stairs...how?

By dtown

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

cool-down-pink-prison-300x169.jpeg
    IMG-20121031-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20121030-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20121030-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20121030-WA0004.jpg
    image.jpg
    6481858031_e9df7fe3e6_b.jpg
    6246744646_5b76c4e89b_b.jpg
    5634963478_5af789fb7b_o.jpg
    5634964280_3b7cd9aafe_o.jpg
    IMG_1621.jpg
    spinach.gif
    IMG_0622.jpg
    There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 8 years ago

The wife and I just moved and it took three "normal" guys busting their asses to get my Getaway up to the second floor on a normal hand truck that it was strapped to. Now, I'm not a weakling and can move a game around on flat surfaces by myself but...my new pinball room is on the second floor now. And, when I'm done in the garage with repairs, I need a way to get the heavy mo-fo up there. Modern games weigh around 275 which is just insane for me to lug up with a regular hand truck. I know there's appliance one's out there and I'm looking for suggestions. The wife gave me a whole bedroom that I can do with what I want. Yay! I just got to get the fuckers up there when I'm done with shopping in the garage. And most of the time I may have ONE guy, if that, for help.

The steps! Jebus!

IMG_0622.JPGIMG_0622.JPG

#2 8 years ago

Whole house is upside down. You're screwed!

#3 8 years ago

One word. Escalera

#4 8 years ago

I fixed it, Kenada. @#$%^ you!

#5 8 years ago

My apartment is on the 3rd floor. I do it by my lonesome with a hand truck. It takes some ingenuity to do it.

#6 8 years ago

Could you shimmy it up the carpeting?

#7 8 years ago

just roll it up end over end

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from trevorm:

One word. Escalera

You can rent those for a day... much cheaper than a bad back.

#9 8 years ago

Disconnect the head from the body, remove the playfield from the body. Make 3 trips.

#10 8 years ago

Physics, Incline Plane = less force to move object.
    Remove the Backbox, remove the playfield. Wrap machine to protect it. Slide the cabinet up the stairs.

#11 8 years ago

Harbor Freight appliance dolly and a strong wife!

#13 8 years ago

spinach.gifspinach.gif

#14 8 years ago

Disconnecting back box? For older games that were designed for this...yes. I agree completely and will always do that. But...for system 9 and forward, no, the head remains intact like the way it was designed to be.

#15 8 years ago

4 men and a case of microbrew.

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from fumbleflippers:

just roll it up end over end

LOL.

#17 8 years ago

Do you have an appliance dolly? What kind of hand truck are you using that it took 3 people? Those stairs don't look like the end of the world for 2 people. Should just be straight up, set it down on something to pivot it, then straight up again, then pivot again. If you're actually limited to one person... remove the head and playfield or get an Escalera.

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from dtown:

Now, I'm not a weakling IMG_0622.JPG

You keep using those words.

#19 8 years ago

I use an Escalera to get my games out of the basement. It's a big initial investment, but pays for itself in saved back pain in no time flat. Also my wife is just over 100lbs so not much help moving heavy stuff. I really wouldn't want her to anyway.

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from trevorm:

One word. Escalera

I bought one, for getting games down and up from my basement. I can do it by myself with my wife spotting edges and corners for me so nothing gets caught.

It really is the only way you're going to do it by yourself.

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from TomN:

I use an Escalera to get my games out of the basement. It's a big initial investment, but pays for itself in saved back pain in no time flat. Also my wife is just over 100lbs so not much help moving heavy stuff. I really wouldn't want her to anyway.

It's amazing how many friends you suddenly have in the neighborhood when you get an Escalera. Almost as much as when you put in a swimming pool.

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from DefaultGen:

Do you have an appliance dolly? What kind of hand truck are you using that it took 3 people? Those stairs don't look like the end of the world for 2 people. Should just be straight up, set it down on something to pivot it, then straight up again, then pivot again. If you're actually limited to one person... remove the head and playfield or get an Escalera.

+1

Those stairs are easy for an appliance dolly and two people total. Just strap it on good and take it one stair at a time. One pulling on top and you on the bottom lifting a stair at a time.

Those stairs are an easy two or three minute workout.

#24 8 years ago

+1 for the escalera. Can't imagine moving games out of my basement without one.

#25 8 years ago

+5 for Escalera. I just moved IJ, LOTR and Congo this past weekend up/down my stairs...all by myself....barefooted.

#26 8 years ago

I had a wider door put into my basement. Paid for itself instantly with being able to just wheel in games on pinball skates.

But if you have to have it upstairs, escalara. No question, it's worth it.

#27 8 years ago

Another +1 for the Escalera. Pricey.. but so is your back.

#28 8 years ago

Three words. Es. Ca. Lera.

#29 8 years ago

I used a regular hand truck with appx. 8" tires on it. Each step was a bitch to get over. I'll look at getting an appliance dolly. Something with tracks on it. The Escalera looks like a good product but no way do I have 2k to spend on a dolly. Thanks to those who helped.

Mods. You can close this thread.

#30 8 years ago

If you're anywhere near 47401, I'd be glad to help. IBTL.

#31 8 years ago

My biggest problem is that halfway down the stairs to the basement, there's a small landing. There the stairs take a ninety degree turn before they continue all the way down.

The issue is that the landing is TOO DAMNED SMALL to allow the pin to rotate 90 degrees while on the dolly. To rotate, one has to be able to lift the pin and slowly rotate simultaneously while going up and down the stairs just before and after the landing.

And I am not NEARLY strong enough to do it (anymore). An escalera makes it that much heavier to do the rotation.

Any ideas?

#32 8 years ago

Might have to do what I have to do. Older house with small door, so I have to take the head off of every game I take in or out of the house. Saves quite a bit of weight, but it sucks having to do it especially when I was collecting the newer games.

#33 8 years ago
    Quoted from roffels:

Disconnect the head from the body, remove the playfield from the body. Make 3 trips.

^^^This. More work, but MUCH less work on your body and less worry of losing control and damaging the machine.

#34 8 years ago
    Quoted from dtown:

I used a regular hand truck with appx. 8" tires on it. Each step was a bitch to get over. I'll look at getting an appliance dolly. Something with tracks on it.

I use an appliance dolly, a nice one with the tracks, and it works really well. I know the Escalera would be much better but I don't have an Escalera and the appliance dolly serves me just fine. Certainly much better than the regular hand truck.

#35 8 years ago

Marcus Trevino took a pin of mine upstairs by himself and look how small he is. I outweigh him by 100 pounds and up until recently went to the gym every day and I had a hard time bringing it down when I sold it.

#36 8 years ago
    Quoted from trevorm:

One word. Escalera

Rent one, buy one. Only way to save yourself!

It's amazing, easily ramped up a vintage Coke 1950's coke machine, 81 Cavalier, into my truck and got it off myself when I got home (and its heavier).

Piece of cake. Sweated my ass off but omg it made it so easy.

Other option, get another big guy and kill yourself. Those stairs are wider than mine.

#37 8 years ago

Lectro-Truck. Preferred by route operators in North America.

www.lectrotruck.com

#38 8 years ago

Don't try to do it alone. Even if you have the right equipment, you should have another person to help spot you.

Throw a pinball party and invite a few friends over. Beer, pizza and pinball should get em' over!

#39 8 years ago

Your choice. It's how I've handled my games (system 11 and up) without incident or injury.

Quoted from dtown:

Disconnecting back box? For older games that were designed for this...yes. I agree completely and will always do that. But...for system 9 and forward, no, the head remains intact like the way it was designed to be.

#40 8 years ago

LIONMAN could do this with one arm.
    The other tied behind his back.

#41 8 years ago

Make that two hands tied behind his back and pushing with his sword of fury

#42 8 years ago

Add your location... I know a few insiders that would help out....

NT...

#43 8 years ago
    Quoted from TVP:

+1
    Those stairs are easy for an appliance dolly and two people total. Just strap it on good and take it one stair at a time. One pulling on top and you on the bottom lifting a stair at a time.
    Those stairs are an easy two or three minute workout.

Or trip to the emergency room for the guy on the bottom.

#44 8 years ago

Yet another +1 for the Escalera. Have an older model that I picked up used for $100. Works like a charm. The right tool for the job!

#45 8 years ago

Yeah, escalera. You can pick them up cheaper than new. I even think their site had (at one point) resources for used ones.

#46 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rick432:

The issue is that the landing is TOO DAMNED SMALL to allow the pin to rotate 90 degrees while on the dolly.

My issue too. Anyone have suggestions?

When movers brought my pins down the basement, one big guy used hand straps and carried a dozen pins by himself. Not typical...

Eric

#47 8 years ago
    Quoted from Robotoes:

Yeah, escalera. You can pick them up cheaper than new. I even think their site had (at one point) resources for used ones.

I bought mine used as well for less than 1/2 price.

A pinsider once commented that they "cost less than a bad back". Great advice.

#48 8 years ago

Shop them upstairs in your gameroom or A/C your garage and move everything there and claim that as your mancave.

I'd have to try the MacGyver approach. Make a sled out of a solid piece of cardboard, push game up stairs. Absolutey, nothing risky about that method. . Seriously though, I would be that guy to try it.

#49 8 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

I'd have to try the MacGyver approach. Make a sled out of a solid piece of cardboard, push game up stairs. Absolutey, nothing risky about that method. . Seriously though, I would be that guy to try it.

A slightly safer version:

#50 8 years ago

I have no choice but to take the head off and I do on the modern games as well. I have moved plenty of them solo with this approach. Takes 10 minutes to take the head off and 20 to put it on.

There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/one-mangetting-his-pin-up-a-bunch-of-stairshow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.