• 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Chrisbee
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

wild_cherry.jpg
drums_ted.jpg
There are 100 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 8 years ago

tommy to tone! "Jenny" aka 8675309!

For a good time call!!!

Sorry no link, I challenged with computer.

#52 8 years ago

One of my favorite one-hit wonder songs. Len's "Steal My Sunshine" ......

#53 8 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

» YouTube video

YEEEEEES! I was in High School when that song was hot. Great memories. "Well, does he like butter tarts?"

#54 8 years ago

Here is another 1 Hit Wonder. Kyu Sakamoto released Sukiyaki in the early 60's. A big hit world wide.

#55 8 years ago

The 1980's was the decade of one hit wonders......

One of my favs was "life in a northern town" by Dream Academy.....bought an 80's greatest hits CD a very long time ago just because this song was on the disc.

#56 8 years ago

Sniff -N- the Tears "Driver's Seat"

#57 8 years ago

Lunatic Fringe by Red Rider.

Major Tom by Peter Shilling

#58 8 years ago

My all time favorite one hit wonder:

Spacehog - In the meantime

#59 8 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

Lunatic Fringe by Red Rider.

Slow down, Not so Fast there, SealClubber. Red Rider had 8 Top 50 hits in the US. In Canada they had 14 Top 100 Hits.

#60 8 years ago

seeburg220, you listed Donnie Iris as a one-hit wonder with Ah Leah...well, he also had a pretty big hit with Love is like a rock. Technically, he's not a one-hit wonder.

AlexF you mentioned The Tubes with "she's a beauty", they also had a pretty big hit with "talk to you later"...so, again, technically not a one-hit wonder.

One of my favorite one-hit wonders - Carl Douglas with Kung Fu Fighting!

#61 8 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Slow down, Not so Fast there, SealClubber. Red Rider had 8 Top 50 hits in the US. In Canada they had 14 Top 100 Hits.

Yeah if we are talking one hit wonders here they don't belong in the "club"....clubber

#62 8 years ago

Thunder Island

#63 8 years ago
Quoted from herbertbsharp:

My all time favorite one hit wonder:
Spacehog - In the meantime
» YouTube video

This is still a fantastic song. Good stuff.

#64 8 years ago

I love this thread. Lot's of great songs that were lost in my head. I do have a question for someone with a music business background. Let's say a solo artist wrote and performed a one hit wonder. For this exercise, let's say it was a song equal in popularity to the Eagle's Hotel California. Can this artist live off the royalties for the rest of his life without working again? If so, what do you think his yearly income would be?

#65 8 years ago
Quoted from Steve-in-CT:

I love this thread. Lot's of great songs that were lost in my head. I do have a question for someone with a music business background. Let's say a solo artist wrote and performed a one hit wonder. For this exercise, let's say it was a song equal in popularity to the Eagle's Hotel California. Can this artist live off the royalties for the rest of his life without working again? If so, what do you think his yearly income would be?

Bobby Picket in an interview (in the early 1980's), once said that Monster Mash will keep him comfortable for the rest of his life. Even with Monster Mash being a seasonal hit.

In the 1970's if an artist made a $1,000,000.00 on a hit, they could retire.

#66 8 years ago

Apparently I was absent the day Spacehog had their hit. I've listened to it a couple of times and just don't recognize the song.

Thunder Island - totally forgot about that one. That's a song that you just can't help but sing along to.

#67 8 years ago

No list of one-hit wonders would be complete without this 70's classic ...

#68 8 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Ha, I was working at the arcade that summer and we only god 1 crappy radio station with mostly dud music, that was aboot the only good one they ever played.
It was tough working there during the lillith fair years...uff.

1 week later
#69 8 years ago

Billy Thorpe - Children Of The Sun

#70 8 years ago

Billy don't be a hero.

#71 8 years ago

And....

#72 8 years ago

Iron Butterfly In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida

#73 8 years ago

Der Kommisar by After the Fire

#74 8 years ago

I'm not sure they were a one-hit wonder but I'm pretty sure they were. Angel eyes from Steelheart

I'm also pretty sure this was a one hit wonder. I always find myself singing to this one when I hear it. Chevy Van from Sammy Johns

#75 8 years ago

Andrew Gold - Lonely Boy

Commander Cody - Hot Rod Lincoln

#76 8 years ago

I can't beleive no ones posted Gangnam stlye. Total one hit wonder!

#77 8 years ago

One of my favourite one hit wonders is b double o-t-y. It's a blast.

#78 8 years ago

Industry was an American new wave band formed in 1978 in New York. On establishment, they were known as Industrial Complex, with their name later changing to Industry. In 1981, the band became commercial but disbanded three years later. Their only album was Stranger to Stranger from 1984 which spawned the hit single, "State of the Nation".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industry_(band)

#79 8 years ago

"Together in Electric Dreams" is a song by the British singer and composer Philip Oakey and Italian composer and producer Giorgio Moroder. It was written by Oakey and Moroder and recorded for the original soundtrack of the 1984 film Electric Dreams.

It later formed part of the joint album Philip Oakey & Giorgio Moroder, released in 1985. Released as a single in the UK in September 1984 it proved a major commercial success, even eclipsing the original film it was intended to promote. It reached No.3 in the UK Singles Chart, staying in the charts for 13 weeks. It was the only song from the brief Oakey/Moroder partnership that achieved commercial success, and was released as a single in the United States in 1988.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Together_in_Electric_Dreams

#80 8 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

» YouTube video

Dude! I love this song too. Don't know why but it just reminds me of summer.

#81 8 years ago

Black Betty by Ram Jam!!!
And
Der Kommissar by Falco!!

Without a doubt, one hit wonders!

#82 8 years ago
Quoted from kklank:

Der Kommissar by Falco!!

Kklank, you missed on Falco. His song, Rock me Amadeus, also was an international Hit.

#83 8 years ago
Quoted from mac622:

Andrew Gold - Lonely Boy

"Thank-You for Being a Friend", there Mac622, is also a large hit Andrew Gold.

#84 8 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Is that song Na Na Na Na Hey hey hey a one hit wonder?

Steam s only hit

#85 8 years ago
Quoted from Don44:

Not sure why I always liked this song so much but "Come on Eileen"

You tube come on Eileen sugar land and SarahBarellis lot, of fun

#86 8 years ago

Smokin in the boys room.

#87 8 years ago
Quoted from Strummy:

» YouTube video

Numan a one hit wonder!?!?!
Nah, I listen to him all the time and is currently one of my favorites. Something like 32 albums released and recently moved from UK to US.

Down in the part - lots of other groups use this as cover song.
Rip (good rocking song) along with similar song Torn, and My Jesus are good ones from his Pure album.
2011 - released Dead son rising, few good songs but not best...
2014 - released songs from a broken mind, not one of his better albums.
Tonight listening to his Hybrid album. Didn't like it at first but it grows on you. Has a real good version of his "Bleed" song on it.

2 weeks later
#88 8 years ago

wild cherry.jpgwild cherry.jpg

#89 8 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

Numan a one hit wonder!?!?!
Nah, I listen to him all the time and is currently one of my favorites. Something like 32 albums released and recently moved from UK to US.
» YouTube video
Down in the part - lots of other groups use this as cover song.
Rip (good rocking song) along with similar song Torn, and My Jesus are good ones from his Pure album.
2011 - released Dead son rising, few good songs but not best...
2014 - released songs from a broken mind, not one of his better albums.
Tonight listening to his Hybrid album. Didn't like it at first but it grows on you. Has a real good version of his "Bleed" song on it.

Gotta agree with this. He may have only had one 'hit' by definition, but his influence in the industry can not be overstated.

#90 8 years ago
Quoted from dhutton:

Gotta agree with this. He may have only had one 'hit' by definition, but his influence in the industry can not be overstated.

In the U.S. Gary Numan only had the 1 hit, Cars, which got to #9 on the charts. In the U.K. he has had many hits in the Top 40 range.

#91 8 years ago

Love Plus One” – Haircut 100

Ebn Ozn - AEIOU Sometimes Y

The Nails - 88 Lines About 44 Women

#92 8 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

In the U.S. Gary Numan only had the 1 hit, Cars, which got to #9 on the charts. In the U.K. he has had many hits in the Top 40 range.

There were a lot of bands like this that were big in the UK but only had one or two hits in the US. Madness would be a great example. Over here, they are mostly only known for "Our House". The US market can be very fickle and hard to break in to. Even ABBA, as huge as they were worldwide, was not very popular over here in their heyday.

#93 8 years ago

Stan Getz & Astrud Gilberto - The Girl From Ipanema (1964)

The Castaways - Liar Liar (1965)

The Easybeats - Friday On My Mind (1966)

The Strawberry Alarm Clock - Incense & Peppermints (1967)

Desmond Dekker & The Aces - Israelites (1968)

#t=76

Mercy - Love Can Make You Happy (1969)

Shocking Blue - Venus (1970)

Wadsworth Mansion - Sweet Mary (1971)

Gallery - Nice To Be With You (1972)

Skylark - Wildflower(1973)

Terry Jacks - Seasons In The Sun (1974)

Michael Martin Murphy - Wildfire (1975)

Starbuck - Moonlight Feels Right (1976)

Ram Jam - Black Betty (1977)

Walter Egan - Magnet and Steel (1978)

Nick Lowe - Cruel To Be Kind (1979)

The Vapors - Turning Japanese (1980)

#94 8 years ago

Richard Harris - MacArthur Park (1968)

#95 8 years ago

And when I was 16:-

Boomtown Rats did have others songs, but who remembers them!!

#96 8 years ago

Boomtown Rats also had "Up All Night". Good song, really bad video.

1 week later
#97 8 years ago

Really great early 80s synth-pop (this is the 12" rather than the single). I think this was their only "hit", but it's one of the best of the genre.

Quirky Dutch Prog, perhaps the only (if not, then definitely the best) pairing of hair-on-fire riffing and yodeling in the history of Rock! (Jan Akkerman is one of the tragically forgotten 70s guitar gods.) Released several good albums, but this is the closest they came to a "hit".

#98 8 years ago

Had a bunch I found then with one wrong swipe of finger gone.

For consideration.
Tommy tutone - jenny/8675309
Eddie murphy - party all the time

ok and patio lanterns kind of like Donnie iris.

#99 8 years ago

Oops don't know what happened to that link. And he was wearing a large striped shirt you just don't see anymore.

How about Bob and Doug great White north. Takeoff!!

#100 8 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

The Nails - 88 Lines About 44 Women

I enjoyed this OHW!

There are 100 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/one-hit-wonderspost-your-song-link/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.