(Topic ID: 42099)

One family outing to a pub was all it took...

By VolunteerPin

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

I have been learning from the folks on this forum for the last couple of weeks. I have wanted to purchase a pin for a new game room/theater we are building but my wife thought I was absolutely crazy. Sound familiar?

So, I took her and my 3 kids...boys 9 and 10 and a girl, 4...to a local pub yesterday afternoon for some dinner and some play. Barley's Tap Room in Knoxville currently has a few stand-up arcade games and the following pins: AF, PoTC, and LOTR. After only a couple of plays my wife was hooked! She is a very competitive individual and she hated that she was sucking so bad. She also got very fired up when she did relatively well. This was essentially her first time playing pinball in her life. I grew up in the heyday of arcades so spent a lot of time at the mall as a kid, mostly playing arcades and very few pins.

Anyhow, even before we had time to down a few drinks, she was on the hook and wanting a fully functioning arcade at the house! Her desire went from thinking I was totally off my rocker to now wanting at least 4 pins and a couple of stand-up arcades (maybe a multicade and a stand up shooter like Buck Hunter or similar).

So, before last night was up, I had my deposit down on a NIB Tron Pro which I will be picking up on Wednesday. May also pull the trigger on a nice LOTR I've found online. (Out of the 3 pins we played yesterday, LOTR was the favorite for all of us).

The bill at Barley's was about $50 plus the $20 in quarters...Oh yeah, plus the nearly $10k I'll be spending this week if I buy both pins. Maybe I'll sell the camper to pay for it. Who knows.

I'll update as the week progresses.

So, I simply wanted to share my excitement. Y'all have a great day!

Darin

#2 11 years ago

If only my wife was hooked. I doubt she'll ever will. But kudos on the new pins and the newly converted wife.

#3 11 years ago

Congrats! Always nice to have the wife want to go all-in on your hobby too!

#4 11 years ago

Tron + LOTR = good start to the collection.

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

Tron + LOTR = good start to the collection.

I'm definitely getting the Tron. I'm leaning towards the LOTR because we played it and liked it. There are many options for the second pin. I keep hearing so much about the AC/DC that something like that is tempting also.

Any thoughts? Overall, thinking about staying with the movie themes if for no other reason than my kids' interests. I am easily swayed, however.

#6 11 years ago

Extremely refreshing to read your thread. Congrats on having an ultra-cool wife and for jumping into pin ownership with Tron. Your family will love it. LOTR would be a great companion pin and good match to balance out playing times (thinking of whole family here). ACDC rocks (pun intended) and sitting side-by-side with Tron would be a speed freaks wet dream.

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from Silverballer:

Extremely refreshing to read your thread. Congrats on having an ultra-cool wife and for jumping into pin ownership with Tron. Your family will love it. LOTR would be a great companion pin and good match to balance out playing times (thinking of whole family here). ACDC rocks (pun intended) and sitting side-by-side with Tron would be a speed freaks wet dream.

If I did go ACDC, would I need to go with the premium or is the pro okay? Problem is I'd rather keep my total purchase about $10k. I'm getting the Tron for $4500.

#8 11 years ago

We're glad you have your priorities straight, like the rest of us.

Welcome, and all the best to you.

Brian

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from VolunteerPin:

If I did go ACDC, would I need to go with the premium or is the pro okay? Problem is I'd rather keep my total purchase about $10k. I'm getting the Tron for $4500.

Vol, My recommendation on that one is if you go acdc go with the premium. I own the premium and played the pro a lot before buying. There is a difference in play and light show that in my opinion is worth the money. Either way, plan on upgrading the speakers as that makes a huge difference ( you can search on this site how to do it for about 80 dollars). The shaker is not as big a deal on this one yet, but may change with future software changes.

Your Tron sounds like a great buy. You can spend a small fortune on upgrades for this one. I like the shaker , LED's and sound system upgrades as a start ( if not already equipped).

Lastly, if the family liked LOTR, go for it before ACDC. I always am looking for pins the family will play. It is deep and well designed.Also one you can also sell if you want down the road. ACDC Premiums will be easier to find for a while. Good luck and I enjoyed reading your very positive post. It made me smile. Sully

#10 11 years ago

You are blessed to have a wife on board with buying pins. My wife loves pinball so i never hear any complaints about buying a game. If my wife makes the comment she likes a certain game i try to get it. I would recommend pins that the wife and family enjoy as that will keep them involved .

#11 11 years ago

LOTR was the favorite for all of us

That makes perfect sense to me

#12 11 years ago

Congrats on your first pin!!!

#13 11 years ago

LOTR is a great game with a ton of depth. It should have a ton of staying power and will provide great enjoyment when you and your family get to destroy the ring. Getting to Valinor will be a tremendous challenge.
    Howie

#14 11 years ago

If you going to get AC/DC I would get the premium.

But if you find a LOTR in good shape, and you enjoy it, you can't go wrong with it. I own them both, prefer LOTR, and think that it may be the best game out there period.

Either way, congrats! This is how it begins.....

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from Silverballer:

Hey that's my lineup.....

#16 11 years ago

You're in trouble now!

#17 11 years ago

Great times. Congratulations !

LTG : )

#18 11 years ago

I'm definitely getting the Tron. I'm leaning towards the LOTR because we played it and liked it. There are many options for the second pin. I keep hearing so much about the AC/DC that something like that is tempting also.
    Any thoughts? Overall, thinking about staying with the movie themes if for no other reason than my kids' interests. I am easily swayed, however.

I'd go with the LotR for now. It would be easy enough to sell off if you tire of it. I doubt that will happen - more like how to figure out what the next game should be. You did say the plan already is to accumulate at least 4 pins.

Mike O.

#19 11 years ago

Yeah, I say go for LOTR as well, if only to reinforce your wife's quick appreciation. It's a great game but roll with it!

Those two pins should keep you busy/pin-lust-temporarily-sated and, in the meantime, I suggest you take your family somewhere else with other pins to play before making next purchases. 'Family Forum' vote would be very cool.

Great story.

#20 11 years ago

Ac/dc changed and ignited the whole pinball addiction for me, my kids and my wife (not addicted but she will play ). Get the premium with shaker. 3 of 5 senses overloaded

#21 11 years ago

UPDATE:

The pub outing was on Saturday...my Tron got delivered last night! Played it until nearly 2am and then got in a few games before work this morning.

I am picking up my LOTR on Saturday. Put the deposit on it just a few hours before the Tron was delivered.

So, I went from an evening at a pub with my family to owning two pins in just a matter of a couple days. Quick turn around, heh?

Darin

#22 11 years ago

Congrats on the wife going all-in. It is nice to have a spouse on board with your craziness.

Is the LOTR the one on the Chattanooga CL? If so, thank you for buying it. I've been debating it for a little bit, but don't have the money, and now the temptation will be gone. And if you ever get bored with it, let me know. (I doubt it will happen, but you never know.) I'm in Hixson and my sister is in Knoxville with her new baby, so we're up there a lot these days. Glad to see more pins showing up in Tennessee!

#23 11 years ago

Nice mate you won't look back

#24 11 years ago

No. I got this one from a guy outside of Charlottesville, VA. We are meeting in Kingsport on Saturday. Paid $4800.

I did speak and text a lot with the owner of the one on the Chattanooga CL. If you are interested in knowing more, give me a PM and I'll give you the info I know and his rock bottom price.

#25 11 years ago

Nice you'll like LOTR. I bought mine a few years ago and it's still one of my favorites.

#26 11 years ago

Welcome to the hobby!!!! Great story.

Tron + LoTR are great together.
    LoTR is the best pin out there IMO. I sold mine after 7 years of ownership which is saying a lot. I just wanted to mix up the collection. I'll own it again someday.

Piece of advice for LoTR newbs. Learn how to start fellowship of the ring, the two towers, and return of the king multiballs and learn that doing all 3 in one game gives you a shot to destroy the ring. That's what I did for my nephews - they loved trying to get to the DTR sequence. I thought it was so cool when they would trap the ball and ask, "uncle steve, can you make the pippen shot for me to start FoTR?" lol. The rest of the rules will come in time. Enjoy

#27 11 years ago

Oh and if your kids ask you to play LoTR with them. Don't start a two player or vs game but throw it on 5ball and play co-op. play as a team. Don't switch off balls, but modes. Have them start and tell them to shoot the ring and then you'll do the mode, then switch spots again. Teaches them to trap balls, plus it gets them more involved because they're playing WITH dad, not against dad. Great bonding.

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

Oh and if your kids ask you to play LoTR with them. Don't start a two player or vs game but throw it on 5ball and play co-op. play as a team. Don't switch off balls, but modes. Have them start and tell them to shoot the ring and then you'll do the mode, then switch spots again. Teaches them to trap balls, plus it gets them more involved because they're playing WITH dad, not against dad. Great bonding.

Great idea. As these are my first pins, I have A LOT to learn. I'm assuming if I go into the menu system I can change the number of balls/game? As my wife is ultra-competitive (and so far really sucky with pinball - at least at the pub and a few games last night) this will probably serve us as a family. LOL< my wife is about as good as my 4 year old daughter with her flippers. That being said though, she loves it!

Any ideas on easy teaching points for Tron?

#29 11 years ago

I'm assuming if I go into the menu system I can change the number of balls/game?

Yeah. You can change all kinds of settings in the menu, including balls/game. If you have the most updated code (version 10, I think), you can enable a thing called the cave troll sequence as well. I would recommend enabling it, it only happens during multiball with the ballsaver enabled. So it would probably offer up more fun with no risk of draining.

There are plenty of custom settings that people use at home that make the game more fun for families and home use. Im sure you will figure it out. But if you need help, just ask.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/one-family-outing-to-a-pub-was-all-it-took and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.