Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by Hula
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 months ago

I recently bought a Bally Turf King that came with an interesting set of articles about one-ball horse race (and bingo) games. Many were written by Russ Jensen. The surprise for me was that the one-ball horse race format was invented not by Bally, but Gottlieb, with their Daily-Races of 1936. And they really nailed the horse race format; it didn't evolve all that much until Don Hooker got involved with what is described as his maiden effort, Bally's Citation. (Get that horse race reference?) Turf King would be Hooker's third game. If you are curious about the one-balls, this is the package that came with my Turf King:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v33u2nzytorkmnr/Earlly%20Russ%20Jensen%20%28and%20others%29%20writings%20about%20one-ball%20horse%20race%20games%20and%20bingos%20-%20these%20came%20with%20my%20Turf%20King.pdf?dl=0

#2 4 months ago

Interesting information. Thanks for sharing. I had a beautiful Turf King and enjoyed it immensely. If I had the room I would have never let it go.

1 month later
#3 3 months ago
Quoted from BlackCatBone:

I recently bought a Bally Turf King that came with an interesting set of articles about one-ball horse race (and bingo) games. Many were written by Russ Jensen.

Thanks for sharing the articles on one-ball horse machines. Finding research and info on these niche games is not often easy. Interestingly, Bally actually issued a pair of payout/credit games before world war 2 with '41 Fairmont and Pimlico respectively. The two games featured multiplying odds, Spell the Name, A,B,C,D, Field odds, Left and Right Trophy, and Feature payouts. A full 7 years before Bally's Citation, these games have been often overlooked having debuted only a month or so prior to WWII.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 16.99
$ 25.00
Apparel - Unisex
Project Pinball Charity
$ 19.99
Playfield - Decals
Arcade Moi Ca
£ 29.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
DevilsMuse Arcade
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 21.00
$ 89.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 5.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy
Cabinet - Other
Docquest Pinball Mods
$ 99.95
Cabinet Parts
Merf's Pins
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball
$ 299.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 66.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 22.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 40.00
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 14.00
$ 109.99
$ 90.00
Lighting - Led
Geeteoh Electronics

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside