watsthis (resized).jpg
Overall back box (resized).jpg
Below shelf 4 (resized).jpg
Shelf 4 (resized).jpg
Shelf 3 (resized).jpg
Shelf 2 (resized).jpg
Shelf 1 (resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

Hello. I am working on a Bally Victory Special and maybe you can help. I am having a problem with the multiplier function. I start a game and raise the ball. I then play more replays to increase the multiplier. The lights increase each time up to the four times. When the ball goes in a winning hole the payout is only the regular amount and not the multiplied amount. It doesn't matter if it is 2x 3x or 4x. Also on the schematic there is a multiple plug between the multiple relay and the multiple lights. I can't find this anywhere on the machine. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

#2 3 years ago

if anyone wants to take a shot at figuring out the schematics, you can find some one-ball paperwork at https://bingo.cdyn.com/machines/bally_one_balls/

some info for victory special (and payout version victory derby) is there, but what I've never seen is manual info that shows what units look like or how they are wired.

I've never seen a victory special, but I have a Y chromosome, so that means I have comments

I dunno if the multiple relay is relevant for the 2-4x pay ... it's not clear how the projector unit works and especially what the middle ratchet thing is (see "inside backbox" pic on ipdb.org).

either something is causing the projector unit to step multiple times for each step of the payout counter, the payout counter is being reset and the game pays multiple times (like jockey special), or even weirder, the number of ratchet teeth the projector unit grabs on each step-up varies via some mechanical linkage magic.

the schem is ... crude. If you want to take lots of highest possible resolution pictures and post them here or email to [email protected], that will help produce more questions.

#3 3 years ago

Hi. Just some info to help figure out what the schematic is showing in places. The free play projector shines an image of replays on the back glass. It can only step up or down one tooth at a time. Each step is 2 replays. All the wins are in multiples of two so stepping up is ok. When a replay is used for a new game a minus one light comes on meaning whatever the replay shows is actually one less. The next replay used would step down and show the actual amount. The minus one unit cycles every other replay counting down. The middle ratchet on the top shelf is the multiplier unit that steps up from 1- 4 times max and resets to 1 times at the start of a new game. It is in the 6 volt section of the schematic. Shelf one is the top one. The ball has to be lifted to the runway in order to increase the multiplier by cycling a replay or coin. Each cycle changes the selected horses, odds, daily double if lit etc.

Overall back box (resized).jpgOverall back box (resized).jpgBelow shelf 4 (resized).jpgBelow shelf 4 (resized).jpgShelf 4 (resized).jpgShelf 4 (resized).jpgShelf 3 (resized).jpgShelf 3 (resized).jpgShelf 2 (resized).jpgShelf 2 (resized).jpgShelf 1 (resized).jpgShelf 1 (resized).jpg
#4 3 years ago

ok, so in the below, the green arrow is pointing to the projector step-up arm/pawl.

what's the part circled in red doing?

it kinda looks like it limits the travel of the step-up arm, and as the multiplier unit steps up, it allows the step up arm to pivot further left, which means the pawl grabs more ratchet teeth when the projector step-up coil is powered. If so, that's how the score is multiplied.

you can try it by manually stepping the projector, then step up the multiplier piece and manually step the projector again. If it always just increments the numbers one step (2 credits and the step-up plunger goes all the way into the coil and hits the stop), then disregard all the above except the question on what is the part in the red circle doing.

watsthis (resized).jpgwatsthis (resized).jpg

#5 3 years ago

Well you nailed it. The red circle is part of the multiplier. The forward side has wipers for the lights and the back side does limit the step up arm like you said. At four times multiplier it gets a big bite on the replay wheel. I couldn't actually see the replay number because the wheel is all distorted from heat so the projector lens has been removed because it would jam the wheel. After trying some tests I can see that it does function correctly. I was going on sound but as I have learned, one pulse can mean several different out comes, unlike a regular bingo where each pulse is one replay. It is quite the mechanism and a clever design. Thank you very much for the help. I guess I only have to try to get the replay wheel straightened out so the lens can be reinstalled.

#6 3 years ago

if you take the projector apart, please post pics of the pieces.

it looks like the projector disc is screened opaque with the numbers clear so the light shines thru the digits. If so, one solution if your disc is shot is to make a new one with a vinyl cutter and a polycarbonate disc.

may be worth replacing the lamp with an led to get rid of the heat:
https://cointaker.com/products/63-super-5

#7 3 years ago

Here is the projection unit. The bulb is out of view to the left. I couldn't get the pin out for the disc retainer without damaging something so I used a heat gun to get the worst of the warping out of the replay disc. It can at least rotate now without jamming.

Projector (resized).jpgProjector (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/one-ball-horse-race-tech-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.