(Topic ID: 115877)

One Armed Pinball - I Mean it!

By CaryCarmichael

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

maxresdefault (1) (resized).jpg
    IMG_3269 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3268 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3267 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1803 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1798 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1797 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1726 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1795 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1794 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1791 (resized).JPG
    IMG_8643 (resized).JPG
    IMG_8642 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2317 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2315 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2314 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mhulsebu.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

To expand on your idea. What if you had a padded bar, but the bar stayed stationary. And you put a flipper button on the bar where your thumb would hit. Have it mechanically or electronically move a device on the end of the bar to push the button in. That way the bar would be stable, not sliding back and forth. Would give the person duel control and both would feel like flipper buttons and respond as such. You would only need the pusher to move 1/4"in and out.

I have been thinking of similar devices for my wife (quadriplegic). I think it is definitely doable, just need to find the time to work out the details and build.

#33 9 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Actually I know someone that is in process for designing a controller just for this. It's a box that sits on your lap with 2 large buttons on it. Having his games customized with special plug that will go out of the coin door, and he can plug right into his controller. Allows his games to be played with the controller or without.

Please keep me updated on how this turns out, this is exactly what I was envisioning for my home machines.

#41 9 years ago

The Christopher Reeve foundation has linked to this business in the past, but I am unsure if they are still around. I sent an email a couple years ago but never heard back. Also the machines were very expensive (like $14K, if I remember correctly...and that was years ago).

http://www.ucandocentral.com/

Here is their flyer.

UcandoBrochure_Page_1.jpgUcandoBrochure_Page_1.jpg UcandoBrochure_Page_2.jpgUcandoBrochure_Page_2.jpg
    #53 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I will be stopping over at Ben Hecks this Friday and will try to plant a seed. I have some ideas for a slick device but Ben is a mad scientist and may be able to come up with something cool.

That would be awesome!

3 weeks later
    #68 9 years ago
    Quoted from jamieflowers:

You could then put two buttons on each side so no matter which arm had the issue someone could play

This is want I am looking into doing for my wife...but have the buttons be remote (or moveable). She is a quadriplegic and can't easily push a button like normal. For her it would be better to be on her lap (plus she usually has to face a machine side ways since her wheelchair will not go under a machine).

#95 9 years ago

Very nice!

2 weeks later
    #108 9 years ago

Ben is featuring this build next week on his YouTube channel "The Ben Heck Show"

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChturLXwYxwTOf_5krs0qvA

I am really looking forward to seeing it complete and hoping to get one/build one for my wife soon after - although probably running out of time to get it made before TPF

1 week later
    #130 9 years ago

I'd be interested in buying a set or two for my local spinal cord injury association.

#136 9 years ago

Personally, I would like to see a version with both sides having a servo to press the button and then the holofex sensors being a remote box that someone could set on their lap. This set up would allow people in wheelchairs to play easier (chair will not fit under pin, so have to sit sideways). Also in my wife's case, she doesn't have much finger use and it would be easier for her to press down with her palms (a larger 2" button might help too, but we could make due with standards). But obviously this version would not be for everyone, but would be nice for quadriplegics.

6 months later
    #150 8 years ago
    Quoted from gstellenberg:

As promised, one-handed play is now built into our P3's base platform software.

Awesome. My wife and I are very interested.

1 year later
    #165 7 years ago

Interested here too.

#175 7 years ago

Yonkiman - this is very cool and well done. This is exactly what I want to build (but haven't had time to figure it all out).

I would like two with each going to a large remote button (maybe 2 or 3 inch) set into some kind of unit that a person in a wheelchair could set on their lap.

I would happily buy that type of setup (or similar).

Really good work! Please let us know about all your improvements and updates.

#176 7 years ago

I believe pinsider PINBALL-ARMOR is also working on a remote button solution that actually incorporates it's own set of fliptronic boards in the device (at least from what I gathered when I talked to him last month). Interested to see how that goes too.

2 years later
    #189 4 years ago
    Quoted from DCRand:

Have you tried this with people in power chairs who can’t use fingers?

yonkiman designed a version for my wife who uses a powerchair and is in a similar situation as your friend. It will use a Microsoft Xbox Adaptive Controller for the input. We just got it in the mail yesterday and won't have a chance to try it out until this weekend...but I will post some pictures once we do.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mhulsebu.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/one-armed-pinball-i-mean-it?tu=mhulsebu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.