(Topic ID: 115877)

One Armed Pinball - I Mean it!

By CaryCarmichael

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

maxresdefault (1) (resized).jpg
    IMG_3269 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3268 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3267 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1803 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1798 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1797 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1726 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1795 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1794 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1791 (resized).JPG
    IMG_8643 (resized).JPG
    IMG_8642 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2317 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2315 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2314 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Whysnow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#27 9 years ago

very cool thread.

I like the idea neo is explaining and if I am envisioning it correctly then this would be the most "pinball" like in motion where a person has 2 buttons to control the play rather than the need to slide the thumb.

Would be really cool if it could be calibrated for double flipper staging.

1 week later
    #52 9 years ago

I will be stopping over at Ben Hecks this Friday and will try to plant a seed. I have some ideas for a slick device but Ben is a mad scientist and may be able to come up with something cool.

This is one of the coolest threads on pinside currnetly!

3 weeks later
    #66 9 years ago

I was over at crazy Heckendorn central last night and both Ben and Felix were working hard on desiging something GREAT!

They are both mad geniuses!

The final product solution is going to be great.

#77 9 years ago

looking great Ben!

#79 9 years ago

Ben, Let me know when I can come over and play test.

or you can come back over to my place and play test on the whole gammet of games/manufacturers.

#83 9 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Still working on it. But if you want to help debug AMH later that would be helpful.
    There's a post-Match display score bug I have to catch.

I can comeby at 4:30ish to help with bug stuff (or at least yell at you and tell you how much you suck )

#88 9 years ago

I was over this afternoon and it is coming together nicely. It needs to be a bit more responsive and the current servo could needs to be a bit quicker to give it the real feel it needs. .083 lag time is not going to cut it Mr Heckendorn Tell Felix it is time to get back to the bench.

I say that lovingly.

Awesome work Ben. Our new 1 armed friend is going to be very stoked once this is all done! It feels really good to be a small part of this!

#99 9 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

A solenoid would only give digital control over the button; either pressed or not. It might still be really difficult, but with a servo, you will have the possibility of being able to stage the upper flipper in games that have one, etc.

correct and that is the intent of the servo.

This is intended to not only allow 1-arm playing but more advanced style of play with 1 arm. The ability to stage on 4 flipper games is important for game play as intended. IMO The best devices allow people with unique physical situations to play a game/function in a similar way as originally designed for able bodied people. The current HeckenArm (patent pending) could really revolutionize 1 arm pinball in my POV.

2 weeks later
    #120 9 years ago

Would love to hear how it goes. Make sure he practices with it for a bit before league. There is a small amount of lag, but the brain can adjust to the device and it is still super awesome to play with.

It can also be improved and I will keep heckling Ben till he finds time to make the Heckenarm 2.0.

I need to warn you that while you are praising now, be prepared to start cursing him when Todd now realizes he can literally buy any game and starts adding to the collection

#141 9 years ago
    Quoted from CaryCarmichael:

I keep calling it Heckinarm, I am not positive that is what it is called, but I will continue to call it such until I'm told otherwise

I call it the HeckenArm also.

I think it sounds perfect. Glad Todd is liking it and it is an improvement. I am pretty sure there is a decent demand for these, so here is to hoping Ben makes the HeckenArm 2.0 with slightly better responsiveness and more tweakability to fit more games in an easier way.

1 month later
    #145 8 years ago

This makes me SO happy!

Thanks for the update!

1 year later
    #168 7 years ago

fantastic ideas for continueed evolution of this project!

I like the idea of a button that stays on the players available hand and taps against the cab. Could you make this bluetooth to avoid wires to the left side controller?

Then the player could easily wire up and wear a belt batter pack to power the blue tooth device.

Alternate idea is another battery pack that goes on the glass and extends the regular cab button and brings an extra button to control the device (similar to what ben and I devised originally but using the weight again to hold it in place.

Last thing >> I would really like one of these if you get around to making them. I woudl be happy to purchase one. Keep that in mind as it may help costs to build 2 in place of one.

#169 7 years ago
    Quoted from stoptap:

I would want to use my thumb to control the remote flipper button.

I would definately prefer a finger since that is how I normally play on mutiple flipper button games (SST for example)

#173 7 years ago

Count me in for one of them!

Would love to have this for a pinball competition coming up sometime soon! Super fun

3 months later
    #179 7 years ago

very cool!

nice adaptation!

2 years later
    #192 4 years ago

bumped

#193 4 years ago

I believe there are at least 4 different 1 armed pinball devices now made!

So cool to see where this has gone and the modifications over the years.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Whysnow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/one-armed-pinball-i-mean-it?tu=Whysnow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.