(Topic ID: 115877)

One Armed Pinball - I Mean it!

By CaryCarmichael

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

maxresdefault (1) (resized).jpg
    IMG_3269 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3268 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3267 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1803 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1798 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1797 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1726 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1795 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1794 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1791 (resized).JPG
    IMG_8643 (resized).JPG
    IMG_8642 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2317 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2315 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2314 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CaryCarmichael.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

Meet Todd & Kim!

Todd & Kim.pngTodd & Kim.png

Todd has 1 arm. They both played last week as a Team in our Monterey Flipper Pinball League. It was a bit of a shocker to me when he showed up to League. As the pair was willing to play together, I was absolutely willing to let them play as a Team.

Turns out Todd isn't just some random guy that found our League on Meetup.com - he owns Pinballs. He custom routed and added an extra flipper to the right side of all of his games, so that he can play 2 flippers with his right arm.

During League we discussed a mechanical solution to give Todd the ability to flip both flippers from the right side of the machine. Something that could be slapped onto all games he might play out in the wild.

Now, any thoughts on a mechanical solution?

Input would be Great!

#4 9 years ago
    Quoted from dementedwarlok:

awesome.... I dont know of a way but here is a foundation that helps kids with lost limbs maybe you could team up with mike for some brain storming. The guy that runs the foundation is a friend of mine.
    http://www.lostlimbsfoundation.org/about.asp

I'll give a shout out to the LL Foundation - that is a great idea! Thanks.

#5 9 years ago

I guess, as it was discussed at League with Todd and Fred, I could share some of the notes.

- Flipper buttons could stick out from the cabinet, and could be staggered.
    - It should probably be a metal bar that extends across the width of the top of the cab, so that it can be placed onto any game he plays, and to conceal the mechanics within.

I think we all want Todd to be able to play as naturally as possible, so I keep considering lag and the additional ways in which he'd have to adapt. No doubt about it, he appears Extremely Capable of adapting!

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from PinsideTroll:

i have no input, but that is awesome. hope someone can help

Awesome is input enough!

It was super cool to play with Todd and Kim. They have great attitudes and are great additions to the League.

Now to get them each flipping two flippers - on their own games!

#10 9 years ago

I was not expecting so many responses! I woke up figuring I'd need to bump this topic, but these responses are great!

I've contacted the LL Foundation through the webpage, but between the active thinkers in League and here on Pinside, we have a pretty great starting place.

I'm going to review this information and whatever else may (hopefully) pop up here with Todd tonight. A lot of viable solutions already - we may have the ability for Todd to effectively enter his own IFPA score This Season!

Thank you Pinsiders for such conscious thought!

#17 9 years ago

WOW! Zaza, you are Rad!

I'm going to holler at Todd Right Now! He's got to see this! I think we can pull off a very similar effect for League tonight - I've got tons of metal and such laying around.

Quoted from Aurich:

Re: foot pedals
    Also took some custom wiring on the game. Nothing major or a big deal, was easy to add and reverse, but it was a tiny bit of work, nothing you could just slap on instantly.

Only problem with wiring, as you noted Aurich, is that it can't be slapped onto Route Games on the spot - especially when we don't generally have the keys. I'd really like Todd to be able to play in our League, other Leagues or Tournaments, or on Route in general.

Quoted from stevevt:

I could use this kind of thing when I play split flipper. Like the driver's ed teacher getting an extra brake pedal.

Hilarious!

As has been noted by all - this is a great option for Everyone, not just those that need it. Although, now that I think of it, sometimes I Need a beer while playing

#40 9 years ago

Not much info, because I wasn't able to fashion the 'Zaza Device' before the last League night. However Todd was thrilled by the topic having such favorable results.

Todd said, 'the Zaza Device is worth a shot, it'd be weird to use the thumb, [he'd] want to try it out.'

He invited me to come over and try some ideas. I haven't had the time yet, but before Monday we will have results.

BTW, Andrei Massenkoff came by to play with MFP this past week. He was telling me about how there is effort being put in by various groups (Project Pinball and Pinball Outreach Project) to bring games to Children's Hospitals. There's talk of modifying the games for all sorts of disabilities.

Apparently Chritopher Reeve had a pinball modified so that he could roll his wheelchair into the cabinet. Word.

#43 9 years ago

So, I didn't make it over to hang with Todd and his machines, but I did manage to build up a first version of the Zaza Device for use during League this week.

image.jpgimage.jpg

It was a little bit of rad. Whoever played with Todd tonight had to play one game with the ZD. I played a few games earlier with it, I dug into it - I could catch, backflip, control shots - surprisingly playable.

There will be a few modifications required to improve its playability. Make it adjustable in length, the soft side of that Velcro tape on the underside to protect the games, and make a couple spacers/stops to keep the ZD from moving about.

He seemed pretty psyched, and took it home to practice.

#44 9 years ago

I didn't bring this up during League, but I have been thinking - the Zaza Device may not be the best name. I can only imagine that Zaza has many devices, and this is probably not the first nor the last.

As this was designed live on a forum , might I suggest naming it '+1'.

#47 9 years ago

Too funny, Zaza! She actually played her own matches, and beat up on the boys pretty good.

Cheers!

#54 9 years ago

Whysnow, that'd be great! Heck, if anybody can improve on a design..

#56 9 years ago

Ps, I love it Zaza! I should be able to recreate some version of the suction cup, rod and spring. I'll try to get on it before next Monday.

I also realize I didn't snap any close-ups of our crude first version, I'll do so this coming week as well.

2 weeks later
    3 weeks later
    #117 9 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Controller is on its way to CA!
    Should be charged and ready.

We are ready and waiting! Next Day Air isn't fast enough - I should have sported the extra $$ for you to fly out with it!

Thank you, Mr. Heckerdorn!! A true American Hero.

#118 9 years ago
    Quoted from plusone:

Hello everyone!! I am Kim the Plusone of the duo, well was...for a good reason though I am just overwhelmed of what all ya'll have done for Todd!! Words cannot explain the emotion I have right now or the respect I have for this community. Ya'll are awesome! Todd has a new enthusiasm about him. His own machines are set with 2 switches on the right side. Many hours has been played with those switches. It works fine however when he signed us up for "The League" path, I was called out of retirement to play...yes I'm really rusty. Bride of Pinbot my fav. Cary you have created the monster that I remember. Zaza you created a dream of what can be done. It was quite a night when Cary brought in +1 and everyone played with it. Ben, I don't know much about what you have done, but I have a feeling that is about to change. I'm in tears and totally in awe of all of this interest. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!! ^^^Kim

Oh my gosh, Kim! I hadn't seen your post - seriously, tears at the workplace! Tears of Joy for a change

#127 9 years ago
    Quoted from yonkiman:

Nice to see that "new" Dirty Harry added to your collection, Cary - can't wait to check it out!

I should probably take it out of my collection until it's back together and playing! Ha!

#128 9 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

This thread makes me smile even bigger than the UPS guy

Rodel is the best!

Quoted from herg:

The video even made me come out of Facebook retirement so that I could share it with people who would not see it otherwise.

This has been an awesome progression with assistance at many levels and in many ways. I watched the video this morning on one of my screens. It was really neat to see in '1, 2, 3D'.

We will be working with Ben to showcase Todd using the rig.

#131 9 years ago
    Quoted from Thor-NL:

Questions : Will it be marketed? Will there be a leftie-version?

I would guess a yes and a yes.

Paging Mr. Heck.

#133 9 years ago
    Quoted from plusone:

And Todd is officially MIA.....

Is he in my parking lot?!

#138 9 years ago

Here are the first flips from Todd using the Heckinarm, http://mfpinball.org/heckinarm/todd.mov

Also, here is a text thread with Todd - I think it is neat to see Todd's specific comment.

texts.pngtexts.png

He has now played with it a number of times on a number of different games. Fitting to various sized machines is interesting and requires minor adjustments (which can be made!); some might be permanent adjustments (like sanding down to fit the differences found on a Stern machine, for a snugger fit with the buttons). Also, for quick changeover, like in a multiplayer game, it'd be nice if it folded up or had a quicker means of attaching to the machines. The buttons could probably be closer. Responsiveness would be nice if improved, but as Mr. Heck mentioned in his video there is some 'hair trigger manipulation' that can be made.

I played with it, and it is really quite functional. Unfortunate for Todd, he has to play my F'd up machines, so he's having to calibrate to hard games and using his new Heckinarm.

I keep calling it Heckinarm, I am not positive that is what it is called, but I will continue to call it such until I'm told otherwise

Added over 6 years ago:

http://mfpinball.org/pinside/heckinarm/todd.mov

#139 9 years ago

Here is a short clip of me using the rig. The video is bouncy and small, but you can see that it gives plenty of control.

http://mfpinball.org/heckinarm/cary.mov

Added over 6 years ago:

http://mfpinball.org/pinside/heckinarm/cary.mov

1 month later
    #144 8 years ago

A quick update on the progress with Todd and his Heckenarm..

Todd has been playing with the device in League every Monday. We had to go back to remedial suction cup school, and by cleaning the playfield glass and making sure they are properly moist, the device is extremely stable - yes, this took us weeks to 'master'. There is still the issue of taking it on and off between players, but we have adapted to the time as a group to facilitate use of the Heckenarm.

Todd has also leaped from getting 4th place out of 4 players to taking 2nd places and winning games! He is continuing to be more comfortable, and his control is getting crazy good.

This coming Monday, for our 5th League night of our MFP Season, Todd will be interviewing with Ben Heck over Skype, as a follow up to the Prototype and the progression of the device.

Lastly, those going to Pin-A-Go-Go should come find Todd and see the Heckenarm in action! Todd is also bringing his custom Black Rose with 2 flipper buttons on the right side of the cab - 1 Armed Pinball for everyone!

For those that haven't seen the video of Ben designing the Heckenarm, please check it out! http://www.element14.com/community/docs/DOC-75135/l/episode-176-ben-heck-s-single-handed-pinball-mod-episode

Later!

1 year later
    2 weeks later
    #163 7 years ago

One of our MFP League Members decided to try and improve on the device made by Ben Heck. Calling on yonkiman to show us what he's built.

He literally just texted us all the other day with info on his new device.

It appears many others can use something of the sort.

#171 7 years ago

Videos are up on our League site: http://mfpinball.org/yonkiarm/.

Added over 6 years ago:

Videos are up on our League site: http://mfpinball.org/pinside/yonkiarm

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CaryCarmichael.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/one-armed-pinball-i-mean-it?tu=CaryCarmichael and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.