4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 190 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 days ago by yonkiman
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 37 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_1803 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1798 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1797 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1726 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1795 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1794 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1791 (resized).JPG
    IMG_8643 (resized).JPG
    IMG_8642 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2317 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2315 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2314 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6255 (resized).JPG
    1_hand.jpg
    20151105_211609.jpg
    texts.png

There are 190 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
    #151 3 years ago

Full mechanical proto-type will be playable during the Dutch Pinball Open, november 7+8 Drunen, NLD.
    20151105_211609.jpg

#152 3 years ago

Just posted this in our other thread, and then I saw this thread recently bumped. Here's a short video from our one-handed tournament at the pinball life party during Expo.

- Gerry
    http://www.multimorphic.com

#153 3 years ago

great jobs guys!

#154 3 years ago
    Quoted from zaza:

Full mechanical proto-type will be playable during the Dutch Pinball Open, november 7+8 Drunen, NLD.
    20151105_211609.jpg

Looking forward to see this in action!
    Hopefully seeya saturday Sascha

#155 3 years ago
    Quoted from Thor-NL:

Hopefully seeya saturday Sascha

I'm in Drunen till sundaynight so can't miss.

#156 3 years ago

Today the ZAD+1 proto moved to the Dutch Pinball Museum where people can test it and give feedback about it.
    Pinsider PDXmonkey played a game on the Dirty Harry and I was surprised how easy he adapted playing with only his right hand.
    Also Gerard from the museum was very enthusiastic about it and was instantly thinking about a 'one hand competition'.

I've some new ideas so this isn't the final version, but this simple mechanism has already great potential.

ZAD+1
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/one-armed-pinball-i-mean-it/page/2#post-2205125

Dutch Pinball Museum
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dutch-pinball-museum
    http://www.dutchpinballmuseum.com/

1 hand.jpg

3 weeks later
    #157 3 years ago
    Quoted from zaza:

Today the ZAD+1 proto moved to the Dutch Pinball Museum where people can test it and give feedback about it.
    Pinsider PDXmonkey played a game on the Dirty Harry and I was surprised how easy he adapted playing with only his right hand.
    Also Gerard from the museum was very enthusiastic about it and was instantly thinking about a 'one hand competition'.
    I've some new ideas so this isn't the final version, but this simple mechanism has already great potential.
    ZAD+1
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/one-armed-pinball-i-mean-it/page/2#post-2205125
    Dutch Pinball Museum
    1 hand.jpg

Just found this thread...

The prototype Zaza made works fantastic and is adaptable to work on most pins!

The game was great, with no lag at all.

Once the people that need them get them I'd like a set.

7 months later
    #158 2 years ago
    Quoted from zaza:

Glad to help and it has some advantages for the 2 handed people as well, who can now play and drink at the same time.
    made a test setup with an aluminum strip, angle bracket, pipe clamp and some tape and must say, it works already, I think when you get used to use the right thumb for left flipper (or vice versa) and with a sturdy mechanism, it is very well playable.

Zaza, what did you make your mod out of. I am also a single arm player (2 strokes at 8 years old) So my right hand isn't the best for pinball, but I love the game. Id be really interested in finding out what you've used to make that contraption!

#159 2 years ago
    Quoted from zaza:

ZAD+1
    Dutch Pinball Museum

This one too!

#160 2 years ago

Next month I will return to the design-desk and continue the prototype to a more practical and solid model.
    I will keep you posted !

3 months later
    2 weeks later
    #162 2 years ago

this is way cool...awesome job to all those involved!

#163 2 years ago

One of our MFP League Members decided to try and improve on the device made by Ben Heck. Calling on yonkiman to show us what he's built.

He literally just texted us all the other day with info on his new device.

It appears many others can use something of the sort.

#164 2 years ago
    Quoted from CaryCarmichael:

One of our MFP League Members decided to try and improve on the device made by Ben Heck. Calling on yonkiman to show us what he's built.
    He literally just texted us all the other day with info on his new device.
    It appears many others can use something of the sort.

Definitely interested here!

#165 2 years ago

Interested here too.

#166 2 years ago

Hi Folks. Here's a photo of my contraption:
    Prototype

Should be pretty self-explanatory - the big red circle (about 2x the diameter of the flipper button it's pushing) is the plunger that pushes the button.

This doohickey meets all my design goals:
    - Fast and Easy to Set-Up: You just plop it down on the glass. The weight of the 8 D cells and the no-slip rubber under the battery case keep it in place. The large plunger head allows for varying button placement for different pins from different manufacturers (has not been confirmed in the wild yet). Couldn't be simpler.

- No lag: Using a solenoid means the second you press the actuator, the flipper is pressed. (OK, there are a few ms of delay but it's as instant as I believe is possible.) The only drawback is you won't be able to use the staged feature of multi-stage flippers, meaning in a 2 left flipper scenario, you won't be able to have the bottom flipper energized and the upper flipper off - either both will be energized or both will be off. I'm designing this for ease of set-up for 95%+ of the pins out there.

- Battery life is long. 8 D cells hold a lot of energy. I have implemented a "Hold" mode in the electronics that sends less power to the solenoid after flipping. If you play two hours a day every day, new Duracells should last a year.

- Rechargeable option: Just use rechargeable D cells. Circuit will work fine even with 1.2V rechargeables. Plus in an emergency you can always buy standard D cells.

Now the only thing I *haven't* completely figured out yet is the trigger/switch for the player's fingers. My goal is something that attaches to the player's middle finger, and fires when tapped against the side of the cabinet. (Obviously it will be covered in soft felt or something similar so it won't damage/wear out the side of the cab.) I have an idea for something using a micro switch but my 3D printer broke right after I printed this last prototype and have spent most of my free time since working on the printer. Think a solution with a leaf switch might be good, too.

ANYONE'S/EVERYONE'S IDEAS FOR THE FINGER TRIGGER ARE WELCOME! My goal is ease of use. In a multiplayer scenario, when it's the player's turn, (s)he just drops this on the glass and starts playing. Maybe 3 seconds of setup. I'm trying to avoid suction cups, any sort of non-instant alignment, etc.

I (and my 3D printer) will be out of comission for most of this week, but I hope to resume work next weekend. Would appreciate any ideas/feedback I get before then!

#167 2 years ago
    Quoted from yonkiman:

Should be pretty self-explanatory - the big red circle (about 2x the diameter of the flipper button it's pushing) is the plunger that pushes the button.
    - Fast and Easy to Set-Up: You just plop it down on the glass. The weight of the 8 D cells and the no-slip rubber under the battery case keep it in place. The large plunger head allows for varying button placement for different pins from different manufacturers (has not been confirmed in the wild yet). Couldn't be simpler.
    - No lag: Using a solenoid means the second you press the actuator, the flipper is pressed. (OK, there are a few ms of delay but it's as instant as I believe is possible.) The only drawback is you won't be able to use the staged feature of multi-stage flippers, meaning in a 2 left flipper scenario, you won't be able to have the bottom flipper energized and the upper flipper off - either both will be energized or both will be off. I'm designing this for ease of set-up for 95%+ of the pins out there.
    - Battery life is long. 8 D cells hold a lot of energy. I have implemented a "Hold" mode in the electronics that sends less power to the solenoid after flipping. If you play two hours a day every day, new Duracells should last a year.
    - Rechargeable option: Just use rechargeable D cells. Circuit will work fine even with 1.2V rechargeables. Plus in an emergency you can always buy standard D cells.
    Now the only thing I *haven't* completely figured out yet is the trigger/switch for the player's fingers. My goal is something that attaches to the player's middle finger, and fires when tapped against the side of the cabinet. (Obviously it will be covered in soft felt or something similar so it won't damage/wear out the side of the cab.) I have an idea for something using a micro switch but my 3D printer broke right after I printed this last prototype and have spent most of my free time since working on the printer. Think a solution with a leaf switch might be good, too.
    ANYONE'S/EVERYONE'S IDEAS FOR THE FINGER TRIGGER ARE WELCOME! My goal is ease of use. In a multiplayer scenario, when it's the player's turn, (s)he just drops this on the glass and starts playing. Maybe 3 seconds of setup. I'm trying to avoid suction cups, any sort of non-instant alignment, etc.
    I (and my 3D printer) will be out of comission for most of this week, but I hope to resume work next weekend. Would appreciate any ideas/feedback I get before then!

Excellent work. I am a prosthetic engineer and this thread is superb.

In regards to the switch, were I using it, I would want to use my thumb to control the remote flipper button.

#168 2 years ago

fantastic ideas for continueed evolution of this project!

I like the idea of a button that stays on the players available hand and taps against the cab. Could you make this bluetooth to avoid wires to the left side controller?

Then the player could easily wire up and wear a belt batter pack to power the blue tooth device.

Alternate idea is another battery pack that goes on the glass and extends the regular cab button and brings an extra button to control the device (similar to what ben and I devised originally but using the weight again to hold it in place.

Last thing >> I would really like one of these if you get around to making them. I woudl be happy to purchase one. Keep that in mind as it may help costs to build 2 in place of one.

#169 2 years ago
    Quoted from stoptap:

I would want to use my thumb to control the remote flipper button.

I would definately prefer a finger since that is how I normally play on mutiple flipper button games (SST for example)

#170 2 years ago

My brother in law has limited use of one of his arms and was down in our basement one day, bummed about pinball. As an experiment, I temporarily re-wired the second button on a pin2k button (two buttons on each side) - so that the primary button was this flipper and the secondary button was the other flipper.

Mine was a temporary re-wire of one machine but it worked enough that he was able to get the feel for it and play faster using his good-hand. Doesn't solve the traditional gameplay of other machines but thought I'd mention it.

Good luck and nice feedback here on solutions!

#171 2 years ago

Videos are up on our League site: http://mfpinball.org/yonkiarm/.

Added 7 months ago:

Videos are up on our League site: http://mfpinball.org/pinside/yonkiarm

#172 2 years ago

Thanks for the feedback guys.

stoptap - Will do index finger for now because most 1-armed players have been playing it that way with a second button added on the side. But no reason solution couldn't be modified for thumb.

whysnow - Bluetooth (or other wireless - since we're just sending a long one or a long zero I might be able to do something simpler and potentially faster) is a good idea for upgrade. Cary also suggested the cab button extension like you and Ben had. Could also be an upgrade but alignment on some pins has been tricky so I think the fingertip switch (once working and reliable) will be more compatible. I'll definitely make these available once my printer's back online and we have a good switch solution.

carycarmichael - Thanks for putting up the videos!

#173 2 years ago

Count me in for one of them!

Would love to have this for a pinball competition coming up sometime soon! Super fun

#174 2 years ago
    Quoted from yonkiman:

What a great contraption! For the first of its kind it is incredibly done, very slick, and would look pretty cool against most pins! This is the kind of device I'd really like to have as it would eliminate the shakiness of my right side. As soon as possible could I buy one from you?!

#175 2 years ago

Yonkiman - this is very cool and well done. This is exactly what I want to build (but haven't had time to figure it all out).

I would like two with each going to a large remote button (maybe 2 or 3 inch) set into some kind of unit that a person in a wheelchair could set on their lap.

I would happily buy that type of setup (or similar).

Really good work! Please let us know about all your improvements and updates.

#176 2 years ago

I believe pinsider PINBALL-ARMOR is also working on a remote button solution that actually incorporates it's own set of fliptronic boards in the device (at least from what I gathered when I talked to him last month). Interested to see how that goes too.

#177 2 years ago

Hats off on this mod thread. Great ideas

3 months later
    #178 2 years ago

As a pinhead with right side weakness, I found this topic very interesting and it motivated me to start testing different ideas. I have come up with what I found the simplest and most effective mod (I can use my arm, just no fine motor skills, resulting in my arm moving around a lot) so to compensate that, I got a big ol suction cup and tied 2 stretchy tensor like bandages together and threaded them through the auction cup, providing much needed stability to my right arm. I wanted to take the manual approach as it can easily be switched between machines and adjusted to anyone's specifications!

IMG_2314 (resized).JPG

IMG_2315 (resized).JPG

IMG_2317 (resized).JPG

#179 2 years ago

very cool!

nice adaptation!

1 year later
    #180 11 months ago

I found this thread as I was trying to design something to allow my wife to play pinball again, but have limited abilities and materials myself. She has no use of her left hand. Did any of the prototypes from Zaza, Yonki or Ben become a product I could purchase.

#181 11 months ago

Well, I decided to bust out my Lego and make something. This has a nice easy action, a stroke about the length of a button press, and because it is mechanically linked, it has no delay in response (save for some tolerances to the Lego connections). I just need to get to a machine (we don't own any) to fine tune it, maybe a bit of design tweaking, and add some suction cups to hold it on the glass.

#182 11 months ago
    Quoted from dvsntt:

Did any of the prototypes from Zaza, Yonki or Ben become a product I could purchase.

Sorry, I have never finished the prototype to make it rocksteady and durable.
    When I have more time I will make a second try of a lightweight-easy install-non lag gadget.

#183 11 months ago
    Quoted from dvsntt:

I found this thread as I was trying to design something to allow my wife to play pinball again, but have limited abilities and materials myself. She has no use of her left hand. Did any of the prototypes from Zaza, Yonki or Ben become a product I could purchase.

Yonki is in my league and his newest design works great. I believe he is trying to get things lined up to manufacture more of them and get them to the people who need it. I’m sure when they are ready for prime time they will post an update on this thread.

4 months later
    #184 7 months ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Got it working. Needs a few tweaks, more polish, extra foam.
    It's REALLY weird pressing a left flipper with your right hand. Your brain says no!
    Tight fit on Space Shuttle, it has the highest and closest button of any game we measured.

[quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Is it possible to get the CAD drawings of that Benheck device and maybe some instructions what parts have been used? I would also need to make a device for a friend of mine which can use just one arm and always loved to play pinball with me.

2 months later
    #185 5 months ago

Here's my device to play with just one hand. Created it for a friend which can use just one hand

IMG_8642 (resized).JPG

IMG_8643 (resized).JPG

#186 5 months ago
    Quoted from OlDirty:

Here's my device to play with just one hand. Created it for a friend which can use just one hand

[quoted image]
    [quoted image]

This is great, nice work!

3 months later
    #187 46 days ago

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the long silence...I haven't been very active on Pinside lately and frankly forgot this thread existed.

My device is now called the Crazy Flipping Finger™, and the good news is that in a month or so I will have CFFs to ship. I've got inventory for about 10, and 4 of them are already spoken for, so if you want one (or a pair) PM me ASAP. Can order more inventory once I have a better idea of demand, next round should be ready 1-2 months after that.

Let me show you what it's looking like:
    Here it is in action. You can see the power switch on top that is illuminated when the unit is on.

One of the enhancements I'm most happy about is that the cord is a USB cable, attached via a magnetic connector...

...that breaks away when pulled, as opposed to yanking the unit off the pinball machine and onto the floor.

Here's the whole thing.

And a closeup of the actuator...it's actually the most challenging part of the design

And another

The final actuator will have a few more bells and whistles, like a pad for your fingertip (though Todd's been playing without one for years), and some sort of padding around the ring for comfort and grip.

Electronics is now on a custom PCB for reliability.

I had to make a change on the board (hence the wires and additional components), shipping units will have the rev 1.01 PCBs without the fix shown here.

And here's a video of Todd demoing the new Crazy Flippin' Finger:

The Crazy Flippin Finger is $250 ($440 for a left + right combo) plus shipping. Comes with a 1 year unconditional warranty (drop it, catch it on fire, run over it in your car, whatever), 1-year money-back guarantee, 1 extra finger switch/actuator, 1 extra cord, and 1 extra paddle (the thing that hits the flipper button on the machine). If I make any big improvements on the finger switch/actuator design (I'm open to ideas here and everywhere else), I will ship you a new actuator for my cost + shipping.

I'm already delivering one to the Golden State Pinball Festival and am happy to deliver more to anyone who's there and wants to save on shipping.

4 weeks later
    #188 16 days ago

Have you tried this with people in power chairs who can’t use fingers? Trying to get something to help a friend play my games. And want to move it from game to game. He has arm use, but not fingers.

#189 15 days ago
    Quoted from DCRand:

Have you tried this with people in power chairs who can’t use fingers?

yonkiman designed a version for my wife who uses a powerchair and is in a similar situation as your friend. It will use a Microsoft Xbox Adaptive Controller for the input. We just got it in the mail yesterday and won't have a chance to try it out until this weekend...but I will post some pictures once we do.

#190 9 days ago
    Quoted from DCRand:

Have you tried this with people in power chairs who can’t use fingers? Trying to get something to help a friend play my games. And want to move it from game to game. He has arm use, but not fingers.

As Michael said, I should be able to make it work with most input devices. I just need a switch that opens and closes or a signal that switches between 0V and 3.3V or 5V.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 299.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    ...redshiftLED
    $ 39.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 87.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 19.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 89.99
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 139.00
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 64.00
    $ 225.00
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    FlyLand Designs
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 26.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 1,200.00
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 24.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    There are 190 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside