3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by rotordave
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg

#1 3 years ago

Ok, I found out my next business trip I will have a meeting in New York City on Friday Morning, and should be done around 3pm. I am flying out early the next morning. I've never been to New York before. So what should I do/see?

#2 3 years ago

Times square, 5th ave, the bronx zoo, the metropolitan museum of art, the natural history museum, the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum, one of several pinball locations like this one: http://www.modernpinballnyc.com

#3 3 years ago

911 Memorial.

#4 3 years ago

Kaneda.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Times square, 5th ave, the bronx zoo, the metropolitan museum of art, the natural history museum, the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum, one of several pinball locations like this one: http://www.modernpinballnyc.com

He's going to struggle to fit all that in from 3pm.

It's really an impossible question to answer, because we have no idea what the OP is into, and NYC has a cornucopia of things to do.

A good evening would be to head to Brooklyn to Fette Sau for great BBQ and beer, then walk it off walking over to Sunshine Laundry for pinball. Then train back into Times Square and check it out at night time, then hit up a late show at one of the Comedy clubs.

Wow, that sounds like a perfect RD evening out.

rd

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

He's going to struggle to fit all that in from 3pm.

Oh definately. I was just throwing out some options.

#7 3 years ago

I love the high line park, it does not take long and gives great views of the city. Modern pinball is great too and not too far from Times Square (pioneer is on the way too if you walk back from high line). I'd say checking out Central Park is a must too, and you get 5th avenue on the side.

So I'd start at Times Square, walk to Central Park, take a subway to high line park, then walk back to Times Square and stop at pioneers on the way for few beers and pinball. All this should be doable in a about 5 hours leaving time for dinner too

#8 3 years ago

Play Pokemon Go with Levi!

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

I love the high line park, it does not take long and gives great views of the city

The Highline is a sweet walk on a nice day.

rd

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

#10 3 years ago

If you are going to do the highline, hit Pioneers Bar on the way over there, right by Madison Square Garden. Eight nice well kept DMD games.

#11 3 years ago

Well y'all, thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely try to check out the highline.

#12 3 years ago

When I was in NYC the one thing I wish I had was more time. Don't waste it playing pinball. Cali has plenty of pins for when you return home.

Cheers
    PorkChopExpress

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from PorkChopExpress:

When I was in NYC the one thing I wish I had was more time. Don't waste it playing pinball. Cali has plenty of pins for when you return home.

You have to agree with that.

rd

#14 3 years ago

Does NYC have hookers?

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from guyincognito:

Does NYC have hookers?

And blow. So I heard.

rd

#16 3 years ago

Hit the free art galleries in Chelsea!
    The High Line is down there.
    Avoid the tourist crap in the theatre district.
    Spend your day in the Village, it is the coolest place in NYC. IMHO.

#17 3 years ago

I was thinking of going over to Brooklyn to the Sunshine laundromat, but given that it could eat up all my time, I think I'll skip that.

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

I was thinking of going over to Brooklyn to the Sunshine laundromat, but given that it could eat up all my time, I think I'll skip that.

It will most definitely eat up all of your time.

#19 3 years ago

Yankee Stadium. If you go to a game, nothing beats sitting in the bleachers. Even Citi Field is nice as Shea was horrible.

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from PorkChopExpress:

Cheers
    PorkChopExpress

I'm not sure I agree with you "get outside and experience the city!" types. I mean, ANY tourist can hit the empire state building, ride the SI ferry, etc.

Sometimes it's fun to get drunk and chat up the locals and this is an opportunity that playing pinball can afford. Obviously you want to get out and experience things but if you only have a few hours to kill doing it at a local bar isn't a bad way to, regardless of where you are visiting.

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm not sure I agree with you "get outside and experience the city!" types. I mean, ANY tourist can hit the empire state building, ride the SI ferry, etc.
    Sometimes it's fun to get drunk and chat up the locals and this is an opportunity that playing pinball can afford. Obviously you want to get out and experience things but if you only have a few hours to kill doing it at a local bar isn't a bad way to, regardless of where you are visiting.

Yes, but you can visit a bar, a pin collection, or ballpark anywhere. There is still a lot of other unique things to NYC that you can only see in NYC.

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Yes, but you can visit a bar, a pin collection, or ballpark anywhere. There is still a lot of other unique things to NYC that you can only see in NYC.

Nah, I live in this dump, it's nothing special.

But hanging out with drunks and lowlives at a bar can give you the REAL local flavor.

#23 3 years ago

What is this High Line thing? An old sidewalk that is above the City? Why are the trees dead, are the pictures of it in the winter? Just curious i have never been to NY.

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinbum:

Why are the trees dead, are the pictures of it in the winter?

Looks like late winter or early spring. Everybody still has their heavy coats on and that cityscape looks like a big block of ice.

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinbum:

What is this High Line thing? An old sidewalk that is above the City? Why are the trees dead, are the pictures of it in the winter? Just curious i have never been to NY.

It's an old elevated train line above 10th avenue that used to run freight trains through the meatpacking district. It closed in 1980 was left to rot and was overgrown by foliage. It was almost turned down but saved by rich do-gooders and turned into a very popular urban park that spans about 20 blocks. I go up there now and again one of the entrances is steps away from my pinball shop.

#26 3 years ago

I will have to check this out if i ever get a chance to visit NY. I think i would enjoy walking above the City for the most part.

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Looks like late winter or early spring. Everybody still has their heavy coats on and that cityscape looks like a big block of ice.

Pics were taken just before PAPA so late March 2016. In the middle of a cold blast. It was friggen freezing at times.

That cityscape is carved in white marble. It's at the downtown end of the highline not far from Levi's place.

rd

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 49.95
    Playfield - Plastics
    MicksPinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 8,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 229.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 26.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 12.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 16.00
    £ 55.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 79.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Arcade Upkeep
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 68.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 149.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 179.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    Lighting - Interactive
    Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside