I have been restoring a Meteor that I pulled out of shed just over a year ago, actually shed is too nice of word. It had been sitting in a shack, just a corrugated iron roof with two sides covered by canvas since 1986, in a town called Landsborough, Queensland. Not quite the tropics but very lush and lots of rain, so not a great place to leave pins exposed to the elements for 30+ years. So the story is that this guy bought a Firepower, Flash and a Meteor for around about $20-$30 each at auction and put them in this shack until he built his house. The first pic below is from June 2016, the shack is being held up by the Meteor but it looked in surprisingly good shape compared to the other two. Since then the Meteor has had more water damage and the backbox is collapsing, and the Firepower has caved in itself.
After 2 and a half years of talking to the guy I finally got the call that I could grab the pins. It took a couple of car jacks, props and $400 AUD to get them out. The Firepower was lucky to make it back so it was stripped/demolished on the trailer. It was a literal rats' nest! The Flash was worse so had the bin ready for this one. All electronic parts were shot but sold off the playfields, looms and some metal parts that more than covered the initial cost.
The Meteor was a hell of a lot worse in the light. Backbox was f$@#ed, cab has bad rot at the front and the lockdown mech was rusted shut …. As much as I like bring home non working projects, I think I have reached my limit with this one. There a few more posts to come to catch up where I am with this restore which will follow soon.