Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by frolic
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20171217_162644 (resized).jpg
    #2 6 years ago

"...Then, in 1976, New York Times freelancer Roger Sharpe proved in the Supreme Court that pinball was indeed a “game of skill.”..."

Doesn't anyone fact-check these stories?
    .................David Marston

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from dmarston:

"...Then, in 1976, New York Times freelancer Roger Sharpe proved in the Supreme Court that pinball was indeed a “game of skill.”..."
    Doesn't anyone fact-check these stories?

I seem to recall mr Sharpe himself telling this story. What, did they get the year wrong or something?

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from mgpasman:

I seem to recall mr Sharpe himself telling this story. What, did they get the year wrong or something?

No, it was 1976 for sure

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from mgpasman:

What, did they get the year wrong or something?

The context of the article leads the reader to believe that they're talking about the Supreme Court of the United States, when he only convinced the Supreme Court of the state of New York (which then led the other states to follow suite). That's at least how I understand it.

#6 6 years ago

At least the article doesn't quote Tommy. Points for that.

#7 6 years ago

Article has to be bogus....everybody knows that the term "pinball wizard" has to be shoehorned into any discussion about pinball in the media...

#8 6 years ago

1. Roger Sharpe was not a freelancer for the New York Times.
    2. This case was not before ANY court. It was the City Council of New York City.

#9 6 years ago

Not sure if this has already been posted on the forum, but I'm currently in Vegas and saw this machine. Perhaps another sign of increased popularity. It becomes a digital pinball game for certain bonus rounds it seems. I didn't get a chance to play it when walking by, but will head back to it later on and give it a shot.

20171217_162644 (resized).jpg20171217_162644 (resized).jpg

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from dmarston:

1. Roger Sharpe was not a freelancer for the New York Times.
    2. This case was not before ANY court. It was the City Council of New York City.

Though it was, literally IN a courtroom, which I would guess is from where some of the confusion arises

#11 6 years ago

All good legends and folklore need embellishing as time goes on.

Roger at the United States Supreme Court is a nice spin .

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/on-the-rebound-pinball-experiencing-another-surge-in-popularity and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.