Topic poll

“Which would you buy today?”

• IMVE 29 votes
    46%
  • MET PRO LED 34 votes
    54%

(63 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 8 years ago

I apologize if this has been asked before. I am looking at buying a NIB IMVE or a NIB MET PRO LED. I was not a MET fan growing up and I like the IM theme. I like the game play of IM and have played MET but not sure the game was right. Of course IM is more money but if you were to buy one today which would you buy?

Thanks

#2 8 years ago

IM for me. The theme of MET is what kills it for me...just not a fan of heavy metal. While I'm not an IM junkie...or a major super hero fan... IM is much more accessible for my tastes. Fun, challenging game. Not entirely deep, so I wouldn't own it as a stand alone game...but awesome nonetheless!

#3 8 years ago

They're both outstanding games. If they're the same price I'd probably go IMVE, because usually that one goes for a bit more money. But if they were at their usual selling prices I'd probably go Metallica.

#4 8 years ago

You're in Mass...talk to Lanes and Games. They sell Sterns...a few months ago he had a couple of IMs on site

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

You're in Mass...talk to Lanes and Games. They sell Sterns...a few months ago he had a couple of IMs on site

I went there a couple weeks ago and played both game. The MET was a little worn, looked like it's been played a lot. IMVE was fairly new and played great.

#6 8 years ago

He also sells NIB! When I talked to him, he had two on hand and the prices were reasonable!

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from bushz:

I apologize if this has been asked before. I am looking at buying a NIB IMVE or a NIB MET PRO LED. I was not a MET fan growing up and I like the IM theme. I like the game play of IM and have played MET but not sure the game was right. Of course IM is more money but if you were to buy one today which would you buy?
Thanks

Does it have to be NIB? If you like IM go with that...you can always offer it for trade later if you decide it's not for you.

I had an METLE, I liked it, didn't love it. Worth noting I am a Metallica fan.

#8 8 years ago

IM = good game. Met = great game. Less money for Met? Case closed....

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from bushz:

Thanks

Sounds like you've already made up your mind.

Metallica is a deeper game, rules wise, that will reward a more skilled player and remain more interesting. Iron Man is pretty straight forward as far as what to do, but generally plays more difficult.

I really like both of them for their own reasons, but if I could only have one it would be Metallica -- not just for the longer legs the rules/software provide -- a large part of what I like about Metallica is the art.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

IM = good game. Met = great game. Less money for Met? Case closed....

Yes, almost $600.00 in savings to buy MET

#11 8 years ago

You really gotta go with the game that speaks to you...

#12 8 years ago

I own both. I can tell you I wasn't a Metallica fan for their music, but Metallica is a much better game. Both are a blast but Metallica has a deeper ruleset with literally 7 different wizard modes. Does any other Stern have this many? I think not

#13 8 years ago

Though MET is a cool game, it would be an easy decision for me as I'm not a big fan of Metallica's music.

However, I LOVE IM's intense gameplay and outstanding audio! I'd own one already if TBL and ST hadn't gotten in the way. I hope to yet though.

Happy decision making!

#14 8 years ago

I'm not a huge fan of Metallica but it gets a lot of love from others. I prefer IM but only played a few games on both. IM just seemed more fun and exciting on the surface.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from hassellcastle:

I own both. I can tell you I wasn't a Metallica fan for their music, but Metallica is a much better game. Both are a blast but Metallica has a deeper ruleset with literally 7 different wizard modes. Does any other Stern have this many? I think not

I've owned both.

MET is definitely deeper, but that didn't make it more fun than Iron Man by a long shot.

I do like MET as a pin, but it got to the point where I really got tired of the repeated "bashing". Bash Sparky for MB, bash the hammer for MB, bash the snake for MB, bash the inline targets for MB.

I'd take Iron Man easily over MET.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from bushz:

Yes, almost $600.00 in savings to buy MET

Then it's a no brainer. MET is a much better game anyway.

#17 8 years ago

Depends on what you like in game play - MET with its multiple modes is more strategic, IM is more direct - another case of chess match vs fist fight.

#18 8 years ago

IM has GI Joes on it

That's lame shit right there

Get the MET

#19 8 years ago

I've got both. I love both. But if I had to choose, I'd go with Metallica. Lots more to do and will keep you entertained longer. If you're only going to have 2 pins, Met is the better choice I think.

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I've owned both.
MET is definitely deeper, but that didn't make it more fun than Iron Man by a long shot.
I do like MET as a pin, but it got to the point where I really got tired of the repeated "bashing". Bash Sparky for MB, bash the hammer for MB, bash the snake for MB, bash the inline targets for MB.
I'd take Iron Man easily over MET.

The strategy has quite a bit more to it than just bashing, lots of stacking and making things in specific order. Lots more thought needs to go into that game than bashing, in my opinion. You can definitely bash and be successful, but you won't get those massive scores.

#21 8 years ago

If you can stand Metallica as a band anymore then its deeper than Ironman but not any more fun thats for sure and without the lightshow that comes with the Le/Pre I wouldn't buy it at all.

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Bash Sparky for MB, bash the hammer for MB, bash the snake for MB, bash the inline targets for MB.

Bash Whiplash for multiball
Bash War Machine multiball
Bash the Iron Man targets
Bash the Iron Monger etc

OP asked aboot Metpro which 2 of your things don;t bash

EDIT: Er, I guess the Captive ball is still a bash, my bad; snake isn't though

#23 8 years ago

2 of sterns best games! I own both so I'd say you can't go wrong either way...

#24 8 years ago

In a small collection, MET, but I think IM is a better game. I wouldn't worry about a price diff of $600, IM will hold its value better than a MET pro...I think.

#25 8 years ago

Iron man is a way better game than MET. While MET has the added wizard modes that are attainable, the game play is so repetitive compared to iron man. IM grips me and I feel like I'm part of this epic battle whereas MET is just meh. I love the one ball game of IM also where every ball can be that one ball where you just kill it. It gives me the same feeling as playing taxi where you're one shot away and drain and everything resets.

#26 8 years ago

I think the collection size is a valid point. I think IM is better, but the one thing with IM is that it really only has one pace. You either own it or it owns you and it's full speed from the plunge. If that's what you're stuck with all the time you run a risk of it getting old. At least with Met you can vary the pace and take it easy every now and then if you want. I have both, love both, and sometimes I walk past IM and just say, "No, I'm not fighting you today."

#27 8 years ago

Deeper does not equate to better. IM, like Tron, is genius in it's simplicity. It is also very exciting, very challenging, and very addictive. I own both and I play IM more.

With that said, I love Met too, for different reasons. Met is just plain fun, plus the playfield artwork kicks ass.

I'd give a slight edge to IM, especially with a shaker and upgraded sub. I also think IM has broader appeal when you have guests over.

In my opinion you can't go wrong either way. They're both in my top 5.

#28 8 years ago

Metallica has way more shots. You've got

Fuel shot
fuel targets
Left Loop
Inline drops
Left ramp
Sparky
newton ball
Snake
right Ramp
Right loop
Scoop
Spot targets

All very challenging and fun.

IM is a faster game for sure, more flow, but way less to shoot at

left target bank
Left loop
War Machine Kickback
Left Ramp
Center Spinner/Monger
Whiplash
right ramp
right loop
right target bank
spot targets

I also like Metallica's rules, I would consider them pretty deep. IM has a good wizard mode but not as deep as Met.

#29 8 years ago

I had Iron Man and it got a little repetitive after a few months. It's a really good game, but I think Metallica beats it by a hair in pretty much every category. IM is better for a large collection when you want something that will just kick your ass and keep you hitting that start button. Both games are fast and fun, but I just feel like there's a lot more to do in Metallica. The art on Metallica is also possibly the best ever on a Stern game.

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I had Iron Man and it got a little repetitive after a few months. It's a really good game, but I think Metallica beats it by a hair in pretty much every category. IM is better for a large collection when you want something that will just kick your ass and keep you hitting that start button. Both games are fast and fun, but I just feel like there's a lot more to do in Metallica. The art on Metallica is also possibly the best ever on a Stern game.

Objectively speaking there is clearly more to do on MET, no question about it.

But I disagree that you need IM in a large collection. If I could only own 3 pins, IM would be one of them for sure.

Like you said: you keep hitting that start button. That tells you all you need to know.

#31 8 years ago

IM all day all day.

I just played Met pro extensively last night, to see if I will add it to my collection. Met has awesome art, but overall the game was not my cup of tea. Not sure if always, but it seems like most orbit shots are stopped at the top and dropped into the pop bumpers. Not a fan of that one bit.

I think Met is excellent, but IM (to me) is one of the best games ever. I list it number one in my collection.

Also, theme for me is like A+ IM and like C- Metallica. The music and callouts of Metallica (to me) would be overbearing. Just my 2c. But for me it's a slam dunk decision between these two games.

I know IM is shallow, but that's one think I also prefer. I have several longer games, but to me IM and Tron are just deep enough.

This is just my 2c and I'm sure others will disagree.

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Not sure if always, but it seems like most orbit shots are stopped at the top and dropped into the pop bumpers.

Never understand why people complain aboot this so much on multiple games. You progress forward and at diff'rent times they open up.

EDIT: I guess this is probably one of them "flow" things.

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Never understand why people complain aboot this so much on multiple games. You progress forward and at diff'rent times they open up.
EDIT: I guess this is probably one of them "flow" things.

the game I played may have been on early code. I was just saying, I'm less interested in pop bumpers. I love ramps and loops and spinners.

Sorry, I said spinners. I know Met has more 'stuff' overall, but I love me some spinners and IM has the best/most of any game I own.

In an ideal world, I'd own Met, but I am not sure if it would be pro or premium, with IM, it's nice that one version is sufficient spinners were not removed to make one version less desirable.

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Seems to be an issue on almost all of Borg's games.

#35 8 years ago

I have both side by side right now.

Overall, I prefer IM more. It's just more enjoyable to progress through the game, and it has one of the most satisfying shots out there (Do or Die).

After playing Metallica for an extended period, it just feels like you have to bash your way through it. Sparky's great, but the novelty wears off quick, especially with not being able to skip through the long animation each time it starts. It's still a great game, though.

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

the game I played may have been on early code. I was just saying, I'm less interested in pop bumpers. I love ramps and loops and spinners.
Sorry, I said spinners. I know Met has more 'stuff' overall, but I love me some spinners and IM has the best/most of any game I own.
In an ideal world, I'd own Met, but I am not sure if it would be pro or premium, with IM, it's nice that one version is sufficient spinners were not removed to make one version less desirable.

Gotcha, diff'rent strokes and all. Spinners to me, sadly, are completely worthless these days. They never generate points really, and are just there for SFX that really doesn't float my boat. Don't get me wrong, all versions should have them...pinball staple for god sakes!

Not really, he's just there to help you crank it up.

#37 8 years ago

I own both and agree you can't go wrong.....both great games. MET would be my keeper if I could have only 1 of them.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Other

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/on-the-fence-imve-or-met-pro-led and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.