Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Joe_Blasi
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

I'm curious what you guys think an entry/mid level on-site barcade technician should bring home in hourly pay? I interviewed for a local bar that wants someone on location during operating hours to fix machines when they have problems, this includes staying until a 2am close time and working weekend nights. Arcade and pinball repair would be priority but when things get busy they want help bar backing, working the door, etc. I would work for the bar, not be a contract employee and I assume there wouldn't be any type of benefits. They are looking at a total of 50 arcades and 20 pins, which is a lot.

Anyone else working a similar position? I'm just looking to see what you guys think is fair.

#2 8 years ago

6 pack

#3 8 years ago
    Quoted from Gorgared:

but when things get busy they want help bar backing,

You realize this means bouncer too ?

LTG : )™

#4 8 years ago

Make sure that you get free beer.

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

You realize this means bouncer too ?

Haha, you are probably right. Should getting shanked up the hourly pay then?

#6 8 years ago

Sounds like an unrealistic mix of duties. Assuming you are a qualified tech, your talents will be wasted performing the other duties (unless they want to pay technician wages to fill other less technical positions). If they are not willing to pay you for your skills, then it sounds like you are cheating yourself unless you have a vested interest in the business.

Additionally, if you will be responsible for repairing the games as well as being a "floor" tech during prime hours, you will have little time to perform major repairs and maintenance during normal business hours.

#7 8 years ago

There's a guy local to me that has this job minus the fixing of the pins which I do for flat rate $50/hr. I've sent him a link and requested the pay scale, if he doesn't mind disclosing I'll let you know what he makes. I do know he isn't happy with the amount.

#8 8 years ago

They should hire someone who isn't a tech to do all of those other things AND turn the games off when they break.

Then they should call you to come in and work on machines during off hours or in a back room.

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

Sounds like an unrealistic mix of duties. Assuming you are a qualified tech, your talents will be wasted performing the other duties (unless they want to pay technician wages to fill other less technical positions). If they are not willing to pay you for your skills, then it sounds like you are cheating yourself unless you have a vested interest in the business.

Additionally, if you will be responsible for repairing the games as well as being a "floor" tech during prime hours, you will have little time to perform major repairs and maintenance during normal business hours.

I agree with everything you said. I don't mind the other duties if that's what it takes, but I'm not going to work for minimum wage either. I think they will find that fixing and maintaining that amount of machines will be a full time undertaking.

Quoted from fumbleflippers:

There's a guy local to me that has this job minus the fixing of the pins which I do for flat rate $50/hr. I've sent him a link and requested the pay scale, if he doesn't mind disclosing I'll let you know what he makes. I do know he isn't happy with the amount.

Thanks!

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from Gorgared:

Arcade and pinball repair would be priority but when things get busy they want help bar backing, working the door, etc.

There will not be enough tech work to keep you busy all night, every night unless they are buying games without going over them and just tossing them on the floor. There will be some bugs to work out on new games, but I would expect you to spend about 80% of your time bar backing and covering the door with some exceptions. I would strongly suggest that you only agree to the arcade repair side unless as stated above

Quoted from CactusJack:

you are cheating yourself unless you have a vested interest in the business.

#11 8 years ago

Let me ask a what if type of question to you guys.

If you were a tech for a barcade, only doing pinball and arcade work, no bar type work and got a set amount of hours per week (lets say 30 hrs), and you were on their payroll (not a contractor), what would you expect to be paid hourly?

#12 8 years ago

Expect 10-20 for the skill set you have. Expect much more if your a technical guy that can not just replace transistors on site but even more elaborate work.

#13 8 years ago

35/hr would be fair to all parties in that situation IMO. That's about 1/4-1/3 of what a pro tech would get for hourly service calls.

PM'd you OP with the local guy's info.

#14 8 years ago

The two times I've had someone come in for on-site repairs by the hour, it's been in the $35-$75 per hour range.

Agree with others that 70 machines is probably full time job itself. The universe of people who have the knowledge to repair/maintain games *and* the availability to do it 30 hours a week is insanely small. I doubt they have many other options than you (though they might not know this).

Is this place already established and has had 70 playable games for a while? If not, you undercharging might risk setting them up with unrealistic expectations for the finances of this operation..

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from Gorgared:

If you were a tech for a barcade, only doing pinball and arcade work, no bar type work and got a set amount of hours per week (lets say 30 hrs), and you were on their payroll (not a contractor), what would you expect to be paid hourly?

Lol, way more than they can afford!

#16 8 years ago

Just re-read that you said entry/mid-level. Is that because *you* are a beginner? Do they also have access to an experienced tech for harder stuff?

Quoted from inhomearcades:

Expect 10-20 for the skill set you have

This can't possibly be real can it? Bartenders are making more than $10 an hour. For $10 an hour I wouldn't do more than get balls unstuck and wipe down the glass.

#17 8 years ago

Just an FYI, I help my friend maintain 50+ arcades and 8 pins at his business, and they have all been flawless now for 2 months. The only ones that break are the "fully working" new titles that he buys off craigslist, LOL...

I don't see you having all that much to do, once you bulletproof everything. Just have them pay you to fix stuff when it breaks.

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

Just re-read that you said entry/mid-level. Is that because *you* are a beginner? Do they also have access to an experienced tech for harder stuff?

This can't possibly be real can it? Bartenders are making more than $10 an hour. For $10 an hour I wouldn't do more than get balls unstuck and wipe down the glass.

I think that $10 HR for Bartenders is more like $2.13-$7.25 base pay + tips.

#19 8 years ago

You need a general guy to handle easy stuff (10.00 hr) and have a pro in as needed ( Priceless!! )

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from inhomearcades:

Expect 10-20 for the skill set you have. Expect much more if your a technical guy that can not just replace transistors on site but even more elaborate work.

So I have 4 years of hobby repair experience where I have mainly fixed broken machines that I have purchased or fixed machines for friends or friends of friends. I have shopped out 15 machines, fixed battery acid damaged boards, rebuilt bally power supply boards, coil and light transistor replacement, battery packs, new molex connectors, chip sockets, etc. I am pretty competent with electro mechanical machines as well. So I would consider myself mid-level, but not a pro.

Quoted from ryanwanger:

Do they also have access to an experienced tech for harder stuff?

They have access to a tech with 10 years experience, but he has too much going on to do more then to just help get the barcade up and running and then he is done.

Quoted from ryanwanger:

Is this place already established and has had 70 playable games for a while? If not, you undercharging might risk setting them up with unrealistic expectations for the finances of this operation..

They are not established and are 1-2 months out from opening. They may already have unrealistic expectations of pay for a tech, but we will see.

Quoted from fumbleflippers:

35/hr would be fair to all parties in that situation IMO.

Unobtainable for this position from what I could tell at the interview.

Quoted from snyper2099:

Just have them pay you to fix stuff when it breaks.

This is sounding like the best situation.

#21 8 years ago

Thanks for the info though guys. It has definitely made me think about what is fair and how things should be handled. The Pinside community rules!

#22 8 years ago

I asked for $23 an hour for a 10-25 hour /week general tech position at a local pinball establishment that was advertising that they wanted techs for a couple locations. I have a BE in instrumentation; mechatronics and robotics experience, board repair experience, small parts fabrication and repair experience, pinball repair expertise. Tools were not provided 20% unpaid travel to another location was expected.

After an hour and a half interview, they never got back to me with any kind of offer. I followed up later and was told that I was overqualified and my asking wage was beyond reasonable. They stated they couldn't couldn't pay "Apple engineering salaries". I do not know what that do pay their techs but I don't think I'd accept it. Just a data point

#23 8 years ago

Hopefully it gets figured out where all parties are good. I can't wait for this place to open up

#24 8 years ago
    Quoted from Law:

They stated they couldn't couldn't pay "Apple engineering salaries"

LOLZ.

Contract software engineering jobs pay around $90/hr as far as I can tell. Salaried is less, but still 2x to 3x more than what they consider to be "Apple engineering salaries".

1 week later
    #25 8 years ago
    Quoted from Law:

I asked for $23 an hour for a 10-25 hour /week general tech position at a local pinball establishment that was advertising that they wanted techs for a couple locations. I have a BE in instrumentation; mechatronics and robotics experience, board repair experience, small parts fabrication and repair experience, pinball repair expertise. Tools were not provided 20% unpaid travel to another location was expected.
    They never got back to me with any kind of offer. I followed up later and was told that I was overqualified and my asking wage was beyond reasonable. They stated they couldn't couldn't pay "Apple engineering salaries". I do not know what that do pay their techs but I don't think I'd accept it. Just a data point

couldn't couldn't pay "Apple engineering salaries.
    well with with Tools were not provided 20% unpaid travel to another location was expected they not be willing to pay much at all.

also $23 HR part time / your own tools / no travel pay is not that much for any type field tech work.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/on-site-barcade-tech-pay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.