You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

woz42_(resized).jpg
Capture10_(resized).JPG
Capture9_(resized).JPG

#1 7 years ago

So my WOZ's LEDS are going crazy. I have read through the forums and have received some thoughts on this issue. I have looked over every connector to make sure it is seated and tight. I have also checked to see if any boards or wires are touching and there isn't. So before I hire a technician to come out I thought I would post a youtube video of my problem:

LED's lock up at random, I use to think it was my right flipper causing the issue but now it just happens. (The video shows the lockup)
It appears the witch's castle playfield is unaffected as well as the witches well and the ramp lights. Everything below locks at random.

Thanks!

#2 7 years ago

You can see the last light that is working normally on the string in the video. So the problem is on the next board or the connector to the next board.

#3 7 years ago

It is hard to tell in the video if the monkey target inserts in the back of the forest are locked on. If they are locked on then your problem is likely between the W8 Castle board (appears to be working) and the winged monkey target light board (W7).
The boards between W8 and W7 are 192 (search insert in castle), 30 (GI under spotlight of the witch castle), 13 (GI under witch castle left side), 14 (GI under witch castle front)

W5 definitely appears to be locked on and that is connected right after W7 in the chain.

#4 7 years ago

Here is my unofficial/homemade cheat sheet for WOZ light board troubleshooting:
Capture9_(resized).JPGCapture9_(resized).JPG
Capture10_(resized).JPGCapture10_(resized).JPG

#5 7 years ago

I had the same issue. It slowly got worse over months. Sent me mad!

It turned out to be one of those tiny connectors on the cables that go between the LED boards.

It was on the black wire on the side as per the picture (not my picture (one off the web) but the same cable type). The female terminal was not fully in the connector and was in intermittent contact with the male pin on the LED board.

So when you hit the flipper the vibration would micro vibrate the pin against the poorly inserted female terminal. This caused the effect you have.

Once I pushed the female terminal into the connector properly it has remained good every since.

I would remove each connector one by one and inspect all the female terminals to ensure they are pushed all the way into the connector housings.

It's a quality control issue for the manufacture I believe. I love the machine though and have ordered a Hobbit.

Hope that helps.

woz42_(resized).jpgwoz42_(resized).jpg

#6 7 years ago

DCFAN, that is the best cheat sheet ever. Thanks for posting.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Hitch9:

DCFAN, that is the best cheat sheet ever. Thanks for posting.

Thank you. I am glad you like it. I was not sure if anybody else would benefit from it so I had been holding on to it since I did it quite a while back. You can also use it in conjunction with the JJP top view drawing that shows where the light boards are located in relation to the inserts.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-new-rrwoz-gi-controlled-out#post-2673430

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

It is hard to tell in the video if the monkey target inserts in the back of the forest are locked on. If they are locked on then your problem is likely between the W8 Castle board (appears to be working) and the winged monkey target light board (W7).
The boards between W8 and W7 are 192 (search insert in castle), 30 (GI under spotlight of the witch castle), 13 (GI under witch castle left side), 14 (GI under witch castle front)
W5 definitely appears to be locked on and that is connected right after W7 in the chain.

Thanks for all they help guys thought I had it licked but here is what happened:
I pulled out the connectors on boards w7, 14, 13, 10, w5, w1 and w3 and looked for any loose or unseated wires. I couldnt see any loose connections (black wire or otherwise) however I find it difficult to determine with such small connectors. Started the game and played for awhile and all seemed well and fixed. Then when hitting my right flipper I noticed the flicker. It conitnued more frequently then everything locked again. I didnt look under the withes castle (I Believe 192, 30?) Do I have to remove the witches castle for access? Thanks again guys. This is frustrating to say the least. I am no pinball tech.

Oh and the monkey target inserts in the back of the Forrest are locked as well.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#9 7 years ago

The Witch castle flipper is controlled by the right flipper button. I am guessing you have a loose connection on one of the light boards under the castle near the flipper such as #30 or #14. #30 and #14 are before the winged monkey inserts in the stream.

Pages E2-E3 of the manual has the step-by-step instructions for removing the witch castle playfield.

http://support.jerseyjackpinball.com/downloads/woz/Wizard_of_Oz_Manual_3_0_June_2014.pdf

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

The Witch castle flipper is controlled by the right flipper button. I am guessing you have a loose connection on one of the light boards under the castle near the flipper such as #30 or #14. #30 and #14 are before the winged monkey inserts in the stream.
Pages E2-E3 of the manual has the step-by-step instructions for removing the witch castle playfield.
http://support.jerseyjackpinball.com/downloads/woz/Wizard_of_Oz_Manual_3_0_June_2014.pdf

I was afraid of that. Thanks!

#11 7 years ago

So I think I got it. Two of the boards were touching each other under the castle field, readjusted and that seemed to fix it. However, when I turned the game on the Castle VUK kept popping like 8 times like there was a ball in there. Ok it stopped so I started playing, when I broke down the doors and the ball landed in the VUK it wouldn't eject the ball? Did I mess something else up under the castle field? Is there a sensor that I may have disconnected? To add to my pain, the Winkie guard target broke. Im having a bad day. Thanks again for the help!

#12 7 years ago

From memory, I think there is an opto for that Vuk. You may have disconnected that.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

From memory, I think there is an opto for that Vuk. You may have disconnected that.

Would that be located under the play field? Thanks DCFAN!

#14 7 years ago

I believe the opto that would be under the VUK has wires that go to a small opto control board on the underside of the main playfield.

#15 7 years ago

Are you sure it was the castle VUK and not the Winkie? There is a switch at the bottom of the Winkie that let's the OS know it's down. If it doesn't know where the Winkie is it will keep firing the Winkie coil. You will see a protrusion near the bottom of the Winkie that engages the leaf spring looking thing that protrudes from the little black box with the switch in it. Make sure the leaf actuator is on the correct side of the protrusion and also the switch is working properly - you should here it click when Winkie goes down. Pin should be off when doing the above.

Check in switch test mode for proper Castle VUK operation. You can take a piece of paper and insert in VUK hole which should turn the test mode light from green to red (or vice versa).

If test mode of VUK shows nothing is working something is unplugged so you'll have to trace it back

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

Are you sure it was the castle VUK and not the Winkie? There is a switch at the bottom of the Winkie that let's the OS know it's down. If it doesn't know where the Winkie is it will keep firing the Winkie coil. You will see a protrusion near the bottom of the Winkie that engages the leaf spring looking thing that protrudes from the little black box with the switch in it. Make sure the leaf actuator is on the correct side of the protrusion and also the switch is working properly - you should here it click when Winkie goes down. Pin should be off when doing the above.
Check in switch test mode for proper Castle VUK operation. You can take a piece of paper and insert in VUK hole which should turn the test mode light from green to red (or vice versa).
If test mode of VUK shows nothing is working something is unplugged so you'll have to trace it back

I will check that out. Thanks wtatumjr!

#17 7 years ago

There should be a credit dot and error log for which switch is/was acting up.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/on-going-led-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.