Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Dent00
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

Hi all,

Got first pinball machine for the family for Christmas, a Led Zeppelin Premium... The first night though I realized I'm not sure if it should be turned off.

I leave my PC on 24/7 as well as a slot machine but unsure about the pinball machine. If power cycling can be damaging or if any legitimate concern of leaving on.

One concern I have, other than cycling damage, would be the gameboard being detected. When we first set it up and powered on was not detecting board. Checked cables, which were all fine, then did detect board so not sure.

Any advice and what does everyone else do?

And is there concern or reason to not leave on 24/7? Electric bill is minimal in my area.

Thank you.

-- And apologies if wrong forum.

#2 2 years ago
    Quoted from Luk3:

Any advice and what does everyone else do?

If you are done playing it for an hour or more. Turn it off.

Quoted from Luk3:

When we first set it up and powered on was not detecting board. Checked cables, which were all fine, then did detect board so not sure.

Probably a loose cable. Your checking them fixed it.

LTG : )

#3 2 years ago

^^^^Lloyd has spoken, agreed, thread over

#4 2 years ago

Turning it on/off isn't going to hurt it. I have games from the 60s I turn off and they still work when I turn them on.

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Turning it on/off isn't going to hurt it. I have games from the 60s I turn off and they still work when I turn them on.

Irrelevant. He has a Led Zep, not an EM. EM's aren't susceptible to thermal cycling (well, except for the cabinet and the backglass, I suppose LOL). PCBs and components CAN be, but I don't think there's any real reason for concern with modern pinball machines in this regard. Turn the thing off and stop wasting power.

#6 2 years ago

There really isn't any strong reason to NOT leave it on 24/7.

If we're talking for a very extended period of time you'll probably see components wear a little faster with heat than if you didn't do that. Maybe you need to change the power supply after 18 years instead of 25? I don't know that's not a thing yet these games are too new.

I wouldn't worry about the cycling power thingy. I have just under 90 machines and wouldn't have any reason to leave any of them on over night. Especially some of the older ones I'd have more anxiety leaving them on unattended.

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

There really isn't any strong reason to NOT leave it on 24/7.
    If we're talking for a very extended period of time you'll probably see components wear a little faster with heat than if you didn't do that. Maybe you need to change the power supply after 18 years instead of 25? I don't know that's not a thing yet these games are too new.
    I wouldn't worry about the cycling power thingy. I have just under 90 machines and wouldn't have any reason to leave any of them on over night. Especially some of the older ones I'd have more anxiety leaving them on unattended.

A coil locking while no one is around is always a crowd pleaser

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from The_Pump_House:

A coil locking while no one is around is always a crowd pleaser

Yes! I'd rather take my chances of turning a machine off after 10 minutes of play than leaving it on and burning the entire house down.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from ahdelarge:

Yes! I'd rather take my chances of turning a machine off after 10 minutes of play than leaving it on and burning the entire house down.

A corvette I picked up had an issue with the coil on the LT5 ramp being energized all the time. Not enough current to close the gate but enough to heat that sucker up and melt the lug tab and cook the paper off.

Let's just say I was happy I was standing there playing the pin next to it and smell it before it got out of hand.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from Luk3:

not detecting board. Checked cables, which were all fine, then did detect board so not sure.

on newer sterns (Jurassic park and up) they put back the safety interlock switch near the coin door. The door needs to be shut or the switch pushed in. Otherwise nodes on the playfields won't be detected. Also, yeah turn it off.... though it probably won't kill anything either way.

#11 2 years ago

Unless you play your games 24/7 then you should power down between plays. The electricity bill isnt the real issue here but rather electrical failures and possibly a fire.

Call me paranoid but I always disconnet all my games physically through a single wall breaker when I leave the game room. This not only prevent fires in failing electronics but also eliminates any issues with electrical spikes/lightning strikes and such.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from hocuslocus:

on newer sterns (Jurassic park and up) they put back the safety interlock switch near the coin door. The door needs to be shut or the switch pushed in.

Or pull the switch outward. It's a 3-way switch.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from Shogun00:

Or pull the switch outward. It's a 3-way switch.

didn't know that.

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

Unless you play your games 24/7 then you should power down between plays. The electricity bill isnt the real issue here but rather electrical failures and possibly a fire.
    Call me paranoid but I always disconnet all my games physically through a single wall breaker when I leave the game room. This not only prevent fires in failing electronics but also eliminates any issues with electrical spikes/lightning strikes and such.

You can also improve the protection for machines by plugging them into an outlet strip with surge protection.
    If there is a lightning strike in the area, the outlet strip could protect the machine from serious damage, assuming it does have surge protection.
    Some outlet strips do not have surge protection, so check that out.
    Most outlet strips also have a circuit breakers rated for 15 Amps, which likely will trip before the circuit breaker at the panel.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/on-24-7?hl=dent00 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.