Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN2112_(768x1024).jpg
DSCN1885.JPG
DSCN2106.JPG
DSCN2103.JPG
teardown_1.jpg

#1 11 years ago

Well, my LED kit came in from Pinball Heaven today, so it is finally time to do my full teardown and cleaning!!!

In actuality, I am about half way thru the teardown. I have been taking TONs of pics, so I can attempt to re-assemble it.

Wish me luck! This thing is filthy! and I have a lot of warped plastics.. But I am not worrying with those at this moment. This summer I will do it again and use the sun to flatten them back out.

#2 11 years ago

I did my first full teardown/restoration about a month ago.
Best pinball experience ever.
Now I understand the game inside and out and have greater appreciation for it every time I play.

So long as you've been taking tons of pics you'll be golden.

#3 11 years ago

Yes, you are crazy and so am I.

I bought a perfectly fine JM a month ago and have since completely disassembled it. I'm cleaning, sanding, and painting the cabinet, cleaning everything else, do minor touch-ups to the PF, rebuilding flippers and pop bumpers, replacing all coil sleeves, re-working the hand so that it (hopefully) it works flawlessly, installing LED in the inserts and back box... etc. etc.

I was just going to clean it and maybe install LEDs. In the government contracting world, we call this scope creep!

Good luck to you, you'll have fun - I am! However, I wish I had a machine to play, hah!

PS. Ranhorton is right, during teardown I took at least 200 pictures.

#4 11 years ago

I'd put your plastics in the oven or get a new set. While you have it torn down is the best time to do it. Good luck, TAF is a good one to start with. It was my first pin and I had it torn down the week I got it to replace plastics. If you run into roadblocks don't hesitate to ask questions. Take your time and do it right thr first time and you'll have a great playing game for years to come.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

I'd put your plastics in the oven or get a new set.

+1 on that. I only tried this with one plastic but got excellent results. People have started threads on here using this method, I would look them up.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from PeteM:

In the government contracting world, we call this scope creep!

As a Federal worker... I know all too well about Scope Creep It haunts every project I am put on!

I am going to have to wait on the plastics. Mine are in motly good shape, but since I just spent a few grand on the wife's dream oven.... I am NOT allowed to bake plastics in it. So this summer I will take it down for the next cleaning... Trust me it will need it as much we we play... 1200 games in 3 weeks so far...

And Then I will use the two pieces of glass and sun method. But it is not warm enough now to pull that off.

I am off until tuesday and home to be done by then. I put all new rubber on few weeks ago, but they all need to be cleaned again.. So I will likely toss them in the dishwasher with the plastics.

I am ALMOST done with the tear down, but I can seem to get to the screws holding the back most right plastics in, so I can get them out and take off things box. So I gotta go route around the tool chests to see what I can find to reach them with. Also, the under playfield ramp was a PAIN to get off!!!

#7 11 years ago

Warped plastics - what works for me....wife's hair dryer on hot setting, granite countertop. Heat them up and you'll see them get pliable. Slap a piece of glass on them and maybe a book for weight. Takes about a minute for a perfectly flat plastic.

#8 11 years ago

I am going to get started on my Addams Family after Christmas.
Just to many people over for the holidays to get started on it now.
If there is a spot you missed with the photos (and there always is), just let us know and we can help you get it back together correctly.

#9 11 years ago

I may try that after I wash the plastics..

I assume that the wires and switches which are riveted tot he plastics will be fine to go thru the dishwasher? Since there is no electricity going to them, theoretically, the water shouldn't hurt them....

How do I get the flippers off?

Thanks everyone for the encouraging and help!

#10 11 years ago

To remove the flipper bats, there is an allen nut that keeps the shaft tight against the metal grip of the linkage. Loosen this nut and the shaft will slide out easily.

#12 11 years ago

TAF is relatively tough to shop because of the back edge of the playfield. Other than WH2O, I think it's one of the toughest, but you'll be fine. Have fun!

#13 11 years ago

Congrats. I sort of feel sorry for guys that only buy NIB sterns and never get to experience this... at least not right away

TAF was my first game and gave me the confidence to buy other games in lesser condition. I'm now on my 11th or 12th pin and many of them have been routed games that I restored myself. Funny enough, I have never given TAF more than a basic cleaning. It worked fine from day one and only now, after almost 8 years, am I starting to take mine apart for a playfield swap and to freshen up the cabinet.

You'll have a blast. I don't think you can really know a game until you've done this.

#14 11 years ago

If you are tearing down taf and dont even know how to remove flippers....then yes..u r nuts haha

#15 11 years ago

TAF is my first... Well second Pinball, but the first, didn't work. I had planned to fix it until I bought TAF. So I sold it to fund my Digi Pinball Sim I am planning later. I wasn't sure if I had to remove the entire post, or if the flipper was supposed to come off the post somehow. Glad I didn't wrench on it

Well, it is all apart, aside from the upper right corner. I just could not get to it. But since there is no bulb there, I cleaned it while still attached. All the parts have been washed, so I will let them dry over night. Currently I am working on installing all the LEDs. I am replacing every bulb in it with LEDs. I did the backbox and flashers before I started the teardown, so I could see how I liked it... LOVE them!! But one of my Red Flasher LEDs is not working quite right, so I will have to get a replacement for it. No matter which socket I put it into, it is very weak. Barely lights at all. No biggie.

Tomorrow morning, while my wife is still asleep, I will go out to the garage and polish all the metal bits from the playfield. So with a little luck, we will be trying to beat each other on it again tomorrow afternoon!!

For the record, the dishwasher did my plastics no favors. They are more warped now. I set it to it's gentlest setting, thinking that would not use too hot of a water, but alas... It seems it did.

No biggie. I will either heat them tomorrow, or as originally planned, this summer for the next cleaning. I also need to order different balls. My brand new ones I put in 3 weeks ago are already magnetized. I thought I ordered The ones that would not magnetize, but I guess I didn't.

I will post up some pics when I get it all back together. For now... This is it when I had it almost disassembled...
teardown_1.jpgteardown_1.jpg

#16 11 years ago

Looks like that TAF has great bones. Should make a really nice machine.....good luck..the results will be more than worth it

#17 11 years ago

don't sweat it man. walk in the park, as long as you have a great digital camera with lots pics (i'm talking angles and pics after every piece pulled off the pf during your shop) you should manage to work it all back together. try a playfield swap..lmao that was intense!!!! there's nothing better than playing an 'older' williams machine that is super fresh and clean.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from PeteM:

Yes, you are crazy and so am I.
I bought a perfectly fine JM a month ago and have since completely disassembled it. I'm cleaning, sanding, and painting the cabinet, cleaning everything else, do minor touch-ups to the PF, rebuilding flippers and pop bumpers, replacing all coil sleeves, re-working the hand so that it

I just did this as well with a JM I just bought-- You mentioned painting; are you doing anything with the cabinet art or have a link of where to get it?

#19 11 years ago

Ok.... 6 hours later and All the bulbs are replaced with LEDs. I have one socket that doesn't work.. The one under Mamushika, so I have to look into it. And I am short 3 LEDs. So I will get ahold of Pinball Heaven and have them send me the missing ones.

Tomorrow I will polish the metal as planned and start putting the playfield back together. The LEDs look GREAT!! They are not too bright and my whites are no longer yellow or beige. I can't wait to play it! The complete LED kit from PH was I think $120 so, not bad at all! The flashers under the PF for the graveyard and for the Magnet power bolts and the "The Power" are all Tower SMDs So they are BRIGHT!!! I like it! All the white 555's are frosted and look great as well.

The PF is so smooth and slick! The ball is just going to fly!

Still a whole lot of work to go, but I am pleased with the progress so far. I was told this TAF was a HUO. Based on what I have seen in arcades and such, I tend to believe it.

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from RandyW:

TAF is my first... Well second Pinball, but the first, didn't work. I had planned to fix it until I bought TAF. So I sold it to fund my Digi Pinball Sim I am planning later. I wasn't sure if I had to remove the entire post, or if the flipper was supposed to come off the post somehow. Glad I didn't wrench on it
Well, it is all apart, aside from the upper right corner. I just could not get to it. But since there is no bulb there, I cleaned it while still attached. All the parts have been washed, so I will let them dry over night. Currently I am working on installing all the LEDs. I am replacing every bulb in it with LEDs. I did the backbox and flashers before I started the teardown, so I could see how I liked it... LOVE them!! But one of my Red Flasher LEDs is not working quite right, so I will have to get a replacement for it. No matter which socket I put it into, it is very weak. Barely lights at all. No biggie.
Tomorrow morning, while my wife is still asleep, I will go out to the garage and polish all the metal bits from the playfield. So with a little luck, we will be trying to beat each other on it again tomorrow afternoon!!
For the record, the dishwasher did my plastics no favors. They are more warped now. I set it to it's gentlest setting, thinking that would not use too hot of a water, but alas... It seems it did.
No biggie. I will either heat them tomorrow, or as originally planned, this summer for the next cleaning. I also need to order different balls. My brand new ones I put in 3 weeks ago are already magnetized. I thought I ordered The ones that would not magnetize, but I guess I didn't.
I will post up some pics when I get it all back together. For now... This is it when I had it almost disassembled...

Get those tools OFF the playfield! Accidents happen all too easy.

#21 11 years ago

They are not there now
They were there whilst I washed my hands and took a picture.

#22 11 years ago

Awesome. Gawwd, I want an Addams Family so bad! Yours looks so nice.

And don't worry about laying your screwdriver on the pf. Not gong to hurt anything, i mean come on, there's giant ball bearings flying around that thing for 20 years, it'll be fine.

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

If you are tearing down taf and dont even know how to remove flippers....then yes..u r nuts haha

I was sort of thinking this as well... While you have it apart, you want to rebuild the pop bumpers, as especially on TAF they will need it, but if you haven't rebuilt flippers before... I hesitate to recommend that, but you should...

#24 11 years ago

Good going! I am also tearing my addams family down at this time. I can only work on it an hour or so a day, so I'll be taking it slow. I've done this to several playfields, so nothing new to me. There is only one ramp on this machine so it's really not too bad. Other machines with interlocking ramps are more of a pain. If you mess with the swamp sheet metal below, be sure to get all the subway ramp, gates, and switches lined up, or the ball gets stuck. A couple of the VUK on my machine had broken welds, so I drilled them and screwed them back together with tiny screws and nuts. This machine is alot easier to take apart than scared stiff, believe me!

#25 11 years ago

Best of luck to you Always wanted a TAF glad to see this one is being well taken care of

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from Ranhorton:

So long as you've been taking tons of pics you'll be golden.

This particular bit of advice is priceless. No matter how many you think you need, always take a few more from various angles. I tore down my TAF a few years ago and didn't quite capture every angle and it added a lot of time to the job. Good luck.

#27 11 years ago

I write a list as I disassemble, because *sequence* is so important. You can't put THIS back on until you put THAT back on, etc. Sucks to remount a bunch of stuff... then realize there was something you needed to remount *before* all that. Argh!

#28 11 years ago

Fortunately, I cut my teeth by repairing laptops for several years. So I know all too well about order of dis-assembly/reassembly.

So far I have made a lot of progress. I installed new EOS switches on all the flippers. I have a flipper rebuild kit on order, but it has not arrived yet. Ever since the hurricane hit the NE, mail has been dreadfully slow. But it will be no biggie to do that after the fact.

I have all the metal parts cleaned up and back on, The bookcase has been fully disassembled, scrubbed and reinstalled. Now to get onto the plastics. I was also going to install fuse holders on my magnets today, but it seems I forgot to buy fuses. So I will do that when my flipper rebuild kit gets here.

Well..... Back at it!

#29 11 years ago

Hot dog!!! It is finished and everything works!!! Pictures to follow in a few minutes..... After we play a game

#30 11 years ago

Ok the wife took a few pics before we put the glass back on Here are a couple......

DSCN2103.JPGDSCN2103.JPG DSCN2106.JPGDSCN2106.JPG

Still more work to do in order to fully restore it... But no more big purchases until I buy furniture and curtains for our new home

#31 11 years ago

I see you went with the blue LEDs under the GRAVE lights. I did the same thing and love the look. They should have been blue from the factory. Really makes them pop.

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from CoffinStuffer:

I just did this as well with a JM I just bought-- You mentioned painting; are you doing anything with the cabinet art or have a link of where to get it?

Yes, contact pinsider Biglaw.

#33 11 years ago

YEa and I plan to go with Blue LED flashers for the cloud topper too. I have one white flasher in there now, but I need to order two new bulb holders. So I will get the flashers then too.

#34 11 years ago

I'm not far behind you tearing down my TAM, waiting a year now for the Illinois pinball playfield, just a few more months I think...

#35 11 years ago

Beautiful, I love it

#36 11 years ago

I had no idea there were so many pop bumpers on TAF. I totally need one!

#37 11 years ago

Yup! 5 pops... And a PITA to rebuild and rewire them
That's on my to-do list as I will be swapping my playfield in the next couple of weeks.

#38 11 years ago
Quoted from Joshmx19:

I had no idea there were so many pop bumpers on TAF. I totally need one!

OH YEAH. P.L. loves pop bumpers.

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from RawleyD:

Beautiful, I love it

Thank you It was a LOT of work, but oh so worth it. To give an idea of the difference the LEDs make...

Here is Before....
DSCN1885.JPGDSCN1885.JPG
And here is it after.....
DSCN2112_(768x1024).jpgDSCN2112_(768x1024).jpg

Ignore the butt ugly homemade Rotisserie. I wound up not using it and will make it better for the next time I DO need it.

#40 11 years ago

so jealous right now! My favorite game of all time.

#42 11 years ago

Great job brother! Wish i were there to play it

#43 11 years ago

Yea, I read his teardown before I started. If I had another pin to play, during the month it would take me to do all that... And had the grand or so to spare on parts... I would LOVE to do one that far. But as is, I am very happy with it!

Thanks!

And feel free to stop by for a game

#44 11 years ago

Looks great!

#45 11 years ago

Wow it sure plays nice now! Not that it didn't before, but holy cow!

I have a couple switches I have to check out, because they report an error, but other than that and needing a couple LEDs that were left out of my kit, everything is working well!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens
Toys/Add-ons
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
16,500 (OBO)
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball
Other
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/omg-i-am-nuts-my-first-playfield-teardown-taf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.