IMG_1756 (resized).JPG
IMG_1755 (resized).JPG
IMG_6174 (resized).JPG
IMG_6173 (resized).JPG
IMG_1723 (resized).JPG
2017-09-20 19.11.08A (resized).jpg
DSCN8509 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

I have a Williams Olympic Hockey that everything works except the goal puck. If i make a goal on the first player when i hit something for the puck to reset it sometimes resets back to the center. Sometimes it does not go all the way. It just stops a little short and the score motor just runs and runs. I can barely move the unit for the puck in the back box and it stops the score motor. On the 2nd player it works perfect every time. I have tried adjusting to no end. Has anyone seen this before or have any ideas what i might try? Thanks

#2 6 years ago

Hi pbm3
I would like to help - I do not know the pin - I look at ipdb-pictures, manual and schematics. First I ask some questions so I really understand the pin.

Here http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1709&picno=10276 I see 10 rollover buttons in an arc - the rightmost button is lit - below is one of the arrows lit to tell us in what direction the light below the buttons will step. This http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1709&picno=30772 is the area below the playfield. Here http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1709&picno=18916 I see the puck set a bit to the right. Here http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1709&picno=30763 we see it in the backbox.

Question-1: Do playfield-light(s) and Backbox-puck step synchronous - means there are two sighs to inform the player about ONE fact ? (((Or does playfield-light step - but Backbox does not step etc. - means there are two independent / different features ?

Question-2: The goodie in Your pin / Backbox - has it a papertag - what is written on the tag ? Maybe "Advance Unit" ? or what ?

Question-3: The stepping on "Advance-Unit" - does it usually step just ONE step ? - seldom 3 steps ? When a new game starts: Stepping as many steps needed to reach "middle position" ?
Different numbers in stepping ?
In a One-Player-Game: always stepping to the left (respectively always to the right) ? After a goal has been made: The pinball-machine does automatically reset to middle-position ?
In a Two-Player-Game the logic of stepping is ?
When a ball is lost: Does the machine reset the Advance-Unit to "middle position" for next player / next ball ? You see - I do not understand the logic in this unit ...

Question-4: Do You have 1 - better 2 jumper-wires ? You then can manipulate - forcing a good / guaranteed connection (through jumper-wire(s) - the long jumper-wires are clipped-on where we mus clip-on - but the jumper-wires are long - so You can stand at the backbox watching the unit - making contact as You hold the free ends of the two jumper-wires together.

Question-5: Does the description in post-1 means "stepping is good - but when making a goal: RESET is no good" ? Greetings Rolf

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballman3:

I have a Williams Olympic Hockey that everything works except the goal puck. If i make a goal on the first player when i hit something for the puck to reset it sometimes resets back to the center. Sometimes it does not go all the way. It just stops a little short and the score motor just runs and runs. I can barely move the unit for the puck in the back box and it stops the score motor. On the 2nd player it works perfect every time. I have tried adjusting to no end. Has anyone seen this before or have any ideas what i might try? Thanks

I just picked up two of these today. Here's a note I read on the Internet Pinball Machine database under reveiwer's comments:

Nice game fun to play and dependable. Clean lube & tighten springs on the puck unit for reset problems.
Art : 7 / 10

Good luck with yours. I will be restoring mine in the summer, hopefully

#4 6 years ago

A few fun and fast 2 player game, very complex and picky when it comes to adjustments IMHO!!

Make sure the puck mech board is centered correctly (there is 2 screws to allow rotation) and contacts clean and the player ball unit was a trouble spot on mine too. Reliable now but took some doing to get it there.

Anyone have a decent backglass for sale? Mine is in tatters.

DSCN8509 (resized).JPGDSCN8509 (resized).JPG

#5 6 years ago

Thanks for the replies. It will be Wednesday before i can get back at it. gdonovan where are these 2 screws for adjustment?

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

A few fun and fast 2 player game, very complex and picky when it comes to adjustments IMHO!!
Make sure the puck mech board is centered correctly (there is 2 screws to allow rotation) and contacts clean and the player ball unit was a trouble spot on mine too. Reliable now but took some doing to get it there.

I got a quote from this place but, they are not silk screened and are not cheap. $245 plus shipping. I will probably get one, and attempt to the restore the one I have ( I have two machines).

Good luck!

http://bgresto.com/

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballman3:

Thanks for the replies. It will be Wednesday before i can get back at it. gdonovan where are these 2 screws for adjustment?

Under the reel the puck tape is on. You can remove the 7/16's nut to take reel off and loosen the 2 screws. Sometimes you can just grab the PCB and tweak it one direction or the other.

When in the center position the "first" light should be lit on the playfield indicator rollovers. Some times tweaking back and forth will be required.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Heatbag:

I got a quote from this place but, they are not silk screened and are not cheap. $245 plus shipping. I will probably get one, and attempt to the restore the one I have ( I have two machines).
Good luck!
http://bgresto.com/

I'm aware and have been in contact with them, can't justify spending that on a slightly beat up and well worn pin at this time.

#9 6 years ago

Picture with arrow added.

2017-09-20 19.11.08A (resized).jpg2017-09-20 19.11.08A (resized).jpg

#10 6 years ago

Ok i will try this Wensday. I have had that nut off and the unit apart and cleaned the PCB with 1000 grit wet dry paper and alcohol. Then i put a light coat of super lube on PCB. So you are saying there are 2 nuts under there once you take the 7/16 nut off and the reel off. You can loosen them and turn the PCB some to adjust it?

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballman3:

Ok i will try this Wensday. I have had that nut off and the unit apart and cleaned the PCB with 1000 grit wet dry paper and alcohol. Then i put a light coat of super lube on PCB. So you are saying there are 2 nuts under there once you take the 7/16 nut off and the reel off. You can loosen them and turn the PCB some to adjust it?

No, there is two screws on the top, under the reel. Taking the reel off is the only way to access them. Loosening them will allow you to rotate the PCB disc left to right to center the unit.

Note that centering the puck on the backglass and centering the unit electrically are two separate adjustments. Do electrically first, then worry about the puck after.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Not sure if this one is better than yours but you can have it for free if local or you pay pack/ship

IMG_1723 (resized).JPGIMG_1723 (resized).JPG

This is from a parts machine so if you need other items let me know

Thanks

Mike V

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from RacingPin:

Not sure if this one is better than yours but you can have it for free if local or you pay pack/ship

Thanks
Mike V

Appreciate the offer, looks more or less the same condition as the one I have though.

#14 6 years ago

Ok i have adjusted the pcb to get the puck reset working. The problem is i can not get the lights on playfield corresponding to puck location to work. I had them working once. I turned machine off. When i turned it back on and started a game the playfield lights did not work. I cannot get any of the lights to light now. Is there something else besides the puck unit that could keep the lights from working? Thanks

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballman3:

Ok i have adjusted the pcb to get the puck reset working. The problem is i can not get the lights on playfield corresponding to puck location to work. I had them working once. I turned machine off. When i turned it back on and started a game the playfield lights did not work. I cannot get any of the lights to light now. Is there something else besides the puck unit that could keep the lights from working? Thanks

Check to make sure there is no broken wire to the puck unit or a bent/dirty finger contact.

#16 6 years ago

I realized there where no lights on playfield working except the red arrow. I cleaned and tightened the fuse holders up and they started working again. I guess starting the game that time jarred the fuse loose. Thanks for your help. All is working now.

1 week later
#17 6 years ago

Well i thought it was working completely but its not. All of the lights work on both players and the puck advances and resets correctly on both players. The problem is neither player scores a goal when it reaches the goal and the puck also resets to center on its own instead of it lighting the side lane. Anyone know what this could be? Thanks

#18 6 years ago

Got it. Was a stuck switch

#19 6 years ago

I had a similar issue but mine won't reset more than 2-3 steps after a goal on player 1, player 2 is perfect. Sounds like you got yours working nicely - mine is still stuck in incorrect operation purgatory.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-olympic-hockey-inconsistent-advance-reset

Quoted from RacingPin:

RacingPin If you've got the goal PCB and the reel unit with the spring loaded contacts I might take you up on that. The connections at/on the PCB seems to be my issue.

gdonovan & Heatbag my backglass was the one used for the BGresto repo. It turned out pretty nice but being picky, there are a few little issues mostly around the mask/blackout layer. There's lots of extra light shining through around the score wheels, Ball in Play count, and the match numbers. I'd be happy to try to scan you a copy of the front art. The problem with the mask layer is it's baked behind a black layer of paint so not much to offer to help recreate a real translite.

IMG_6173 (resized).JPGIMG_6173 (resized).JPG

IMG_6174 (resized).JPGIMG_6174 (resized).JPG

#20 6 years ago

@steviechs: Here are the unique items I found in the parts machine head.

IMG_1755 (resized).JPGIMG_1755 (resized).JPGIMG_1756 (resized).JPGIMG_1756 (resized).JPGIMG_1757 (resized).JPGIMG_1757 (resized).JPG

9 months later
#21 5 years ago

I have this same machine and cleaned, fixed and adjusted it and have it working pretty well but with one issue.

I get intermittent Advance (top rollovers, side roll overs, lower rollovers and center pop bumper) to goal on player 1. Player 2 advances without an issue. If I just play 1-player games eventually it seems to fix itself until I go to a 2 player game again.

I have cleaned and adjusted the Player Relay and Transfer Relay but still have the intermittent problem with Player 1.

Any suggestions?

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from pheff:

I get intermittent Advance

If the wire colors at schematic F12 for Left Advance coil and Right Advance coil are correct for what's not working, and your advance to goal unit is working mechanically, what's the Transfer relay doing when your game is malfunctioning?

1 month later
#23 5 years ago
Quoted from RacingPin:

steviechs: Here are the unique items I found in the parts machine head.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Is there any chance you still have the advance unit shown in IMG_1757? I have this machine and one of the ratchet stops just broke off from metal fatigue.

Thanks!!!

1 year later
#24 4 years ago

I have this machine and everything works except the buzzer does not sound when a goal is scored. The buzzer is there, but no sound.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from dppe:

I have this machine and everything works except the buzzer does not sound when a goal is scored. The buzzer is there, but no sound.

Adjust the buzzer to soft instead of loud. See if it will work with that setting. One of ours doesn't work on loud, but does on soft.
-Paul

#26 4 years ago

If it doesn't buzz when set to soft, Inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires
If it buzzes when set to soft and you want it to buzz when set to loud, replace the diode.

http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
2 years later
#27 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballman3:

Got it. Was a stuck switch

Which switch was it? That condition of no goal scoring, then pucks resets to center when no 10 button is hit.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/olympic-hockey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.