(Topic ID: 182832)

Older Toy Funrise pinball machines

By FunriseGuy

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

F1 (resized).jpg
    Compare (resized).jpg
    Spares (resized).jpg
    F1 (resized).jpg
    033 (resized).jpg
    032 (resized).jpg
    030 (resized).jpg
    28 (resized).jpg
    27 (resized).jpg
    26 (resized).jpg
    25 (resized).jpg
    24 (resized).jpg
    23 (resized).jpg
    29 (resized).jpg
    22 (resized).jpg
    21 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider funriseguy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I didn't know if there was an interest in the toy pinball machines but I thought I'd put this post here. I've done extensive searches and have found nothing about these even though so many are still out there. They've been around since the 90's and they're rock solid little games as so many have survived in great condition. These can be either table top using the little stub legs or free standing with a braced leg set included with the game. The spinning bumper motor in one I bought needed replacing so I decided to write up a tear down and reveal. All of the older Funrise pinball machines, no matter the graphics, are the same.

Inside a Funrise Pinball Machine – Harley Davidson version

000 (resized).JPG000 (resized).JPG

#2 7 years ago

I got a good one cheap and it needed a good cleaning inside. A little pressure using a Swiffer dust cloth cleaned the metal strips in front of the rebound and bumper springs. There was a light dust of black rubber on the surface probably from the surface of the spinning wheel and flippers hitting and being worn down by the pinball. After testing everything I found the spinner motor was shot. It would barely move when the Play button was used.

To remove the spinner I disassembled everything. This is the underside of the machine with the leg holder brackets and cover removed. The red disc below the main circuit board is the motor assembly.

001 (resized).jpg001 (resized).jpg

#3 7 years ago

Main circuit board. This is old school technology. Nothing on this board that couldn't be replaced with a trip to (what's left of) Radio Shack. I find it interesting because most electronics even in the early 2000s were wave soldered surface mount components.

002 (resized).jpg002 (resized).jpg

22 (resized).jpg22 (resized).jpg

#4 7 years ago

The two ribbon cables go to the interface connector. See next page. The top side of the connector looks like something you would plug an old Atari game cartridge into. The scoreboard has the connector that slide into it just like a cartridge. To the left of the connector board is a tube with a fastener that you tighten down when the scoreboard is in place.

003 (resized).jpg003 (resized).jpg

#5 7 years ago

Close up of motor assembly.

004 (resized).jpg004 (resized).jpg

#6 7 years ago

I de-soldered the wires to the motor circuit board then removed the four outer screws after the top assembly from the table side is removed.

This is the opening for the assembly.

005 (resized).jpg005 (resized).jpg

#7 7 years ago

To be able to remove the former you will need to cut a small hole in the middle of the top of the spinner and remove a Philips screw.

006 (resized).jpg006 (resized).jpg

#8 7 years ago

The piece in the middle sits just below the top of the spinner. It’s what the pinball hits and is slammed away. The piece to the right is the opposite side of the piece from underneath.

007 (resized).jpg007 (resized).jpg

#9 7 years ago

Opposite

008 (resized).jpg008 (resized).jpg

#10 7 years ago

I removed the circuit board from the motor and pulled the cover off. I now see a big flaw in this assembly.

009 (resized).jpg009 (resized).jpg

#11 7 years ago

010 (resized).jpg010 (resized).jpg

#12 7 years ago

011 (resized).jpg011 (resized).jpg

#13 7 years ago

Motor is 21mm in diameter x 25 length. Assumed a 1.5 to 3 volt unit as volt meter reads 2.5 volts at the connections to the motor circuit board. RPMs unknown.

Scoreboard

012 (resized).jpg012 (resized).jpg

#14 7 years ago

Inside scoreboard. Love the molded stereo speaker setup!

013 (resized).jpg013 (resized).jpg

#15 7 years ago

014 (resized).jpg014 (resized).jpg

#16 7 years ago

On/Off switch and volume control

015 (resized).jpg015 (resized).jpg

#17 7 years ago

Game console type connector to LCD display. To the left is the nut the base fastener connects to locking the two assemblies into place.

016 (resized).jpg016 (resized).jpg

#18 7 years ago

The connection

017 (resized).jpg017 (resized).jpg

#19 7 years ago

Here is a place next to the ball chute where the ball can get trapped. You have to manually release the ball by pulling a tab underneath the table. On every machine I've seen this is broken and you have to life the Plexiglas top to dislodge it.

20 (resized).jpg20 (resized).jpg

#20 7 years ago

21 (resized).jpg21 (resized).jpg

#21 7 years ago

A Batman Funrise Pinball Machine with a few mods for better play and one for looks. The LED strip around the edge is from WalMart. It's supposed to go around the rim of a bicycle wheel.

29 (resized).jpg29 (resized).jpg

#23 7 years ago

Had a problem with the ball launcher not wanting to push the pinball into the chute. After removing the plexi top two screws hold the assembly in place. Found the screws that hold the launcher together were all loose. After tightening everything work fine.

23 (resized).jpg23 (resized).jpg
    24 (resized).jpg24 (resized).jpg
    25 (resized).jpg25 (resized).jpg

#24 7 years ago

Awesome Crash. I bought the Batman one mainly for a 7yr old my wife and I look after every few weeks on the weekend. I found I liked playing it. I made a few mods to make the ball stay in play just a little longer. Then I found the Harley version and it's pretty cool if I can fix the spinner motor. People have actually been able to sell the Harley one for $250 and $275 in good condition.

#25 7 years ago

Simple mods for better play. Using a Demel tool I cut the top corners from an AC transformer, like the ones you plug into the wall to charge electronics. I mounted one just above the spring bumpers on each side of the board. It deflects the ball into the bumper instead of rocketing down past it in fast play. I just used electrical tape as a temporary means to fasten until I find the right position. I'll use an epoxy when it's right.

26 (resized).jpg26 (resized).jpg
    27 (resized).jpg27 (resized).jpg

#26 7 years ago

I also experimented with the position on a light spring between the flippers. This does not stop the ball when it flies straight down from the ramp or is slammed down through by the spinner but it does a light deflection at other times when the ball might be heading at some angle toward the gap where the flippers wouldn't normally be able to make contact. When I get its position right I will drill down through the plexi to mount it.

28 (resized).jpg28 (resized).jpg

#28 7 years ago

Jeff, I've been to your site several times and it is an awesome collection. Last night I picked up a Spiderman version of one of these and it actually has the user manual with it. Will be nice know what the different bonuses are. I can hear the music change to sort of an alert at different times but don't know what it means.

#29 7 years ago

Trying to figure out now how to install LEDs to light up the spring bumper post.

030 (resized).jpg030 (resized).jpg

#30 7 years ago

As I said in the first post the spinner motor wouldn't move unless spun by hand. Then It might get a couple of slow revolutions and stop. But I was able to recondition it. After a little research the motor was disassembled, removing the magnets and re-strengthened by attaching rare earth magnets overnight. It's now working like new.

032 (resized).jpg032 (resized).jpg

#31 7 years ago

After reinstalling the motor assembly I cleaned the playfield then added an LED strip and the same gameplay mods as the Batman model.

033 (resized).jpg033 (resized).jpg

#32 7 years ago

FYI - Rare Saiter F1 Super Challenge Toy Pinball machine w/stand for sale on EBay. Not mine but thought I'd give a heads up on this. Shipping posted is a little high but seller states he will lower price to actual cost after closing.

ebay.com link: itm

Here is a video of one on Youtube:

F1 (resized).jpgF1 (resized).jpg

#34 7 years ago

Hi RyThom. I would think so. I've seen several versions of Batman, Hulk and Spiderman. I've also seen a Scooby Doo and Monopoly version so I don't doubt there was a Mario Bros at some point. The tell tale sign is the ramp in the upper left of the playfield which has a break off lane that drops the ball down into a circular structure back to the board. If I see a pic I will post it for you.

#35 7 years ago

Ok, so nobody bid on the Saitek and I won it. I was surprised at how much larger and taller it was than the Funrise models. All bumpers flash during play along with the circular pattern of lights near the flippers. There are more contact points and more individual sounds instead of just the "ding ding" with most of the targets in a Funrise model.

There are two spinning motors on this. Very surprised to find the company had included spare parts inside the cabinet. There were two replacement light bulbs and an entire motor assembly! What toy company does that nowadays?

Spares (resized).jpgSpares (resized).jpg

1 week later
    #36 7 years ago

Difference in size from a Funrise to a Saitek.

Compare (resized).jpgCompare (resized).jpg

#37 7 years ago

Currently looking for a Zizzle. Unfortunately nobody will ship.

1 week later
    #38 7 years ago

Added EL wire. Inverters are stuck to the inside of the machine under the playfield with foam tape.

F1 (resized).jpgF1 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider funriseguy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/older-toy-funrise-pinball-machines?tu=funriseguy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.