Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by kermit24
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

I just recently noticed that for all newer Stern pins (Ghostbusters, Star Wars, Deadpool, AC/DC, etc...) there is always a 5-7 second delay for drainage, such that you always get a BALL SAVED if your ball goes down too quickly.

In the case of the Austin Powers Stern machine I purchased last year (originally released in 2001), I see a lot of drains but no BALL SAVED, especially not at the beginning of a shot. Quite frustrating.

Is that because they simply didn't have Ball Saves back then (or used sparingly) or is this a SETTINGS issue I need to fix?

#2 5 years ago

these are settings typically but cant say for certain what the default is on those machines but you should be able to turn one on for varying amounts of time.

#3 5 years ago

Austin Powers definitely has a ball save, the one here on location has it on. Probably just a setting you need to change. As far as I know pretty much every machine since the 90s has had the option in some form

#4 5 years ago

I can;t think of a fully updated modern Stern that doesn't have a ball save. I know at least RBION didn't have one in earlier code versions so make sure to check if your running current.
    I always chalked this up to a Lawlor thing though so i have no idea if it happened in other games.

#5 5 years ago

I can't think of any WPC games that does not have a ball save, other than Funhouse. Bride of Pinbot? Williams system 11 games do not.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I can't think of any WPC games that does not have a ball save, other than Funhouse. Bride of Pinbot? Williams system 11 games do not.

Gilligan's maybe? I've heard that T2 was the first..

#7 5 years ago

Addams Family....... Or at least I can't find it.

#8 5 years ago

Lawlor games...TZ's default is it NOT on I think? I think it was only added in home roms?
    TAF

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Addams Family....... Or at least I can't find it.

I've definitely played an Addams with a ball save. Not sure what rom or setting though.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

I've definitely played an Addams with a ball save. Not sure what rom or setting though.

It's not in any setting for TAF with the latest updated rom set. Might be a home rom thing. Anyone have a link for the home roms?

Quoted from TheLaw:

Lawlor games...TZ's default is it NOT on I think? I think it was only added in home roms?
    TAF

On TZ it's kind of hidden under a funny name but there is one. Default is off.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

On TZ it's kind of hidden under a funny name but there is one. Default is off.

I never even heard of it till I had the home rom so I had never checked before.

#12 5 years ago

Funhouse has a ball save. It only happens if you don't score any points between launch and drain as far as I'm aware.

"Hey Buddy! You can have it back!"

#13 5 years ago

double post.

#14 5 years ago

Ball save on Funhouse isn't a true "timed" ball save. It's a 3 switch or less and you get the ball back. Just a step up from the "0-point" ball save on most older games. F14 also had a little ball save from a kickout but that was it.
    First game to have a real timed ball save was T2.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from BeeGeeMtl:

I just recently noticed that for all newer Stern pins (Ghostbusters, Star Wars, Deadpool, AC/DC, etc...) there is always a 5-7 second delay for drainage, such that you always get a BALL SAVED if your ball goes down too quickly.
    In the case of the Austin Powers Stern machine I purchased last year (originally released in 2001), I see a lot of drains but no BALL SAVED, especially not at the beginning of a shot. Quite frustrating.
    Is that because they simply didn't have Ball Saves back then (or used sparingly) or is this a SETTINGS issue I need to fix?

The adjustment is called "freeze time" on TSPP. Is it like that on all older Sterns?

#16 5 years ago

I think F-14 was the first game to have a ball-save feature...

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

Funhouse has a ball save. It only happens if you don't score any points between launch and drain as far as I'm aware.

That is true for any game, including EM pins.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from Spitfiren8:

I think F-14 was the first game to have a ball-save feature...

F-14 wasn't a true timed ball save. It only had a ball save for the Jagov kicker.
    T2 is credited as first game with timed ball save.

#19 5 years ago

On older Stern games the name of the ball save was "Ball Freeze" in the settings. So LOTR has one, but it was a bit tougher to find. I assume the name was the same on older ones too.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

F-14 wasn't a true timed ball save. It only had a ball save for the Jagov kicker.

Tru it wasnt time based but it was the first per IPDB: “F-14 was the first game with "Autosave", which meant the player could have the ball back if it drained prematurely [at the start of a ball], was shot down between the flippers by the Jagov Kicker, or drained during the onset of multiball, etc.”

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Fact: On the last ball if the player had a poor game, flight insurance was lit and gave the player a timed ball save. F-14 was the first game credited with a ball save.

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from tilted81:

On the last ball if the player had a poor game, flight insurance was lit and gave the player a timed ball save. F-14 was the first game credited with a ball save

I might be wrong but wasn't Flight insurance a point base ball save not a timed based ball save.
    And it was only on third ball. Neither the Jagov kicker or multiball ball save where a timed ball save.
    Those are all different variants of a type of ball save but T2 was the first game to use a timed base ball save for all balls played.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

I might be wrong but wasn't Flight insurance a point base ball save not a timed based ball save.
    And it was only on third ball. Neither the Jagov kicker or multiball ball save where a timed ball save.
    Those are all different variants of a type of ball save but T2 was the first game to use a timed base ball save for all balls played.

Per manual it lights on ball three if the average ball time previously was low enough.

Not sure if auto save is a separate thing somewhere...

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

A ball save is a ball save, It was the first time it had been introduced. Later Steve Ritchie improved on his concept by taking it a step further in T2. If we were having this conversation in 1987 there would be no confusion. It gives you another chance if you drain within an allotment of time

#25 5 years ago

I've never played an Addams with a ball save.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

I've never played an Addams with a ball save.

My wife wishes Addams had a ball save

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from BeeGeeMtl:

The default ball-save settings on some of the earlier Modern Sterns was to have no ball-save (TSPP, for one). As others have mentioned, it's a setting you can change, often called Ball Freeze on those.

#28 5 years ago

Sometimes my bsd needs a 5 min ball save....lol

#29 5 years ago

I found the BALL FREEZE option in the settings, so thanks for that, guys!

One more question for y'all: what is a good amount of time to put for the BALL SAVE. They give you the option of 1 to 15 seconds. I was thinking 10 seconds might be good? How much time is it on the new Stern machines?

#30 5 years ago

Good question...5 normal 7 long maybeish?

#31 5 years ago

My Stern Stars has a center post that sorta works as a ball save.

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from BeeGeeMtl:

I found the BALL FREEZE option in the settings, so thanks for that, guys!
    One more question for y'all: what is a good amount of time to put for the BALL SAVE. They give you the option of 1 to 15 seconds. I was thinking 10 seconds might be good? How much time is it on the new Stern machines?

\
    10-11 secs i'd say? Sometimes it may hit the pops then STDM and you don't have a hope.

#33 5 years ago

I have mine set to 7 seconds

#34 5 years ago

It’s your game do what you wish. But many will find that 10 seconds is an eternity in ball save terms.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/older-stern-machines-no-ball-save and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.