(Topic ID: 291076)

Older pinball players -- pinball in retirement community?

By Carmoney

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

24EA56D5-2AC1-4FCD-99E4-ED0AB084D9FD (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider carmoney.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

I was on the phone this evening with my dad (who is in his 70s and lives in a modest retirement community in Florida), and three separate times he mentioned that I should send one of my pinball machines down there to him. He also reminded me that he was a pretty good pinball player back in the day! He was kidding around, of course, but since that conversation I have begun to think seriously about buying him a machine.

The first problem is that he has no extra room at his place--but I was thinking maybe it could be placed at the community center, where all the members could enjoy playing it. (It's a co-op arrangement where the community property, building, pool, etc. are jointly owned by the members.)

Be honest with me--is this a good idea? Do most folks in their later years have the ability to still enjoy pinball? Or would eyesight issues and slowing reflexes just make it frustrating? I'm imagining all the old-timers having fun playing the machine, competing, and interacting with each other. But I'm afraid I might be projecting my own personal passion for pinball a little too far. Y'know, like a little kid who buys his parents a toy for Christmas that he really wants for himself!

Boredom is a huge problem for my dad. His physical capacities are somewhat limited, and it's not real easy for him to travel. I would really like to help him find some stuff to do that doesn't involve the TV and sitting around in his chair all the time.

I would like to hear what you Pinside guys think of this idea--and I would particularly like to hear from any older players who happen to notice this topic and have first-hand experience that is relevant.

Thanks!
    Mike

#14 3 years ago

Thanks for the comments. I agree that ongoing maintenance could be an issue. I could give him one of my machines that has been proven reliable, and I could train him on the basics of cleaning and maintenance. As a backup, I suspect that I could locate a pinball enthusiast in the area who might be willing to help take care of the machine.

So here's another idea I had.....what about a virtual pinball machine? It's not quite the real thing, but it would offer a variety of games in a smaller space, and would presumably avoid the physical maintenance issues that would accompany a real pin.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider carmoney.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/older-pinball-players-pinball-in-retirement-community-?tu=carmoney and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.