(Topic ID: 277892)

Older Alltek MPU nvram or add lithium coin cell

By RC_like_the_cola

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Alltek_HSTD.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RC_like_the_cola.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

Has anyone successfully updated this older version of the Alltek MPU with a CR2032 or a NVRAM instead of the remote AA holder it has?

https://web.archive.org/web/20170201151908/http://allteksystems.com/pdfs/Complete_Manual_Ver_J.pdf

Thanks, in advance.

RC

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Since U16 is already in an IC socket, it makes more sense to go with NVRAM. Being 24 pin and labeled with 6116, go with the new 6116 NVRAM. There is no benefit going with a coin cell battery, unless you like changing them as a normal 2 year maintenance. I prefer NVRAM.

I just have a bunch of CR2032 cells and I usually convert to that since it is much cheaper, but I have no problem going NVRAM on this Alltek. So, would any 2k x 8 NVRAM work, like a simtek or dallas? I have a few of those and if they will work, I can save a few bucks on ordering a new one. I have a NOS STK25C48 I think fits the bill.

Thanks for the suggestion.

#9 3 years ago

The simtek seems to be working, but it comes up with a HSTD of over 900K and I would like to clear that out. I'm not finding any exact info on how to do that. I did the Alltek Memory clear function and then set the game back to Bally Eight Ball, but still has that score. Thinking that means some sort of data is still saved in the NVRAM.

Thanks for any help.

RC

#10 3 years ago

I tried to manually beat that score to see if it would save that new score, but I ended up rolling in on accident.

#11 3 years ago

Figured out the reset procedure. It leaves the new ending score with a 4 at the end instead of a 0. Hmmm.

#12 3 years ago

Strike that, the 900K score is back now, but ends with a 4. 901504. Not sure how to clear this NVRAM of any corrupt data.

#13 3 years ago

Ordered a 6116 from Weebly. Gonna have to change the socket though, as it has that rigid circular machine pin type on it. Either that or piggyback a standard sip socket into it.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from slochar:

You went to adjustment 4 current hstd and hit s33 on the mpu board? That's your normal way of clearing the HSTD.

No. The manual didn't mention that or I didn't read it correctly. Wait, aren't there only 32 dips? I'm confused.

#18 3 years ago

Ah, yes I did do that. When I press the s3 button on the alltek, the displays go blank instead of showing 00. The game sits there in that state until you reboot and the change doesn't save.

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

Are you doing this when you're in book-keeping mode '04' at the High Score to Date setting?
    If you press that S3 clear switch during diagnostics, the game software will crash.

Yes. While the funky 901504 HSTD is showing on the displays and 04 is in the Ball in play/Match window area. Does the same if I do it when 01, 02, 03 are in the window. It is supposed to take the value to 00 so you can set what you want, correct?

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

What game are you running?

Bally Eight Ball 1977

Game works/plays fine. I'm sure it is some sort of data stuck in this Simtek NVRAM. It is the older Alltek with a AA battery holder and works fine when the original ram and batteries are in place.

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from slochar:

Try resetting other adjustments (1-3) and audits (5-11) - the nvram might be bad/not compatible with the board.

It blanks out every time. I have a 6116 on the way from Weebly. I may try to set the board up as Harlem or one of my other Bally's and see if it behaves the same with the simtek.

#25 3 years ago

Replacement NVRAM from weebly fixed this issue. $18 well spent.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RC_like_the_cola.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/older-alltek-mpu-add-lithium-coin-cell?tu=RC_like_the_cola and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.