4 months ago

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by arcademojo
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Alltek_HSTD.png

#1 4 months ago

Has anyone successfully updated this older version of the Alltek MPU with a CR2032 or a NVRAM instead of the remote AA holder it has?

https://web.archive.org/web/20170201151908/http://allteksystems.com/pdfs/Complete_Manual_Ver_J.pdf

Thanks, in advance.

RC

#2 4 months ago

Since U16 is already in an IC socket, it makes more sense to go with NVRAM. Being 24 pin and labeled with 6116, go with the new 6116 NVRAM. There is no benefit going with a coin cell battery, unless you like changing them as a normal 2 year maintenance. I prefer NVRAM.

#3 4 months ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Since U16 is already in an IC socket, it makes more sense to go with NVRAM. Being 24 pin and labeled with 6116, go with the new 6116 NVRAM. There is no benefit going with a coin cell battery, unless you like changing them as a normal 2 year maintenance. I prefer NVRAM.

I just have a bunch of CR2032 cells and I usually convert to that since it is much cheaper, but I have no problem going NVRAM on this Alltek. So, would any 2k x 8 NVRAM work, like a simtek or dallas? I have a few of those and if they will work, I can save a few bucks on ordering a new one. I have a NOS STK25C48 I think fits the bill.

Thanks for the suggestion.

#4 4 months ago

To me, it is not about what is cheapest. The new NVRAM has a 24 to 124 year retention rating on these things. I am more about preserving a game with NVRAM and removing the possibility of batteries being installed so that the games I work on for others and myself outlive me. I have installed over 250 already.

Trying to save $20 now by not putting NVRAM in now will be eaten up changing that coin cell battery every 2 years, which I think are about $2.50 each.

I am really only familiar with what Lock when Lit, Weebly and Pinitech sell.

You can try what you have and change free play to yes and see if it holds that setting without batteries. If it does, you should be golden.

#5 4 months ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Trying to save $20 now by not putting NVRAM in now will be eaten up changing that coin cell battery every 2 years, which I think are about $2.50 each.

Coin cell batteries are way less than $2.50 each if you buy them online.

But I agree with the nvram aspect - way better. Do it once and forget about it. Even older nvram that was advertised as having a 10 year life has been continuously upgraded by the manufacturer as they found it's much more than the 10 years. The old Ramtron 1608 modules are up to 39 years or so last I looked, and some of the more modern ones that weebly, etc sell are 99+ years.

#6 4 months ago

I find batteries more of a hassle than anything else now, even more than the rebuilding flippers in a game.

#7 4 months ago

I have found coin cell batteries leaking. Go with the NVRAM.

#8 4 months ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

I have found coin cell batteries leaking.

I have seen one.

#9 4 months ago

The simtek seems to be working, but it comes up with a HSTD of over 900K and I would like to clear that out. I'm not finding any exact info on how to do that. I did the Alltek Memory clear function and then set the game back to Bally Eight Ball, but still has that score. Thinking that means some sort of data is still saved in the NVRAM.

Thanks for any help.

RC

#10 4 months ago

I tried to manually beat that score to see if it would save that new score, but I ended up rolling in on accident.

#11 4 months ago

Figured out the reset procedure. It leaves the new ending score with a 4 at the end instead of a 0. Hmmm.

#12 4 months ago

Strike that, the 900K score is back now, but ends with a 4. 901504. Not sure how to clear this NVRAM of any corrupt data.

#13 4 months ago

Ordered a 6116 from Weebly. Gonna have to change the socket though, as it has that rigid circular machine pin type on it. Either that or piggyback a standard sip socket into it.

#14 4 months ago

You went to adjustment 4 current hstd and hit s33 on the mpu board? That's your normal way of clearing the HSTD.

#15 4 months ago
    Quoted from slochar:

You went to adjustment 4 current hstd and hit s33 on the mpu board? That's your normal way of clearing the HSTD.

No. The manual didn't mention that or I didn't read it correctly. Wait, aren't there only 32 dips? I'm confused.

#16 4 months ago

S33 is a momentary push button on the mpu board. That's what it's called on original bally mpu boards anyway no idea if it's labeled the same on Alltek.

#17 4 months ago

The instruction for resetting the score level awards and High Score to Date is in the Alltek manual. They've marked the switch as S3 instead of S33. It's the Clear switch on the middle right of the board.

Alltek_HSTD.png

#18 4 months ago

Ah, yes I did do that. When I press the s3 button on the alltek, the displays go blank instead of showing 00. The game sits there in that state until you reboot and the change doesn't save.

#19 4 months ago
    Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Ah, yes I did do that. When I press the s3 button on the alltek, the displays go blank instead of showing 00. The game sits there in that state until you reboot and the change doesn't save.

Are you doing this when you're in book-keeping mode '04' at the High Score to Date setting?
    If you press that S3 clear switch during diagnostics, the game software will crash.

#20 4 months ago
    Quoted from Quench:

Are you doing this when you're in book-keeping mode '04' at the High Score to Date setting?
    If you press that S3 clear switch during diagnostics, the game software will crash.

Yes. While the funky 901504 HSTD is showing on the displays and 04 is in the Ball in play/Match window area. Does the same if I do it when 01, 02, 03 are in the window. It is supposed to take the value to 00 so you can set what you want, correct?

#21 4 months ago

What game are you running?

#22 4 months ago
    Quoted from Quench:

What game are you running?

Bally Eight Ball 1977

Game works/plays fine. I'm sure it is some sort of data stuck in this Simtek NVRAM. It is the older Alltek with a AA battery holder and works fine when the original ram and batteries are in place.

#23 4 months ago

Try resetting other adjustments (1-3) and audits (5-11) - the nvram might be bad/not compatible with the board.

#24 4 months ago
    Quoted from slochar:

Try resetting other adjustments (1-3) and audits (5-11) - the nvram might be bad/not compatible with the board.

It blanks out every time. I have a 6116 on the way from Weebly. I may try to set the board up as Harlem or one of my other Bally's and see if it behaves the same with the simtek.

#25 3 months ago

Replacement NVRAM from weebly fixed this issue. $18 well spent.

#26 3 months ago

I need to do mine now also.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    € 4.20
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 20.00
    Lighting - Other
    Professor Pinball
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    ArcadeArts
    $ 38.75
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    £ 20.00
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 25.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 7,399.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 12.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    Playfield - Other
    Gameroom Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    € 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 125.00
    $ 839.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 11,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 39.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 2.00
    Various Other Swag
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 7.95
    Various Novelties
    PIC
    $ 81.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 26.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pinball Mod Co.
    € 197.00
    Displays
    PINBALLSP
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    € 8.50
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 12.50
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Gweem's Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside