Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by bluespin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Hey guys, I'm debating whether I should pull the trigger on a very rough Xenon that turns on. The seller is looking for 50 bucks, which seems like a no brainer to me. How much should I bank on having to fix if the machine plays properly, but aesthetically looks terrible. New to this forum and this site, so sorry if I posted in the wrong forum or didn't follow the rules. Any advice is much appreciated!

#2 6 years ago

By "turns on" I assume you mean, doesn't boot and won't start a game. How much work can you do yourself and how nice do you want it to be when you're done? Expect to need board work and/or replacement on several if not all boards. Not knowing more than what you posted, I'd say $500.

More info and/or pics will get you more accurate info.

Also, you did fine, for your first post. Welcome!

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from potatopierce:

Hey guys, I'm debating whether I should pull the trigger on a very rough Xenon that turns on. The seller is looking for 50 bucks,

Must have missed a Zero in there....

Where do I sign up to find $50 Xenons? LOL

#5 6 years ago

Buy it, its worth $50!

& welcome to Pinside!

#6 6 years ago

What they said.

#7 6 years ago

That's crazy, I wouldn't pay less than a $100 for it.

Welcome to Pinside!

#8 6 years ago

for $50 it would already be in the back of my truck and headed home.

There is a tone of help on this site that will help you get it going or take it off of your hands if you don't know what to do with it.

#10 6 years ago

New playfields are in the pipe from CPR, that'll run you about $800... not sure if they are doing or have done plastics, those will run you another $150ish. The tube on these are often shot you may need to replace that. Cabinet stencils another $150ish. Depending on the shape of the boards you may need to do some work there, you could pretty easily put $1,500 - $2,000 into it to make it look beautiful. As far as early 80's Bally's go it does have some desirability... behind titles like Fathom/Centaur/EBD but ahead of titles like SBM I'd say. $50 is obviously a complete no brainer, get it loaded in your vehicle stat!

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from potatopierce:

Hey guys, I'm debating whether I should pull the trigger on a very rough Xenon that turns on. The seller is looking for 50 bucks, which seems like a no brainer to me. How much should I bank on having to fix if the machine plays properly, but aesthetically looks terrible. New to this forum and this site, so sorry if I posted in the wrong forum or didn't follow the rules. Any advice is much appreciated!

"turns on"... "plays properly"

There is a huge distance between those two terms. The machine is worth $50, assuming you do not have to pay to get it home and pay to store it, and also pay to have it fixed.
If everything is there (cabinet, playfield, backbox, boards, backglass, power supply, coin door) and the game lights up but won't boot it's still probably worth $500. You could spend $2000 if you need new boards, new playfield, new backglass, new cabinet decals and can't do the work yourself. Still could sell it to someone and get your $50 back.
Condition is king! Water damage? Battery alkaline damage on the boards? Playfield worn to the wood and/or planking? Rust everywhere? All bad signs that will cost various amounts to fix.

#12 6 years ago

50 bucks is a steal. If the backglass is in decent shape you could atleast hang that on your wall

#13 6 years ago

Unless it’s actually on fire right now $50 is a steal.

#14 6 years ago

$50? BUY IT! I drove 10 hours last month to get a working one with a beat up playfield, nice BG and cabinet. I friend in Ohio just snagged one for $500 last week non-working with a nice playfield and BG. You can't lose. I'd be driving there now.

#15 6 years ago

As far as costs to fix it, if you're just interested in making it look nicer, plays and not a be show piece, it can be done for under a grand with skills you can learn on the go. That's assuming it's complete, cabinet that will hold legs and the wiring wasn't butchered. Xenon is great player, I've had one for 18 years. Just a got 2nd just for the cabinet.

#16 6 years ago

I drive 12 hours round trip to pick up a non-working Paragon where 90% of the art peeled off the backglass. That game was $100.

If you don’t buy this $50 Xenon it’ll be a huge mistake regardless of what condition it is in. Buy it and start an article on Pinside “Help me restore this $50 Xenon project.” A lot of people will help walk you through the restoration process even if you just want to get it up and running in player condition, not a full restore.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Cape Coral, FL
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jeffersonville, IN
$ 82.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/old-xenon-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.