Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Pinman2020
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20160907_114534 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20160907_112952 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20160907_112928 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20160907_114136 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).png
    #1 7 years ago

I just picked up an old Wico Pinball Lift with a single shock, a threaded cap at one end and a kind of wing nut at the opposite end. The top of the shock body unscrews and I'm working if I can just pour in hydraulic fluid to help when I lower the cabinet.

I've seen quite a few other threads that talk about GM Steering part as an acceptable replacement (not for this lift) and am wondering if this is a simple solution like I think it is.

Thanks in advance for the help!

#2 7 years ago

I just got one with a weak shock also. Waiting to see the responses.

#3 7 years ago

Contact a seller of pinball carts and ask if they have replacement shocks or the specs. It's just an inexpensive auto shock absorber. Here is a seller:

http://www.lakesidepinballparts.com/pinballdolly.html

If mine goes bad I plan on taking it to the auto parts store and get one that has the same mounting configuration and length.

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from marspinball:

Contact a seller of pinball carts and ask if they have replacement shocks or the specs. It's just an inexpensive auto shock absorber. Here is a seller:
    http://www.lakesidepinballparts.com/pinballdolly.html
    If mine goes bad I plan on taking it to the auto parts store and get one that has the same mounting configuration and length.

Man that site needs to get fixed. Can hardly read anything with the eyesore background.

#6 7 years ago

I went with the $30 steering stabilizer option at advance auto (I think it was Monroe brand, Google it)

After cutting/grinding the top end, I installed it...AND I still keep my foot on the lift bar as I drop a game. The shock alone still slams the game pretty good, but I can control it with my foot on the lift bar.

#7 7 years ago

I love the original Wico pinball cart dolly. But when i get one the shock is nearly always worn out. So are the wheels. So get new wheels and shock. I've had good luck with the Nappa auto parts store and GM steering stablilizer, part number SC2913, about $30. It's not a perfect replacement, as you need to use your weight to lift the cart. But on the release part, i don't need to guide it, has enough damp to let the game down nice. That said though, i did get a "bad" one once from Nappa where it was like pre-worn or something. Had to return it...

#8 7 years ago

Remember, Wico made two versions of their pinball cart.

The original version was painted Army green, had soft rubber tires, used a hydraulic piston (never tip the cart on it's side or you'll have a mess to clean up), and only had a "one step" release pedal. The hydraulic piston is refillable with hydraulic jack oil (common for automobile floor jacks) and it is rebuildable.

The second version was painted a light gray color, had hard plastic wheels, used an automobile gas filled shock absorber, and had a "two-step" pedal release. The first step on the release drops the machine just enough to clear a doorway and the second step drops the game all the way to the floor. The gas shock absorber is not repairable, you simply replace it. This version of the cart can be placed in any position and not worry about leaks.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from thebred:

I just picked up an old Wico Pinball Lift with a single shock, a threaded cap at one end and a kind of wing nut at the opposite end. The top of the shock body unscrews and I'm working if I can just pour in hydraulic fluid to help when I lower the cabinet.
    I've seen quite a few other threads that talk about GM Steering part as an acceptable replacement (not for this lift) and am wondering if this is a simple solution like I think it is.
    Thanks in advance for the help!

Pictures of your version of the cart would help.

#10 7 years ago

I've never seen the green wico cart, just the gray. But i have gray versions with only one step up. personally i like the two step thing. maybe better to say the "round top" or the "square top" version is better. The round edges on the top is the older version (one step). the right angle edges on the top is the newer wico version (two step). personally i like the later, but either is good.

2 weeks later
    #11 7 years ago

Here is my cart:

image (resized).pngimage (resized).png

#12 7 years ago

This was covered a few years back on RGP.

I tried posting links to them but they don't work. If you do a search for Gabriel Red Ryder on RGP five different threads will surface and discuss this at length.

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from MikeO:

This was covered a few years back on RGP.
    I tried posting links to them but they don't work. If you do a search for Gabriel Red Ryder on RGP five different threads will surface and discuss this at length.

Those were for Wico carts and required welding iirc.

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from thebred:

Those were for Wico carts and required welding iirc.

That is correct, they did require welding. It was worth the effort if you have the outlet to address it.

1 week later
    #15 7 years ago

Here is a few shots of the old type that I'm working to rebuild. This one will drip if tipped over. Just replaced the O-rings on the ram and fill the large cylinder with oil.

IMG_20160907_114136 (resized).jpgIMG_20160907_114136 (resized).jpg

IMG_20160907_112928 (resized).jpgIMG_20160907_112928 (resized).jpg

IMG_20160907_112952 (resized).jpgIMG_20160907_112952 (resized).jpg

IMG_20160907_114534 (resized).jpgIMG_20160907_114534 (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/old-wico-pinball-lift-shock-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.