Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by gradient9
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

I'm really looking at collecting gottlieb hulk, spiderman, and Atari Superman. I'm familiar with system 80, so I know what spiderman will be, but not familiar with the other two systems. I would like to hear opinions on the game play, and reliability of these specific machines. Unfortunately, Superman is my most wanted of the three, but I've read negative thoughts on reliability and getting parts. I know these are all slower games, but theyre all beautiful and I'm more interested in the retro collection feel. Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks

#2 3 years ago

Superman is a big one alright, and working on Atari I've heard & witnessed is not easy. Gameplay is a little lack luster...more for theme than play and it's just too much space for me to.

#3 3 years ago

I have both Spider Man & Hulk. They were my 1st 2 machines in the hobby. I was happy with them for years until I discovered DMD machines.
They were pretty reliable for awhile & I eventually switched to Pascal boards because Spider Man failed & I figured might as well do both. They don't get much play but I haven't been able to part with them. SM has awesome playfield artwork. Good games for their time.

#4 3 years ago

All desirable titles because of the themes, and thus, getting very hard to find for a reasonable price.

Superman parts are very difficult and expensive to find, and not too many folks know how to repair the boards.

On the other hand, many gottlieb parts are still available from PBResource, as long as they don't have artwork on them (spinner, plastics, backglass, etc)

#5 3 years ago

I never would have guessed how difficult it sounds to get Superman parts. I'm really hoping they do a new Superman pin someday soon. Sounds like the gottliebs would still be OK. What price range do you guys put each of these in?

#6 3 years ago

Depending on condition, and assumed to be working, prices can hover:
Superman: $1800-$2500 (a HUO/mint example went for about $3500 recently)
Spiderman: $600-$1200
Hulk: $600-$1200

#7 3 years ago

These are the only 3 machines in my collection and the only ones I really considered owning. I absolutely love the artwork and even though Superman is DC, the style of all three are very similar. Spiderman and Superman were both non-working and Hulk is in very good condition but have been giving me trouble lately.

As others have said, parts are fairly easy to find for Spiderman and Hulk, but harder for Superman. Superman/Atari parts just take greater patience and luck. I feel like right now there are tons of parts out there available for all 3 machines. (Hulk and Spiderman playfields for sale on Pinside, Superman backbox and boards on eBay).

Best of luck in your search!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
€ 8.40
2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Hadley, MA
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 25.00
Boards
German-Pinball-Modular
$ 495.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
MI Pinball Refinery
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Pro
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 18.99
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 11.95

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside