20180308_093047 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_E5779[1] (resized).JPG
525080C5-8C4F-4043-BE1F-CCDE8A63570E (resized).png
B9564706-1654-47FB-BD29-AE08916AF59B (resized).jpeg
20160814_080457 (resized).jpg
1 inch post (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I am restoring a 1948 United Serenade and now the plastic posts are all a bid yellow and not real white anymore. I want to replace these posts with new one's but after looking in several shops ( marco specialities , etc ) i cannot find the little 1" posts with the rounded top. The newer ones have only angled tops ( looks 45 degrees ) 1 inch post (resized).jpg1 inch post (resized).jpg

The ones i have in the Serenade are rounded at the top.

Does anybody knows were to find these round posts.

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from Klokkie:

I am restoring a 1948 United Serenade and now the plastic posts are all a bid yellow and not real white anymore. I want to replace these posts with new one's but after looking in several shops ( marco specialities , etc ) i cannot find the little 1" posts with the rounded top. The newer ones have only angled tops ( looks 45 degrees )
The ones i have in the Serenade are rounded at the top.
Does anybody knows were to find these round posts.

Some of us have stock scavenged off of games... dont believe anybody making new ones. try to clean up your old ones

#3 6 years ago

I guess that you have tried Pinball Resource?

I think you will find that these are obsolete now so you could try an advert on this site and on Mr Pinball.

Good luck in your search.

#4 6 years ago

Do a google for Retrobright. It’s a home made recipe and can whiten old plastics....could work for ya.

#5 6 years ago

Did a google for Retrobright and this is very interesting and absolut something to try, will do this. The ingredients are easy to find .

Will give an update on how it went and illustrate with photo´s the result.

Thanks for the help, pinside is great

#6 6 years ago

Has anyone tried Bleche-wite on plastics? Wonder if it'll work. It's readily available at any auto store.

#7 6 years ago

This worked form me.

The Solution? A Peroxide Sunbath.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/say-goodbye-to-old-yellowed-plastics

Here a before and after picture

20160814_080457 (resized).jpg20160814_080457 (resized).jpg

#8 6 years ago

Thank you all, great help.

The peroxide it is. Go to the store today a will give it a try.

Awsome.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from Klokkie:

Thank you all, great help.
The peroxide it is. Go to the store today a will give it a try.
Awsome.

Definitely curious...those older posts are a different composition than the ones ArgosySK linked to...I hope it works as well.

Please follow up! Not that I think you won't or anything...lol

Sean

#10 6 years ago

And dont try to boil the old posts... a buddy of mine found out the hard way

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from ArgosySK:

The posts were from a 1970 Bally Trail Drive.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from ArgosySK:

This worked form me.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/say-goodbye-to-old-yellowed-plastics
Here a before and after picture

Did check the pinside link and some answers and options are mentioned their to get the job done.

Awsome, in a rush to the store to get the stuff. Only in Holland the sun is a little problem so an UV lamp will the choice.

When i have some items done i will post the result

#13 6 years ago

Are these correct at PBR? If you are out of the USA shipping might be crazy but just to check

1 “Facetted Post
Fits over #6 Posts

Offered in:

Opaque White C11561W

http://www.pbresource.com/posts.html

B9564706-1654-47FB-BD29-AE08916AF59B (resized).jpegB9564706-1654-47FB-BD29-AE08916AF59B (resized).jpeg

If these are correct sizes, pinball.center in Germany carries some as well

525080C5-8C4F-4043-BE1F-CCDE8A63570E (resized).png525080C5-8C4F-4043-BE1F-CCDE8A63570E (resized).png

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Are these correct at PBR? If you are out of the USA shipping might be crazy but just to check
1 “Facetted Post
Fits over #6 Posts
Offered in:
Opaque White C11561W

those are correct...

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

1 “Facetted Post
Fits over #6 Posts
Offered in:
Opaque White C11561W

You see in the attached pciture added to the reply what posts i mean. The one from PBR are angeled and not round. That is the problem.

Bought today oxi and peroxide to clean the yellow off.

IMG_E5779[1] (resized).JPGIMG_E5779[1] (resized).JPG

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from Klokkie:

You see in the attached pciture added to the reply what posts i mean. The one from PBR are angeled and not round. That is the problem.
Bought today oxi and peroxide to clean the yellow off.

oh wow, I have never seen that type of post. Is there a part number you know of?

EDIT: Ahhhh it is a United brand.

#17 6 years ago

Yep, It is used in the 1948 Serenade build by United. I didn´t found them in any pinball shop so far. That´s why i want to clean them white again.

I was lucky today to find an original door lit, but without the coin slide, so that´s the next mission .

#18 6 years ago

I am happy to model up if you send me a sample and make available at shapeways for people to purchase off them directly.
Jady

See below, have done repro parts for other people as well
https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?q=Swinks&sort=newest

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

I am happy to model up if you send me a sample and make available at shapeways for people to purchase off them directly.
Jady

Hello Jady,

I do not have any spare, it is from my Serenade, i only can make a drawing for you so you have the shape.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from Klokkie:

Hello Jady,
I do not have any spare, it is from my Serenade, i only can make a drawing for you so you have the shape.

It would need to be a very accurate drawing, or send me a sample and I will return it to you, I added a link to my previous post so you can see what I have done

#21 6 years ago

Do a search on swinks genco as looks very close in design. Shapeways also just released a premium white which I haven’t opened that option yet

#22 6 years ago

I run a business and work with profesional CAD software so we are used to work with very accurate measurements . Let me make a drawing a see if you can use it. Is simpler to do i think.
What format do you like . DXF or any other

Did look at Genco and they look close to what i have , i have the idea the heads are bid more round on the originals

#23 6 years ago

DXF file is good, I can work with that

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

DXF file is good, I can work with that

Oke, will make a drawing in 3D. Also other formats are possible like STL or STEP, but DXF is also oke.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from Klokkie:

Oke, will make a drawing in 3D. Also other formats are possible like STL or STEP, but DXF is also oke.

if you can do STL you can then upload to Shapeways and don't really need me, BUT if you like help just send me the dxf

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from Klokkie:

You see in the attached pciture added to the reply what posts i mean.

They look like what's on my Bally Rocket III - part C-119-2

20180308_092636 (resized).jpg20180308_092636 (resized).jpg
20180308_093047 (resized).jpg20180308_093047 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from dontfeed:

Has anyone tried Bleche-wite on plastics? Wonder if it'll work. It's readily available at any auto store.

I have and it cleans well but doesn't whiten old plastics. I would NOT use it on screened (with artwork) plastics.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from astyy:

They look like what's on my Bally Rocket III - part C-119-2

Yeah that looks like the ones. Very similair.
Are these still available with that nr as reference

#29 6 years ago

John at Flippers lists that part #, but does not appear to have the proper rounded top from the picture:
https://www.flippers.com/catalog/product_info.php/post-p-3959

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from jeffc:

John at Flippers lists that part #, but does not appear to have the proper rounded top from the picture:
https://www.flippers.com/catalog/product_info.php/post-p-3959

Had a look but indeed they look more angeled then rounded. The number they used is also with a 5 extra at the end, so maybe a bit different but getting close

#31 6 years ago

The long and short posts changed (and part numbers) in the 1976 parts catalog to the ones for sale on flippers.com. If the rounded post featured in this thread (C-119-2) is indeed the Bally one, and unavailable, then modelling for 3D printing is a great idea as it must have featured on a lot of machines. Perhaps the curvier long post needs doing too (C-119-15) ?

Bally 1968 - 1973 Parts Catalog (Curvey posts!)

Bally 1976 Parts Catalog (Straight edge posts)

#32 6 years ago

The post is set up in the computer and now trying to get it in Shapeways. Post C-119-2 (resized).jpgPost C-119-2 (resized).jpg
Interesting to see if this will work.

#33 6 years ago

nice work and when uploading it will tell you if there are any thin sections which will fail

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

nice work and when uploading it will tell you if there are any thin sections which will fail

Yeah will do this tonight if i get to it. Busy at the business.

#35 6 years ago

There is a local wood rail for sale, early Bally, with these posts! Glad the community is doing this thank you!

#36 6 years ago

Applaud the effort If anyone starts producing these I would be in to buy some. Is there any interest in the matching tall posts?

Many thanks for supporting the pinball community!

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from BleacherBum:

Applaud the effort If anyone starts producing these I would be in to buy some. Is there any interest in the matching tall posts?
Many thanks for supporting the pinball community!

Never thought about it but why not, i am probably not the only one needing these.

For the longer ones i do not have a life example otherwise it would be no problem to make a technical drawing.

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from Klokkie:

Never thought about it but why not, i am probably not the only one needing these.
For the longer ones i do not have a life example otherwise it would be no problem to make a technical drawing.

Are you abandoning the attempts to clean these older posts? Totally up to you of course, but be aware the older posts in many examples have a swirl in the colors that is difficult to impossible to re-create. The swirl was created by early plastics production and was the only way they could make colored plastic parts like these. Once they perfected plastics formulation, many of the rounded edge posts were more solid colors, like you see in @astyy's post of his sixties game.

The OP's game is from 1948 and the posts used back then were definitely swirly. So if you're planning to mix and match, it may look funny, as well as if you replace them all, since everything else on the game will look older, and the new posts will stand out.

Not trying to tell anybody what to do...just want you to be aware...

Sean

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from Stoomer:

Are you abandoning the attempts to clean these older posts? Totally up to you of course, but be aware the older posts in many examples have a swirl in the colors that is difficult to impossible to re-create. The swirl was created by early plastics production and was the only way they could make colored plastic parts like these. Once they perfected plastics formulation, many of the rounded edge posts were more solid colors, like you see in astyy's post of his sixties game.
The OP's game is from 1948 and the posts used back then were definitely swirly. So if you're planning to mix and match, it may look funny, as well as if you replace them all, since everything else on the game will look older, and the new posts will stand out.
Not trying to tell anybody what to do...just want you to be aware...
Sean

Sean ,

No i am not, i do a test with some old lane guides and then will do the posts.

I find it just fun to do the new thing and it s easy to have a back up in case of.

Hans

#40 6 years ago

Hi Hans

make sure when you list on Shapeways - list as for sale and that you tag "pinball" in the search names so others can find in the growing library of parts there

https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?q=pinball&sort=newest

#41 6 years ago

Trying to upload the file but the size is a problem the STL size may not be more then 64 MB but the file i have is 92 MB.

I can reduce the size a bit but then i have the problem that the sides are not getting smooth.

Did an upload of a 24 MB file. Wondering to see how this looks.

#42 6 years ago

Oke, it looked that it all worked out. I have uploaded the file and the things needed for shapeways and see what is happening and if somebody can do something with it.

#43 6 years ago

checked it out, looks good and great to have a range of posts

maybe all the pinball people on Shapeways should put a search word like "pinball+post" to locate all the posts in one search

#44 6 years ago

Managed to get the post uploaded at Shapeways so that is solved.

The cleaning project Retrobright style is still in progress but we thought the Spring was starting in Holland (with some sun) unfortan the Winter is back with some snow and no sun.

#45 6 years ago

to help here is the link to Klokkie and some other posts, some of which are also hard to find

https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?q=pinballpost&sort=newest

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/old-style-plastic-posts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.