(Topic ID: 329924)

Old Sports Car or Old SS Pin - Which One Fails First?

By clodpole

3 days ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by tomdrum
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which breaks first - car or pin?”

• Car 9 votes
      60%
    • Pin 6 votes
      40%

(15 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

GrandpaFiat (resized).jpg
    20221119_195715 (resized).jpg
    2 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20221114_181139549 (resized).jpg

#1 3 days ago

Imagine you begin the week with a fully functional old sports car and equally functional early solid state pinball machine. How far into the week do you get before something goes wrong with one or both of them? That is, presuming you actually use them both.

#2 3 days ago

If both were restored correctly by competent people, I would not expect either to break down in the near term.

#3 3 days ago

Depends on the make of the car….
    American or german you’re prolly ok, british or italian id put my bet on the pin

#4 3 days ago

If anyone ought to know, it'd be you - if that Spitfire is yours. One of my cousins went to mechanic school at night in hopes of keeping her Sunbeam running.

#5 3 days ago

Good question...

PXL_20221114_181139549 (resized).jpg
    #6 3 days ago

Early solid-state pin: The problems and solutions are well documented, allowing one to build a reliable machine.

Early sports car: The problems are well documented.

Example:
    Q: Why do the British drink warm beer?
    A: Lucas refrigerators.

#7 2 days ago

No sooner than any other car or game, if restored properly........

2 (resized).jpg20221119_195715 (resized).jpg
    #8 2 days ago

I have a new-ish Fiat and a friend has several original Fiats. Quoting him: "Let's take two cars; that way we're more likely to get there".

#9 2 days ago

It's already established here that pinball machines are exactly like cars;

Therefore, two pinball machines of exactly the same age and exactly the same condition will fail at exactly the same time.

Pinballs are like cars.

#10 2 days ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

...two pinball machines of exactly the same age and exactly the same condition will fail at exactly the same time.

Most likely, at the least opportune moment.

Our club puts on a big pinball show in the Northwest, and the first games to go AWOL are always early solid states.

#11 2 days ago
    Quoted from clodpole:

If anyone ought to know, it'd be you - if that Spitfire is yours. One of my cousins went to mechanic school at night in hopes of keeping her Sunbeam running.

I had three Spitfires back in the 70's. They actually were all pretty reliable, EXCEPT when it was raining, or if you went through a puddle. Then, all the lights on the dash would light, the engine would die, and you were done for an hour or two. I finally got smart and carried a few cans of wire drier in the car. Once you drenched the wires and distributor with the wire drier, the car would start. Now Fiats....Don't get me started! To this day, I wouldn't have a Fiat if you GAVE me one!

#12 2 days ago

Both old and new Fiats made it to a show last summer:

GrandpaFiat (resized).jpg
    #13 2 days ago

Too many variables to even try to answer. IF the sports car and pin are both
    in good shape and not abused, they will last for *years*. Not days....

#14 2 days ago

Fiat- Fix it again Tony.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!