(Topic ID: 266974)

Pre DMD vs Post DMD. Which era did it better?

By IdahoRealtor

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by sunnRAT
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which era did it better? ”

• Pre DMD Era 25 votes
      47%
    • Post DMD Era 28 votes
      53%

(53 votes)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider humanoid.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from VanishingVision:

I think the best practical advantage LCD games have is bringing information out of the status report into a place the player can see it always, like the value of the power jackpot in Maiden.

This is a good point, however I don't think developers have fully grasped how best to implement this yet. Maiden is a good example of how to do it right, mind.

The opposite was DMD and even alpha-numeric's biggest advantage: the display is so simple, the developer is forced to spell out the goal to the player in large monochromatic letters/figures. This way, it only takes the player a quick glances to gather whatever information they need, be it score, progress, objectives, etc.
    While an LCD can certainly display more information and allow artists to create a great show for spectators—Maiden and BKSoR are great for this—I think some games can get carried away and display too much at once. I seem to have the most trouble with SW: none of the text in the game has any drop shadow, making most colours of text hard to read and blue/purple text almost impossible to read. I was hoping a code update would change this.
    Of course, any pin based on a movie just has to show tons of clips of the movie over information about the game, though DMDs did this, too. At least it looks as it should on an LCD.

I think DMD is better from a gameplay perspective, but as amusement machines, upgrading to LCD is a no-brainer. Developers are only going to get better at using them, too.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider humanoid.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/old-scool-vs-new-school-which-era-did-it-better-?tu=humanoid and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.