5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Arcade
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSCN1921.JPG
    IMG_0752.JPG
    austin-powers-mike-1.jpg
    Old School.jpeg
    P2081532.JPG

#1 5 years ago

My son was having a play date with his buddies it's funny to see what they all do when they come over and play. They always start to play on the Nintendo Wii but eventually they get bored and play the old EM pins! Surprisingly they play the EM's more than the solid states....especially the Pitch-n-bat!

Gotta love it! But I tell them, they have to go back and forth so my son doesn't get mad. Somehow, the pinballs has become "dad's thing" and the "Wii" is his thing! Someone find me a Solid State Skylanders pinball and we'll all be happy!

P2081532.JPG
    #2 5 years ago

Did you just sell that Bullfight?

#3 5 years ago

EM's are the best!
    Raw, clanky, bells, chimes, watching the score actually roll over, no tv screen on the backbox
    distracting you, no neon lights flashing, no creature grabbing the ball.

Just PURE pinball at it's finest.

#4 5 years ago

I have so many high school kids who come over here and say "why can't I play something like this up at the local burger joint." Where are all these now.?. I can tell you they love my small collection of EM's vs. Solid State. 300, Bow and Arrow, Night Rider and Wizard. Many years ago out of all of the games I had up which was like 16 with Scared Stiff, TZ, and top notch solid state I asked 1 question to a bunch of them.

Which game would you actually ride your bike, put a quarter in and play down at the local convenience store. You ready for this. ONLY

Wizard!....Yes believe it.

That is why I always say pinball has lost something and it is not more technology and toys. Much more basic human connection. The high school kids come over and play 300 all the time.

#5 5 years ago

When I was young say 1978-1986, 5 to 12 years old I had all the latest Solid State pins at my disposal. I had Eight Ball Deluxe, Gorgar, Haunted House, Black Knight etc. But where did I go? I went to neighbors houses to play Space Mission, Fast Draw and other EMs. To this day I have a deep love for EMs and always will.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheGMan:

EM's are the best!
    Raw, clanky, bells, chimes, watching the score actually roll over, no tv screen on the backbox
    distracting you, no neon lights flashing, no creature grabbing the ball.
    Just PURE pinball at it's finest.

Absolutely spot on!
    Given the choice, I will go play with an old girl any day.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

different unit

#8 5 years ago

Old School has always been better thanOld School.jpeg New School.

#9 5 years ago

Its the same old story. Most ems you play at a show or in the wild are set up so slow or not level, they are kind of an after thought. Now when you have games that are set right and looked after they are as much fun and intense as any new game. They also have a charm that DMDs don't have.

#10 5 years ago

Simple rules. Easy to learn. Quick ball times - never boring. Great artwork. Lots of girls on the backglasses.

Once you hear the sound of the knocker upon winning a replay (or free ball) you're hooked for life.........

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from hoov:

Simple rules. Easy to learn. Quick ball times - never boring. Great artwork. Lots of girls on the backglasses.
    Once you hear the sound of the knocker upon winning a replay (or free ball) you're hooked for life.........

Amen!

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

Yes...the one that was on ebay already sold and it wasn't mine. I did talk to the guy though....very nice and we laughed that only 800 of those were made and we have 2 (if not more) in Omaha. Please ignore the black ducktape in the front of the glass...HA! The glass is too long and waiting for another piece (only takes a 41.5 piece since the coin slots on top).

Anyway, the part of the solid state and EM story is the kid in the picture is my sons friend. He was telling me that he has some pinball at his house but he liked my baseball one better. I talked to the parents later and guess what game he has.....Adams Family! So my $300.00 pitchnbat (parts included), paid off!

But bottom line....grass is always greener....my kids get bored of their old toys too! Takes about one week!

#13 5 years ago

My 15 year old daughter will only put down her I-phone to play EMs now. Doesn't care much for the newer machines. Big Daddy is her favorite, as it is mine. Williams games from that era are special.

#14 5 years ago

A well-set-up EM rocks. It's more than just flashy lights and a twitch-fest. EMs can be darned difficult and challenging! Had my Mars Trek on location until some line-up changes and a score reel plunger broke. Hope to fix it and get it out there soon...

#15 5 years ago

My 3 kids are college age and only interested in video games.

But I am looking forward to playing my pins with any future grand kids... MuHaHa! MuHaHa!

austin-powers-mike-1.jpg

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from SteveFury:

My 3 kids are college age and only interested in video games.
    But I am looking forward to playing my pins with any future grand kids... MuHaHa! MuHaHa!

austin-powers-mike-1.jpg 22 KB

i wish you ONE MILLION PLAYS insert synical laugh here

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from jodini:

Surprisingly they play the EM's more than the solid states

Because solid state pins were just a stop gap between the two best types of pinballs.
    Sorry, had to take a quick jab at my least favorite types of pins. lol.
    Glad the kids had a great time.

#18 5 years ago

there's something to be said about pitch n bat. Myself as a kid when there were loads of early 80's arcade game to play, I found myself liking the pitch n bat. I guess it's the whole "hey, it's like a mini real baseball game".

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from Arcade:

Because solid state pins were just a stop gap between the two best types of pinballs.
    Sorry, had to take a quick jab at my least favorite types of pins. lol.
    Glad the kids had a great time.

You need to get a Gottlieb Genie, Joker Poker, Black Hole or Haunted House to change your mind on that call. Even an Eight Ball Deluxe.

#20 5 years ago

And keep in mind...when I was refering to "NEW SCHOOL" I was talking about Nintendo.....not solid state pinballs. So put away the guns boys!

#21 5 years ago

I have a bunch of early SS pins. That being said I am buying more EM machines these days. They are a blast to play, fun to work on, cheaper and have better art. I keep leaning toward Gottlieb wedges, love the card themes.

#22 5 years ago

Just poking a little fun at them.
    I like solid state pins, just not as much as EM's and modern.
    I used to own a Genie that was as mint as they come. Some lucky person has it now, but I can't remember who I sold it to anymore.
    I also have a Williams Hot Tip that is fresh off the assembly line as well. My family plays the hell out of it. Even have a brand new LED display controller board and displays coming for it. The old gas ones are getting weak.
    Little photo just for fun.

IMG_0752.JPG
    #23 5 years ago
    Quoted from JBK:

I have a bunch of early SS pins. That being said I am buying more EM machines these days. They are a blast to play, fun to work on, cheaper and have better art. I keep leaning toward Gottlieb wedges, love the card themes.

I consider cards and billiards the best pinball themes (Oh, and chicks)!

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from SteveFury:

I consider cards and billiards the best pinball themes (Oh, and chicks)!

Same here. But not necessarily in that order.
    DSCN1921.JPG

#25 5 years ago

Oldskool always beats Newskool

#26 5 years ago

i play my EM space odyssey as much as my SS IM. Really fun gameplay! Looking forward to playing more Em in the future...

#27 5 years ago

That Williams Hottip is one nice looking machine! Looks like it has a lot going on too! Gotta find a video....

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from jodini:

That Williams Hottip is one nice looking machine! Looks like it has a lot going on too! Gotta find a video....

Couple of decent vids here.
    First is PAPA 2012 I believe with the EM version of Hot Tip.
    Second is Gameroom collectibles, the people that got banned on pinside recently, but they have a decent gameplay video of the SS version of Hot Tip.

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from Arcade:

Second is Gameroom collectibles, the people that got banned on pinside recently, but they have a decent gameplay

Why did they get banned?

#30 5 years ago

One of the guys came on the boards talking trash talk. Basically being non constructive and trying to cause controversy.
    Then they posted a video on their site taking low shots at the moderator Blondetall.
    I like a lot of their vids, but it was really uncalled for.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 128.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 199.99
    $ 24.75
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 32.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 495.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 19.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 150.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 7,395.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 12.00
    Lighting - Led
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 9.95
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    $ 13.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside