(Topic ID: 320064)

Old Guys - What's Your Pinball Collection Exit Strategy?

By clodpole

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 91 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by djsoup
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Old Guys - What's Your Pinball Collection Exit Strategy?”

• Sell off all/most of my games. 46 votes
      41%
    • Donate them to _____. 8 votes
      7%
    • Die surrounded by my beloved machines. 52 votes
      47%
    • Other (what?). 5 votes
      5%

(Multiple choice - 111 votes by 108 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

park and orchard ted (resized).JPG
    Olivia (resized).jpg
    vf3 (resized).jpg
    TT.gif
    45652E94-2247-4EDC-8415-5BD6EFA97B58.gif
    There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 1 year ago
    Quoted from pindoc1:

At 61, I figure I have about 10 years before we start the inevitable downhill slide to a Patio Home-->Independent Living-->Assisted Living--->Nursing Home/Hospice. Hoping for at least another good 30 years before 6 feet under. With about 28 games in my basement, I am starting to consider culling the collection gradually, maybe adding a few depending on what new games come out. But in general, I realize that I would need to drop my collection to maybe 5 games before moving to a Patio Home. My kids have told me the 1 or 2 games that they would eventually want, but they are not in a position to place them in their home/apartment at this time.
    Basically, I want to be kind to my wife and kids and not leave them with a mess to sort out and sell if I become incapacitated or deceased. My parents did that to me with hoarding and trash (no pins), and it was not fun!

I noticed how much it dragged my dad down once he realized he couldn't keep up with the stuff he had to maintain. So, it's not only kind to your wife and kids, ultimately it's kind to you as well. Still, at 61, you've got 9 years before you hit my advanced age!

#52 1 year ago

Sell them while they are still of value and keep my Virtual. Do you really think this next generation of kids cares about pre LCD games?

#53 1 year ago
    Quoted from Viggin900:

Sell them while they are still of value and keep my Virtual. Do you really think this next generation of kids cares about pre LCD games?

It is up to the parents of these kids to get them to playing real machines and creating fond memories so that they DO care about them. I know mine will

#54 1 year ago

I want to be cremated on top of a pinball pyre

#55 1 year ago

I don't have a large collection, 4-5 pins at a time so it doesn’t leave too much work for whoever out lives me to sell them.

I think more about how the games I like to play will change as I get older and nudging and standing hurts more. I expect I’ll enjoy less punishing games with simplistic rules when that time comes.

I also think about what if I can’t lift a playfield anymore? Or my hands get too arthritic to handle nuts and bolts? I play almost every day, I get a lot of joy from playing. I’ll be sad when I can no longer play or I can play but can’t own a machine because I can’t lift a playfield anymore for even minor repairs. Hopefully I’ll have a nice neighbour who wants to play some free pinball in exchange for basic maintenance but who knows.

#57 1 year ago
    Quoted from Viggin900:

I can tell you, yes they do. My friends son who is mid 20s is borrowing my Big Ben which sits next to his BBH. Both in his living room. Later this month he’s picking up a BTTF.

#58 1 year ago

I'm 67, been collecting for 35 years and have a moderate size collection.
    This question hit home a month ago when I had a large brain tumor removed
    and the outcome was less than encouraging (but it ended up fine).

After a lot of thought, decided I'll never sell out before I croak. Just
    enjoy having and playing them so much. Told wifee to sell hobby stuff
    (far more than just pinball) slowly. Perhaps a couple a month.

#59 1 year ago
    Quoted from zarco:

This question hit home a month ago when I had a large brain tumor removed
    and the outcome was less than encouraging (but it ended up fine).

Glad to hear you're still with us - honestly!

#60 1 year ago

Well, I raised my kids to enjoy the non-digital world as much as the digital, if not more. I’m pretty sure that they listen to my shellac 78‘s more than they do to crApple Music, and they definitely play my pinball machines more than any of my PlayStations.
    I voted “die“, but I guess I should start unloading some. Where are those people with more money than sense, who will give me five times going prices?

I’ll be hard-pressed to ever let go of my TBL little achievers 007, though…

#61 1 year ago

I used to have 18 machines but am now down to 5 elite "survivors".

Eventually I will sell off all but one machine. It's my "Grail" pin.

My HUO EBD!!!

Everything else is expendable.

#62 1 year ago

Games are for me to enjoy…but when time comes, they are to pay for my son to go to Uni, or for large a deposit on a house. He is only 8yrs old now, so a few years left..

Don’t see how kids these days will get on the property ladder

I will keep 3 or 4..

#63 1 year ago

A Viking funeral, but have the boat made out of the wood from my games.

#64 1 year ago
    vf3 (resized).jpgvf3 (resized).jpg
    #65 1 year ago

I want to be stored before burial in Led Zeppelin that way when someone says it stinks it will be true for a change.

#66 1 year ago

If I go before my wife she has the contact info for our pinball friends. If she's financially stable, she'll probably give most of them away to the people that would enjoy them the most (they'll have to take care of packing and shipping though...).

#67 1 year ago

Excuse this momentary diversion, but for those of us over 70, R.I.P., Olivia...

Olivia (resized).jpgOlivia (resized).jpg
    #68 1 year ago

I will be carbon purified made into a diamond ball and used in TZ as a replacement ceramic ball.
    The fun never stops.

#69 1 year ago

Interesting post. Was actually pondering this very thing the last few years and thinking about selling some games. Have not been actively involved in pinball for the last 4 years.

#70 1 year ago

Schudel5: I’d be interested in the rest of the story. I’ve been told for years I was an idiot for lighting an Embryon up.

#71 1 year ago

I’ve made appropriate succession planning for my children.

Beyond that, I’m not worried about things I can’t control. I hope someone enjoys them or the money they bring.

#72 1 year ago

No kids and been selling off my large collection for almost 20 years! When anyone came by and made an offer on one of my pinball machines (usually 3 times what I paid) It was gone! (Funny, I've had 3 T2 machines and never paid more than $800 for any of them) Certain things I'm keeping, but most of it can go.
    Cheers!

park and orchard ted (resized).JPGpark and orchard ted (resized).JPG
    #73 1 year ago

My wife will keep playing them after I’m dead. Until she gets a ball stuck and then it’s over. Lol.

#74 1 year ago
    Quoted from PappaDubz:

I told my kids they each keep one
    But I have 7 kids and 3 pins
    So I better start buying more before I die

This cracked me up. I have one kid who's a handful, I can't imagine 7!

#75 1 year ago
    Quoted from pindoc1:

At 61, I figure I have about 10 years before we start the inevitable downhill slide to a Patio Home-->Independent Living-->Assisted Living--->Nursing Home/Hospice. Hoping for at least another good 30 years before 6 feet under. With about 28 games in my basement, I am starting to consider culling the collection gradually, maybe adding a few depending on what new games come out. But in general, I realize that I would need to drop my collection to maybe 5 games before moving to a Patio Home. My kids have told me the 1 or 2 games that they would eventually want, but they are not in a position to place them in their home/apartment at this time.
    Basically, I want to be kind to my wife and kids and not leave them with a mess to sort out and sell if I become incapacitated or deceased. My parents did that to me with hoarding and trash (no pins), and it was not fun!

Damn, my dad turns 70 on Friday, and while he's not losing the motor functions yet, I can see he's slowing down. He's finally getting to enjoy some time for himself, and golfing a LOT (which he loves). Even stopped buying cars every 2 months. Crazy to see. I hope he (and you!) hold out a lot longer than 71! I've just hit 43, and I still need to make a major motion picture.

#76 1 year ago

I only have 4 right now after a couple years in pinball ,but sign me up to get buried in a sarcophagus with the collection and a geometrically perfect pyramid erected over it .Then 1000s of years down the line someone will unearth it and think I’m a Alien

#77 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jeff1960:

I will be carbon purified made into a diamond ball and used in TZ as a replacement ceramic ball.
    The fun never stops.

This is hysterical. I’m totally telling my wife this is what I want to do, I’m going to stick with it like I’m serious as I can possibly be too. I’ll report back.

#78 1 year ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

I only have 4 right now after a couple years in pinball ,but sign me up to get buried in a sarcophagus with the collection and a geometrically perfect pyramid erected over it .Then 1000s of years down the line someone will unearth it and think I’m a Alien

Just remember to pull the batteries out before they seal up the tomb. Don't want future people to grumble about board damage

#79 1 year ago

Anybody taking down names here and searching obituaries in the future for sales ?

LTG : )

#80 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Anybody taking down names here and searching obituaries in the future for sales ?

You crack me up!

#81 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

This cracked me up. I have one kid who's a handful, I can't imagine 7!

same!

#82 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Best to build relationships in the old guy thread Lloyd.

#83 1 year ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Best to build relationships in the old guy thread Lloyd.

Well, with the ones older than me at least.

Hi older than me guys. I love you man.

#84 1 year ago

I think there is an elaborate plan to divvy up and save the collection for the family. What actually will happen is the games will mostly be sold off before your corpse is cold. No one cares what a dead guy thought once he's in the ground. It's all about the benjamins. The novelty will wear off before the reception leftovers hit the garbage.

#85 1 year ago

Interesting how even the survey is between "die with my machines" and "sell or give away before I die".

#86 1 year ago

I hope that 1 goes to my nephew..the rest of them the old lady can have to sell n get a breast job and bring those puppies up!

#87 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Well, with the ones older than me at least.
    Hi older than me guys. I love you man.

Hahaha!
    Lloyd have no problem gifting you a pin on my death bed because I know you would take care if it

#88 1 year ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Hahaha!
    Lloyd have no problem gifting you a pin on my death bed because I know you would take care if it

I sympathize - I've got so much sweat equity in my machines that I'd rather give them to someone who cares than sell them to someone who would let them fall apart.

#89 1 year ago

i'm actually liquidating some games in the near future, post divorce and just because I can't keep 25 games running. Well i COULD but i tend to just leave the broken one and play one of the other 24. Then the other 23, then 22, then before you know it you have 5 games that need attention.

Turned 58 this year, starting to look down the road at eventual downsizing, would like to whittle the collection down to 8 or 10.

#90 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

i'm actually liquidating some games in the near future, post divorce and just because I can't keep 25 games running. Well i COULD but i tend to just leave the broken one and play one of the other 24. Then the other 23, then 22, then before you know it you have 5 games that need attention.
    Turned 58 this year, starting to look down the road at eventual downsizing, would like to whittle the collection down to 8 or 10.

PM’s incoming!

#91 1 year ago

I bought 2 games from the same dude who told me he was downsizing to put towards buying a boat. Pretty cool. I said he can come play the games anytime, and he said I can come out for a boat ride. I really love this community.

There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/old-guys-what-s-your-pinball-collection-exit-strategy/page/2?hl=nhpolarbear and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.