Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 72 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7894 (resized).JPG
    67BC9A9A-D163-4DC0-A6B1-28A15D8002DE (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    image (resized).jpeg
    image-21 (resized).jpg

There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

I really like hitting switches to light pop bumpers for more points. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I just don't see this feature on modern pins. Rather, you do something to qualify super pops -- perhaps hit a mystery award or just hit the pops enough times. But, it's not the same as seeing pop bumpers that start off unlit light up for extra points. On my Special Force, the bumpers start off unlit for I believe 10 points, you then can qualify them one at a time to be lit for I believe 100 points. And, then you can qualify them again to blink for more points. And, qualifying them takes some work, as you have to hit a succession of switches.

Anyway, I was wondering what other older features aren't used that much anymore that would be cool to see again.

#3 5 years ago

Any features that were used on Zaccaria machines are worth seeing again:

Flippers in outlanes for ball save (e.g. Zaccaria Farfalla)

Timed upper playfield where you need to build up the time before shooting for it (e.g. Zaccaria Pinball Champ)

Special "See saw" to return ball from upper to lower playfield (e.g. Zaccaria Pinball Champ)

Special ramps sitting on top of drop targets (e.g. Zaccaria Devil Riders).

Bonus time (fourth ball running on a built up bonus timer) - most Zaccaria SS machines.

#4 5 years ago

Mushroom bumpers!

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

I really like hitting switches to light pop bumpers for more points. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I just don't see this feature on modern pins. Rather, you do something to qualify super pops -- perhaps hit a mystery award or just hit the pops enough times. But, it's not the same as seeing pop bumpers that start off unlit light up for extra points. On my Special Force, the bumpers start off unlit for I believe 10 points, you then can qualify them one at a time to be lit for I believe 100 points. And, then you can qualify them again to blink for more points. And, qualifying them takes some work, as you have to hit a succession of switches.
    Anyway, I was wondering what other older features aren't used that much anymore that would be cool to see again.

A saucer at the top of the playfield.

#7 5 years ago

Authentic Knockers. Big ones.

#8 5 years ago

Completing drop target banks for progressive payout at a saucer is cool

#9 5 years ago

my vote goes to spinners that can build in value like Stars, Seawitch, Nine Ball, etc and change their sound as they build.

#10 5 years ago

5cent coin slots!

#11 5 years ago

I forgot what EM game it was, but there were these spring loaded cards or tabs that would flip one direction or the other depending on other switches you'd hit in the game. I think the goal was to get them all oriented. I thought that was kind of cool.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from Allibaster:

I forgot what EM game it was, but there were these spring loaded cards...

Flip Flop?

#13 5 years ago

No, it had them on the right hand side. Maybe they were the same feature, though. I'm not familiar with Flip Flop.

EDIT: I think it was Wizard.
    https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2803

image-21 (resized).jpgimage-21 (resized).jpg

#14 5 years ago

Repairable boards

#15 5 years ago

Physical pop-up ball savers!

They look cool and add an additional element of skill to the game.

#16 5 years ago

Inline drop targets

#17 5 years ago

Those stand ups that would kick the ball back at you, like slingshots. TX Sextor has them, and I’m sure quite a few other games.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

Those stand ups that would kick the ball back at you, like slingshots. TX Sextor has them, and I’m sure quite a few other games.

The only thing late gotts had going for them!

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from NoQuarters:

Authentic Knockers. Big ones.

JJP has real knockers.

#20 5 years ago

subways

#21 5 years ago

More color, less black.

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from Allibaster:

No, it had them on the right hand side. Maybe they were the same feature, though. I'm not familiar with Flip Flop.
    EDIT: I think it was Wizard.
    https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2803
    [quoted image]

Flip flags take up a ton of PF real estate for something the display or a simple lit insert can tell you.

#23 5 years ago

A knob you push to lift the ball up to the shooter lane.

LTG : )

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

5cent coin slots!

Take forever to run 20 nickels in for one game.

LTG : )

#25 5 years ago

Flip Flop, Wizard!, and Slap Stick had flip flags. Took up a lot of space.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg
    #26 5 years ago

more on a playfield than on a screen.

..and a Susan B Anthony coin slot just to throw people off.

#27 5 years ago

Roto target

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Flip Flop, Wizard!, and Slap Stick had flip flags. Took up a lot of space. [quoted image]

Leafy

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

Those are indeed nice. Stargate has them, and some other games as well. Gives extra speed and action to games.

One thing that was really cool and nice as an interactive feature is the mist multiball mechanism. On one hand it would be stupid to use that again (I can hear the 'that should be a BSD-only feature!'), but on the other hand....it's cool, and very interactive and important in gameplay.
    Same goes for other good mechs, like DrWho 3 level playfield.

#30 5 years ago

JJP uses those as well.

#31 5 years ago

100% and what about vari targets? Plus a gobble hole for good measure.
    Animated back glass, soooo many

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

I thought they brought it back with Deadpools Shnnkt target. Wish it was the case. That target will be impossible for bank shots after a lot of plays.

#33 5 years ago

Make ramps more challenging, like High Speed that do not feed the flippers.

#34 5 years ago

Stacked Drop target banks like class of 1812,
    One way gates.
    And my favorite from Flip Flop, outlanes!

Cheap as hell, and can be modernized....

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #35 5 years ago

Gobble holes !

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

JJP has real knockers.

Not like the ones I'd like to see in a game.

#37 5 years ago

Physical ball locks.

#38 5 years ago

Bulbs that you can replace.

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from Scoot:

Bulbs that you can replace.

A thousand thumbs up! Id so like to mess with some games!

#40 5 years ago

Zipper flippers.

67BC9A9A-D163-4DC0-A6B1-28A15D8002DE (resized).jpeg67BC9A9A-D163-4DC0-A6B1-28A15D8002DE (resized).jpeg
    #41 5 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

More color, less black.

Could not AGREE more.

And how about that classic Williams timed pop-up between the flippers?

Also more drop targets.
    Best innovation EVER!

#42 5 years ago

User operated kick back.

#43 5 years ago

S-P-E-L-L-I-N-G
    S-T-U-F-F

#44 5 years ago

Let's see...

Coils on flipper buttons a la al's garage band goes on world tour.
    Translites with hidden symbols/messages a la mystery castle.
    Dual insert lights like on lost in space.
    Large upper playfields like black knight and pistol poker.
    Powerball/navi ball or better yet glo balls from vnd
    Everything being a cpu controlled light like capcom did.

#45 5 years ago

I like the Pinball 2000 image reflection effect to add virtual targets to shoot. I think one of the Ghostbusters versions might have a miniaturized similar effect. Strangely I also like a game that's score can be rolled back to zero. And finally, I like the chimes ringing as the end of ball bonus is awarded (e.g., in my Mata Hari).

-Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my replacement LED displays for model H and model S Skee Ball

#46 5 years ago

I really like the random shoot out pop up timed drop targets on Cactus Canyon maybe some more of that to

#47 5 years ago

I think a swinging target behind a bank of drop targets would be pretty sweet.

#48 5 years ago

Solid cabinets...

Center pop bumper between the flippers

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from chubtoad13:

S-P-E-L-L-I-N-G
    S-T-U-F-F

isn't that one still being used? eg. I-R-O-N-M-A-N, A-C-D-C, S-H-I-F-T (mustang), K-I-S-S A-R-M-Y, G-A-D-G-E-T (batman '66), F-O-R-C-E (star wars), D-E-A-D P-O-O-L

#50 5 years ago
    Quoted from bonzo442:

I really like the random shoot out pop up timed drop targets on Cactus Canyon maybe some more of that to

If we can go that new, I'd add targets that have some type of physical reaction. It's dumb, but that beer mug on Cactus Canyon or frogs on Scared Stiff flying add quite a lot of enjoyment for me. I'd rather see something like that then an animation on a display that I can't see while playing. I wonder if you could retrofit that switch onto other games. I think that would be a cool mod to add to most games.

There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/old-features-that-modern-pins-should-have and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.