11 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by jimjim66
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

Blue Chip, Teacher's Pet, Sing Along, Big Ben, Gaucho, Bon Voyage, Volley, etc..., are themes that would be ripped on today.

I can't imagine Gary having a designer meeting and asking Steve, John or George who wants to design the next theme based on the giant clock in London.

I can't see Steve saying, "If John gets to do a clock theme, I get to do Central Park!"

I realize that it was a different time, but some of those themes really just make me scratch my head as why they were created in the first place.

#2 11 years ago

Made in a time when there was multiple companies putting out tons of machines a year and these machines could be found everywhere . At one point in pinball history the companies were producing over 100,000 games in one year . Theme is much more important when there is currently one company making games and they put out 2 tittles a year .

#3 11 years ago

the same could be said about the auto industry looking back

"Yugo? Saturn? AMC? Ford making basically the same cars with some tail lights changed out and rebadge them as mercury? those cars really make me scratch my head"

#4 11 years ago

"Pinball" would never make it today without old people to spend money on it. Just kind of stating the obvious.

Now, going with other comments here, yes, I think about this all the time: I see a car on the street and I think who the heck took pride in designing that? Think of the Taurus with the OVAL windows and matching OVAL stereo system. OMG.

#5 11 years ago

Today, our "normal" stimulation level is so much higher than it was 40 years ago. The game play on most EM machines would be considered boring to non-pinheads.

#6 11 years ago

Some themes, sure. But here's some food for thought. We had a tournament a few months back and had a handful of machines on free play, including a Gottlieb Team One. I think this particular machine would fall in the category of machines you could rip on for artwork.

In addition to one older gentleman that came back a handful of times JUST to play that particular machine, there were two little girls about 10 years old that played it for well over an hour straight! There were a number of solid state machines, and of course a few basketball / video type machines nearby that they could have been spending time at, but they chose this particular game. I could see them switching back and forth between playing and watching, giving each other tips and pointing to where to shoot next. I really got a kick out of the fact that they were enjoying it so much.

End of the tournament, I go to break down the machine and find $10 worth of quarters in it! Yes, they found it fun enough to dump an entire roll of quarters into (even though it was set on freeplay). Maybe the theme isn't the best, but if you've got great gameplay then theme is easy to overlook. Better than an awesome theme that's a bore to play.

#7 11 years ago

There is no tension like having two drop targets left standing on a Gottlieb Hot Shot.

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from super8man:

"Pinball" would never make it today without old people to spend money on it. Just kind of stating the obvious.
    Now, going with other comments here, yes, I think about this all the time: I see a car on the street and I think who the heck took pride in designing that? Think of the Taurus with the OVAL windows and matching OVAL stereo system. OMG.

And here I thought they were Ellipses.

#9 11 years ago

I don't want people making inferences on what I was getting at. I was just trying to, in a humorous way, point out how much times have changed. Not making a commentary or judgement about the past

I'm sure that the themes today will be looked at differently 50 years from now.

Look at Genesis, Hollywood Heat, Raven, and Bad Girls from the 80's and you can see how pinball is a time capsule. Those themes would not be considered today either.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/old-em-titles-would-never-work-today- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.