• Latest reply 3 years ago by BBC
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
#1 3 years ago

Hi guys, sure would appreciate some help. I have an bally old Chicago. I have gone thru the score reels , steppers and bottom board, but still having a problem at start up. After the score reels reset to zero, the ball will kick out and the playfield is live. Problem is the outhole kicker continues to kick and the drop targets continue to try to reset, even though they are all up. Any help would be appreciated!!! Thanks.

#2 3 years ago

Is the score motor running during this? If so, one of the stacks has a switch out of alignment, I would wager. Have you checked schematics?

#3 3 years ago

I don’t have the schematics. I will take Another look at the score motor though. I did clean all the contacts on the score motor yesterday and thought I checked the gaps. Thanks for the info!

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from BBC:

I don’t have the schematics. I will take Another look at the score motor though. I did clean all the contacts on the score motor yesterday and thought I checked the gaps. Thanks for the info!

Schematics are on IPDB.org, so you can view a pdf from there. Those score motor switches are finicky for sure.

#5 3 years ago

Check your march assembly. I had this exact problem on Night Rider . One switch was stuck closed.

#6 3 years ago

Step 1: Check these relays to find out which one is keeping the score motor running. Once we know that we can look into why.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#7 3 years ago

Chad, match unit?

#8 3 years ago

Thank you Howard!!

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from BBC:

Chad, match unit?

In the back box, top middle. Has two small boards on it.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from BBC:

Chad, match unit?

Yes match unit.

#11 3 years ago

Bonus stepper, it doesn't step up properly or the contact stays closed.
The machine does not recognise the first bonus step, keeping steppin up and resetting.
Just my 2 cents...

#12 3 years ago

Thanks for all the ideas guys. I should have an hour today to look at all those. I’ll check back in later and give you the results

#13 3 years ago

Only had minute to look at this today, but seems to be related to the bonus unit. Does the game start with the o in old Chicago Lit? If I click the bonus unit it up one step during start up the game works fine. Thanks.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from BBC:

Only had minute to look at this today, but seems to be related to the bonus unit. Does the game start with the o in old Chicago Lit? If I click the bonus unit it up one step during start up the game works fine. Thanks.

Yes, at the beginning of a ball, the game should spot the "O", so you get at least 1000 bonus if you drain.

#15 3 years ago

Looks like that might be my problem then. When I move the stepper up to the O being lit, game plays fine. I guess the finger reel may need to be adjusted a little To start at the 0 position. I’ll try it tomorrow. Thanks.

#16 3 years ago

Here is where I am guys. I noticed that the bonus unit wasn’t stepping up during play. I do know the coil works because I was messing with the game over interlock and it stepped up several times, but I can’t get it to do it again. I have check the contacts in the interlock several times. Any ideas? Thanks again for the help so far.

#17 3 years ago

Is the outhole relay closing during the reset cycle? It should be... this is key for bonus unit to move to the "O" position...

because a NO switch (orange-green) on the Outhole relay, when closed, along with a NO 6D score motor switch when closed will fire the bonus step up solenoid one step to the "O" or 1st bonus position.

So does the bonus unit never pulse past it's starting position?

#18 3 years ago

Thanks dono. Yes , the out hole relay does activate. In fact, I activates over and over along with the drop target bank and the coil on the coin door.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from BBC:

Thanks dono. Yes , the out hole relay does activate. In fact, I activates over and over along with the drop target bank and the coil on the coin door.

OK, then definitely check the path from the orange-green outhole relay switch to the 6D score motor switch to the bonus step up solenoid... I use an alligator clip attached to both ends of a long wire to bypass things in the circuit to eliminate/pinpoint issues... you could clip one lead to the orange-green switch contact on the Outhole relay to the hot lead on the bonus step up solenoid...

Good luck, check back.

#20 3 years ago

Any progress?

#21 3 years ago

I won’t be able to get to it until monday or Tuesday. I will definitely keep you updated and appreciate your help

#22 3 years ago

Hi everyone, got it fixed today. As I was hooking up the jumpers dono suggested, the bonus stepped up at the end of the start up like it was supposed to. Turns out the step up coil had a bad solder connection, I resoldered and it works great. Thanks for everyone’s help!!!!

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from BBC:

Hi everyone, got it fixed today. As I was hooking up the jumpers dono suggested, the bonus stepped up at the end of the start up like it was supposed to. Turns out the step up coil had a bad solder connection, I resoldered and it works great. Thanks for everyone’s help!!!!

Awesome, glad you were able to solve your issue.

#24 3 years ago

Appreciate your help!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/old-chicago-start-up-problem- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.