View topic image gallery

IMG_20200829_225917 (resized).jpg
IMG_7611 (resized).png
IMG_7612 (resized).png
IMG_7613 (resized).png
IMG_7610 (resized).png
#1 3 years ago

Hello to all!

So I'm working on an Old Chicago that I believe the wiring of the player unit might be wrong (maybe)

IMG_7613 (resized).pngIMG_7613 (resized).png

Attached are the photos of my wiring, would you mind confirm if these are at the right position, please?

IMG_7610 (resized).pngIMG_7610 (resized).pngIMG_7611 (resized).pngIMG_7611 (resized).pngIMG_7612 (resized).pngIMG_7612 (resized).png

The problem I'm having is that I will start a one player game... score a few points, drain and the game will jump to player 2, drain, player 3 drain, player 4.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Best,

~ja

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from uncle_jose:

The problem I'm having is that I will start a one player game... score a few points, drain and the game will jump to player 2, drain, player 3 drain, player 4.

Would you say that the game plays correctly, but only as a 4 player game? If so have a look at the Coin Unit (described at https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-old-chicago-won-t-score-properly-for-2-4-players#post-5490952).

The Coin Unit is probably a step unit with four positions. It should reset at the start of a new game and take a step forward as extra players are added. If your Coin Unit is stuck in the last (4 player) position, or if the path for a 1 player game (shown in the other topic) doesn't complete the circuit you'd only be able to play 4 player games.

Also it looks like the wiper fingers in your photos don't land in the center of the contact pads below them. That could cause problems if the wipers contact two pads at the same time.

/Mark

#3 3 years ago

Thanks for your tip!

But i guess i was not clear.

i will *start a one player game... once the ball drains, the game will start to score on player 2 (ball one) and so on... the number of players on the back box will remain on number 1. The game will not “jump” into ball 2... if i manually move the ball unit to ball 5 and the fourth player drains... the game will not go on game over.

*start = i cannot start the game by pressing the start button, the only way i can start a game is by me triggering the first relay from the right row in the cabinet (the relays are not labeled). Sigh...

Thanks!

#4 3 years ago

What happens when player 4 ball 1 drains? Player 1 ball 2?

Either way, I'd suggest that you sort out why you can't start a game with the replay button first. You can't be sure you're getting a complete reset otherwise.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

What happens when player 4 ball 1 drains? Player 1 ball 2?

No, it remains on player 4, ball one.

Quoted from MarkG:

Either way, I'd suggest that you sort out why you can't start a game with the replay button first. You can't be sure you're getting a complete reset otherwise.

Agreed, i checked the (Bally) startup sequence from :

http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#check

and everything seems to check out, hence my original question about if the wiring is correct at the player unit (?) i’m the back box.

Thanks!

#6 3 years ago

The reset sequence is described in the game manual on IPDB.org. You should be able to start a game by stepping up the Replay/Credit Unit and pressing the Credit button. If not have a look at the Credit relay circuit (on the schematic also on IPDB).

Unless there are some signs of rework that I didn't see it seems pretty unlikely that there's a wiring issue on the player unit.

#7 3 years ago

Here is a picture of the player unit from my #old chicago.
IMG_20200829_225917 (resized).jpgIMG_20200829_225917 (resized).jpg
I don't think the wiring would be incorrect because it doesn't look like it has been reworked.

Here are some other ideas.
1. Is the ball index relay energizing after the first score for a ball? The behavior you describe doesn't sound like this is the issue, but I have to ask.
2. Is there a bad contact in the Jones plug from the mounting board to the upper cabinet? I spent a day chasing down a similar problem to find a corroded connection in the Jones plug want making a good contact.

1 month later
#8 3 years ago
Quoted from RDBowers:

Here is a picture of the player unit from my #old chicago.
[quoted image]

Thank you for the image... I did have a couple of wires on the wrong position, the photo was very helpful! Thank you very much!

~ja

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/old-chicago-player-unit-wiring and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.