• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0222 (resized).JPG
IMG_0221 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

Hi all - just purchased an Old Chicago, my 2nd EM. When I push the button to start, if I hit it again it won't advance the to player 2-4, just resets a one player game. Also the one player game starts on ball 2.

I think there may be an issue with the player select stepper in the backbox. Is the plastic gear supposed to be missing one tooth? Photo attached.

#2 7 years ago

Photos.

IMG_0221 (resized).JPGIMG_0221 (resized).JPG

IMG_0222 (resized).JPGIMG_0222 (resized).JPG

#3 7 years ago

Take the player stepper unit apart and clean it. Sounds like it is gummed up.

#4 7 years ago

the missing tooth may be there, or not there to keep the gear from overadvancing past the END location.
chk also the ball count unit ,if it has one.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from Dr_of_Style:

the missing tooth may be there, or not there to keep the gear from overadvancing past the END location.
chk also the ball count unit ,if it has one.

Ok thanks - Maybe the gear is installed incorrectly, because the missing tooth is in the 3rd position. I'll take it apart.

#6 7 years ago

VERY very little lube is needed, if any at all.

#7 7 years ago

Hi kermit24
I am late - You should FIRST inspect the Ball-Count-Unit - probably on the Bottom-panel in the Cabinet, next to "Coin-Unit" (?).
Unplug the 110VAC Power Cord (Safety reasons). Manually step on the Replay Unit (in the Backbox) - get the feel of stepping - move the coils - simulate "Coil is pulling"- step up and step down - it will always be ONE step - it is a Single-Reset-Stepper. THEN step on the Coin-Unit (how many players want to play in the next game), step on the Ball-Count Unit (what ball is in play), step on the Player-Unit (which of the participating player is playing) - You can step UP single steps --- BUT wroamm, bang - a HUGE step completely down - these Units are Total-Reset-Steppers.

I believe Your Ball-Count-Unit does NOT completely step down - compare it with the Coin-Unit and / or Player-Unit. Greetings Rolf

2 weeks later
#8 7 years ago

It is probably as Rolf says - Ball Count Unit problem. It should be taken apart and cleaned. While you're at it I would also do the player unit and coin unit.

I had this issue on my Old Chicago when I was bringing it back from the dead.

Hope you got it solved.

#9 7 years ago

The player unit and the coin unit are also suspect by your description also check those 2 steppers on the motor board.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/old-chicago-only-one-player-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.