You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7656 2 (resized).jpg
Old Chicago Credit relay (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Hello to all!

So, I will manually engage either of the coin switches at the coin door and I will hear the coin relay click, the score motor briefly spin and the drop target reset but no credits will be added to the credit wheel...

Now... If I manually add a handful of credits directly at the credit wheel and press the start button, nada... no game will start. -BUT- if I manually engage the credit relay a new game will start without taking a credit from the credit wheel.

as usual, any direction on what to check will be greatly appreciated!

Best,

~ja

#2 3 years ago

There are a bunch of switches that all need to be closed for the Credit relay to fire including the one behind the Credit button:
Old Chicago Credit relay (resized).jpgOld Chicago Credit relay (resized).jpg
All six switches working up from the bottom need to work, plus at least one of the four at the top. Check that all of the switches are clean and can conduct electricity using a bulb tester or meter.

/Mark

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

There are a bunch of switches that all need to be closed for the Credit relay to fire including the one behind the Credit button:
[quoted image]
All six switches working up from the bottom need to work, plus at least one of the four at the top. Check that all of the switches are clean and can conduct electricity using a bulb tester or meter.
/Mark

Thanks Mark!

Just to check, the switches that need to be checked are: 2nd. and 3rd. coin chute (relays?), 85-5 (which one is that?), reset (relay?), credit button and credit unit zero, (switches at the credit wheel) correct?

The top 4 are from the credit relay only, right?

I'm sorry for the questions for it's a bit hard to understand the chain of events. :/

Thanks again!

~ja

#4 3 years ago

The numbers in boxes and the abbreviations are all short hand for wire colors. There's a chart on the schematic that explains that.

From the bottom the switches are:
- 2nd and 3rd Coin Chute - presumably mounted under the coin chutes or coin mechs - should normally be closed
- Score Motor 1D (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sky-kings-power-free-play-and-top-hole-issue#post-4457680 shows how to find it)
- Reset relay - on the Reset relay - closed except during reset
- Credit Button - behind the Credit Button
- Credit Unit Zero - open if there are no credits - mounted on the Credit Unit

All six of these need to be closed for the Credit relay to fire. But in addition to these six, at least one of the next four must also be closed:

- Game Over relay - open if a game is being played
- Ball Count Unit Zero
- Coin Unit Limit
- Player Unit Zero

If in doubt use the wire colors on the schematic to help find the switches.

1 week later
#5 3 years ago

Thanks for the explanation Mark...! I'll give it a try!

Thanks!

~ja

#6 3 years ago

Mark,

I checked the switches per your suggestion, all of them are closed and no loose wires on them. Please see the photo below... this is where I am.

I will manually start a 1 person game by manually clicking the credit relay, once the ball drains, it jumps into player 2.. drains, jumps to player 3.. drains, jumps to player 4... drains... stuck in player 4 with unlimited balls after drain.

You can see by the photo that I started a 1 player game and when the photo was taken I was like ball 3 of the (stuck) player 4. Sigh...

Thanks!

~ja

IMG_7656 2 (resized).jpgIMG_7656 2 (resized).jpg
#7 3 years ago
Quoted from uncle_jose:

I checked the switches per your suggestion, all of them are closed and no loose wires on them.

Did you just check them visually or did you check them electrically? A closing switch won't work if the contacts are dirty or oxidized. A meter or a bulb tester would tell you if a switch is working properly.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from uncle_jose:

all of them are closed and no loose wires on them.

You also want to make sure they are wiping correctly. http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#clean

#9 3 years ago

Ball count unit not advancing
Check the wiper blade finger tension on the disc of the coin unit.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from uncle_jose:

Mark,
I checked the switches per your suggestion, all of them are closed and no loose wires on them. Please see the photo below... this is where I am.
I will manually start a 1 person game by manually clicking the credit relay, once the ball drains, it jumps into player 2.. drains, jumps to player 3.. drains, jumps to player 4... drains... stuck in player 4 with unlimited balls after drain.
You can see by the photo that I started a 1 player game and when the photo was taken I was like ball 3 of the (stuck) player 4. Sigh...
Thanks!
~ja[quoted image]

Frankly I see nothing wrong with this picture at all. But then my eyes never made it down to the scores. Ok. Yes I am a smartass.

2 weeks later
#11 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballdaveh:

Ball count unit not advancing
Check the wiper blade finger tension on the disc of the coin unit.

Got it this time! The spring was too tight, I replaced it for a more suitable tension and now works...! Thank you very much!

Best,

~ja

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/old-chicago-issue-with-credit-wheel?hl=currieddog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.