Old C game over (resized).JPG
Pinball (resized).png
Pinball (resized).png
Pinball (resized).png
DSC04900 (resized).JPG
Capture1 (resized).PNG
Capture (resized).PNG
#1 5 years ago

Im renovating this 1976 Bally. Fixed some scoring problems and broken Door switches and the game resets and plays 1 to 4 players etc. I noticed there are no feature lights on the play field .there are feature lights working on the back box, game over tilt etc. and good GE lights.The back box 00-90 unit does not seem to do much in game play. It was sticky and I have cleaned it and it works well manually. I dont know what it does but is there something I should check thats common to all the feature lights. This is a genuine fault that has been in the machine for a while then when everything else failed thats why it is been renovated now. Nice old machine but my experience is only with electronic pins from the mid 80s on.

#2 5 years ago

My backglass lights have been off for a while now. I did the usual reseating the plugs, fuses, etc. and then just let it be since I have other irons in the fire and the playfield lights are fine. One thing I noticed checking fuses is that the fuse holders in this game are pretty crummy and the tabs seem to break often. I think you might want to pull the plugs and check each pin for continuity. That's my plan when I get back to it.

#3 5 years ago

Contacts on the Game Over and Tilt Relays can cause this....

#4 5 years ago

As mentioned above, it is likely one of these fuses or its holder. Another possible if the fuses, etc. are ok is the Alternator relay make/break.

The 00-90 unit does match feature. There is a radio plug in the back box that has to be "in" for it to work.

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG

Capture1 (resized).PNGCapture1 (resized).PNG

#5 5 years ago

File alt relay switch

#6 5 years ago

Thanks ,and Mr Ballys prognosis Positive ! It was indeed the Game over relay .One set of normally open contacts were still open when engaged. All feature lights working.Still cleaning lots of switch contacts. The Stepper for Old Chicago lights is sticky. does not go past 2 but I will clean the assy and its getting closer the restore. Next on the list .We add credits and we get them and game resets and plays...but the credit count wheel does not count up??? it counts down the games and even counts up IF its a bonus extra game?? Does not affect game play now but would like to fix it anyway. (for the knowledge) and I bet someone knows.... Main reason machine would not start was a broken add credits (Coin Drop ) micro switch. it had 3 wires which I connected as on the old one.There was a spare Yellow wire just sitting there, It did not seem to have broken off the switch but it was associated with it? .Wires connected to Switch were
RED common
Yellow - Purple N/O
White N/C
strangely the second coin switch which has never been worked on or desoldered has the red wire N/C. Im not willing to mess with the wiring setup if I can help it. Thanks for the help. Great resource ..

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

As mentioned above, it is likely one of these fuses or its holder. Another possible if the fuses, etc. are ok is the Alternator relay make/break.
The 00-90 unit does match feature. There is a radio plug in the back box that has to be "in" for it to work.

Could not be the fuseholders as one controls ALL lights on the playfield and another controls MOST or ALL lights in the backbox. The OP said only the controlled lights were not working on the playfield.

#8 5 years ago

Well this is unfortunate . see photo. the teeth seem to be worn so the wheel advances to the second tooth then the space of next tooth seems is too big for it to get to the next so stays on number 2. Are these wheels still available or am I missing something?

DSC04900 (resized).JPGDSC04900 (resized).JPG

#9 5 years ago

This rotor is under the play field and lights the OLD CHICAGO tree of lights.
Unknown

1y 7k 28
Has anyone ever repaired these wheels? Im thinking turn it 180 * and remove the standoff pins and replace them with screws 180 * ? there seems to be a half of the wheel which never gets used. ?

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from Mervyn:

This rotor is under the play field and lights the OLD CHICAGO tree of lights.
Unknown
1y 7k 28
Has anyone ever repaired these wheels? Im thinking turn it 180 * and remove the standoff pins and replace them with screws 180 * ? there seems to be a half of the wheel which never gets used. ?

That is a viable option or build up the worn teeth with epoxy putty/JB Weld and file/Dremel the teeth to be like new.

That is if you can't find a replacement. They always come up at the shows with used part vendors. Have you tried Pinball Resource?

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from Mervyn:

Well this is unfortunate . see photo. the teeth seem to be worn so the wheel advances to the second tooth then the space of next tooth seems is too big for it to get to the next so stays on number 2. Are these wheels still available or am I missing something?

Which stepper unit is that? Commonly one tooth is missing to keep the stepper from advancing past its end position.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Which stepper unit is that? Commonly one tooth is missing to keep the stepper from advancing past its end position.

Yes thats true. This one lights 10 or so bulbs in a feature , the worn tooth is down at number 2 . Dont know if building it up with resin would last. The wheel is nylon I think .what would stick to that??

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Quoted from Mervyn:

Yes thats true. This one lights 10 or so bulbs in a feature , the worn tooth is down at number 2 . Dont know if building it up with resin would last. The wheel is nylon I think .what would stick to that??

OK lets try this again. From your picture what you call a "worn tooth" is probably not worn at all. Instead the "worn tooth" was probably made that way originally and somebody assembled the stepper unit wrong.

#15 5 years ago

You could have a point Howard.. At the right of the photo just past 3 o'clock on the wheel there is a missing tooth ,this sets the limit and when this is reached (manually, all 10 lamps are lit. Then the ball drains and it sequences back down but still gets snagged at tooth representing lamp 2 .That tooth in the photo is at about 29 minutes past. Its the only tooth that looks different from all the others. I think that has been a sticky point on the stepper unit for years and it worn it down, When we get past that section manually the sequence works fine. Now options to fix is what I need to think about over the weekend. Just finished a PF clean and rubber replacement .The pin is starting to look good. This fault needs to be fixed, Im not likely to find a replacement here in OZ. The States is my best hope. email sent to pinball resource.......

#16 5 years ago

So I was talking about the tooth at 1 and you were talking about the tooth at 2.

If your stepper uses less than half its rotation maybe you can modify it to use the other side of the plastic ratchet wheel.
It could be useful to find the part number and picture in the catalog
http://www.planetarypinball.com/reference/partsmanuals/BLY_Parts_1976/index.html

Otherwise try the usual suppliers like pbresource.com, marcos, etc.

Then search / post on parts for sale / wanted.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/forum/pinball-parts-for-sale
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/forum/pinball-parts-wanted

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png

#17 5 years ago

1 week later
#18 5 years ago

to wind up this thread. I turned the ratchet 180 .fitted 2 posts on the top and 1 underneath. Result perfect function. It was important to grind off the tooth at the end of travel .I think it was number 11 otherwise it would have kept advancing and damaged switches etc. good result. Pinball resource did not have the ratchet in stock

#19 5 years ago

Howard. the tooth at 2 is the one deliberately ground off so it cant go further than that. sometimes the game would not reset because this unit did not get back to zero even though all the score reels had set to zero. something to be aware of. and it caused me to definitely.... be-ware

4 months later
#20 5 years ago

Great Thread!!! This one really helped me work out some annoyances on my Old Chicago. Also, on my first pin, I had a partially melted gear on my 10s counter, I had a heck of a time locating one, so I did something similar...In my case, I needed one with all regular teeth, to spin through it’s full range with no elongated notch...I came up with switching out the one on the replay counter, and switching around the pegs to match...Since the play counter only needs 25 teeth at most...I was able to use the (cleaned up and sanded) melted gear.

5 months later
#21 5 years ago

I'm resurrecting this thread. I am helping a friend with an Old Chicago that he just acquired. The issue sounds similar: no playfield feature lamps are working. All GI (backbox and playfield) and the "feature" lamps in the backbox work (ball and player number, etc). On the playfield, we can get the Extra Ball lamp to light when an extra ball is earned. No other insert/feature lamps show anything on the playfield. Scoring, bonus, etc all seem to work correctly.

I replaced the fuse holders in the front of the machine (3 of them). The plug by the fuse holders had one pin that was discolored and I direct wired/soldered that to bypass the plug. I have reset the various plugs going to the playfield from the cabinet. As noted in Mr Bally's note - I checked the Game Over relay and tilt relay and it looks like the open/closed is correct (I will need to double check that, but I didn't notice any switches that remained open or closed when the solenoid was engaged.

One thing I noticed was on the score motor in the cabinet - see the picture. It looks like a couple switch stacks are blanks (no wires attached). Then, there are a number of wires that aren't attached to anything. The switch stacks look clean (not hacked - if somebody removed the wires, they did a nice, clean job of desoldering). Anybody with an Old Chicago - can you check your score motor switches and wires to see if it looks like the one in the picture?

He has the schematics - I am not very familiar with EMs. Any further suggestions/ideas? Thank you - Conrad

Update: feature lights are working now - the Game Over Relay contacts needed to be cleaned.

Old C score motor (resized).jpgOld C score motor (resized).jpgOld C game over (resized).JPGOld C game over (resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/old-chicago-bally-no-feature-lights and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.