Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Gorgar666
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

Both Flipperfinger are weak; what could be the cause?

#2 5 years ago
    Quoted from franz:

Both Flipperfinger are weak; what could be the cause?

Have you rebuilt them?

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from franz:

Both Flipperfinger are weak

Try this: disassemble and clean plungers and coil sleeves with 91# rubbing alcohol and swabs. Then sand plungers with 600 grit sandpaper. Put a spritz of powdered graphite in sleeves before re-assembling.

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from currieddog:

Try this: disassemble and clean plungers and coil sleeves with 91# rubbing alcohol and swabs. Then sand plungers with 600 grit sandpaper. Put a spritz of powdered graphite in sleeves before re-assembling.

I would skip the graphite, not needed and messy. Take your time, order and wait for parts- it will be worth the wait.
    Follow this guide-
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers

#5 5 years ago

More likely than your plungers being gunked up is the EOS switches opening too soon. Bally return springs aren't wound up like Gottlieb's were so that is not your issue.

It could be the plungers, but start at the EOS and work from there.

2 weeks later
    #6 5 years ago

Does a chime with 3 sounds by Williams also work in a pinball machine by Bally,for example inside "Old Chicago"?

#7 5 years ago

Old Chicago is 50 volts so you'd have to replace the solenoid coils if they would fit.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from HowardR:

Old Chicago is 50 volts so you'd have to replace the solenoid coils if they would fit.

I've actually used a Gottlieb (25V) chime box in a Bally EM and it works just fine, even though it seems like it shouldn't...

#9 5 years ago

Then it´s possible, that also works with a Williams chime box; but I think Williams is for 24V and it could be a problem with the solenoids....

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

I've actually used a Gottlieb (25V) chime box in a Bally EM and it works just fine, even though it seems like it shouldn't...

Yes, it works because the electrical pause is quick enough so the 50V doesn't do damage
    to the 25V coils. Unless a playfield switch gets stuck, it'd probably stay okay..
    To convert a 1 quarter per play to 2 quarters per play on a Bally Ball Bowler, I installed a 50V
    step up coil on a 110V circuit. It worked, but you could really hear that plunger bottoming out, so
    I spliced another empty 50V coil in the 50V step up's circuitry to act as a resister, and it cut it
    down to 75V, which will be fine because the pause to it is very quick..
    Not sure why Bally had to have a 110V coil for their Coin Relay, but it is..

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mopar:

Yes, it works because the electrical pause is quick enough so the 50V doesn't do damage
    to the 25V coils. Unless a playfield switch gets stuck, it'd probably stay okay..

I wasn't expecting damage, but if you put a 25V coil in a 50V pop bumper, your bumper is going to be noticably stronger. But the chimes aren't super loud, they sound the same as a regular gottlieb machine would...

#12 5 years ago

What can I do to make the chime box in my Bally Old Chicago quieter;
    the chime box is not an original Bally but by Williams; the 3 Solenoids which are working are originally from Bally "Zip A Doo" and should work with the proper voltage (50V)

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from franz:

What can I do to make the chime box in my Bally Old Chicago quieter;
    the chime box is not an original Bally but by Williams; the 3 Solenoids which are working are originally from Bally "Zip A Doo" and should work with the proper voltage (50V)

Can you post the part number of the coils just to confirm? Have you rebuilt the Chimes? (new pads, etc)

#14 5 years ago

The solenoids which I had built in the chime box have the number: two with A-25-1000 and one with A-25-1050;I know they are not the originally for the chime;
    the originally Solenoids are CC-31-2000,but I don´t have this one; I had given new pads.

#15 5 years ago

It looks from the coil charts like those are about 10 ohms? Is that correct? I couldn't find the 31-2000 in the chart but I measured mine and it's 50 ohms

#16 5 years ago

I measured the coils;two have 7,5 ohms and one 11 ohms
    What does "2000" on the coil mean? does it stand for the winding number?

Could I install a resistor in front of the coils?
    The Coils designated "CC-31-2000" are read from the part list of Old Chicago for chime

#17 5 years ago

I suppose a 40 ohm resistor would probably work.... Would probably need to have a lot of watts

1 month later
    #18 5 years ago

Converted my OLd Chicago to DC flippers. III feelll tha powerrrr!!!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/old-chicago-?hl=howardr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.