(Topic ID: 130055)

Old Beat Continental Cafe Woodrail Restoration??

By tengle93

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 64 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by ZNET
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3538 (resized).JPG
IMG_3537 (resized).JPG
IMG_3536 (resized).JPG
IMG_2889 (resized).JPG
IMG_2888 (resized).JPG
IMG_2887 (resized).JPG
IMG_2886 (resized).JPG
IMG_2883 (resized).jpg
IMG_2871 (resized).JPG
IMG_2873 (resized).JPG
IMG_2872 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpeg
IMG_2538-432.JPG
IMG_2540.JPG
IMG_2539.JPG
IMG_2544.JPG
There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

So I just picked up this BEAT and I mean BEAT Continental Cafe for $50. Girl who sold it to me said it was in her arcade owning family since it was new and she just didn't have the time or interest to fix it up, but it had sentimental value to her. Used to reside on the boardwalk in Wildwood NJ was the story (looks like it resided outside under a porch too, mildew stink!!). I almost passed on it, but I was looking for something to "try" my restoration skills on before trying them on other games. I bought it, so here I am. Playfield is OK, not terrible but back glass is real bad. About 1/2 is missing. Some water stains, mouse droppings, rust, and the cabinet paint sucks too. BEAT all around. The only thing is the inside looks pretty good and not too hacked up.

Before you tell me to turn it into a Whoe Nellie machine, I thought I would see if anyone had a real nice photo (high res) of a good condition backglass. Something I could use to Photoshop and possibly make a new one. They don't sell them and personally not looking to spend a lot on a machine that will never be good, but could be OK and fun to play. I took a 22MP photo of what I have. Was playing around with some decent photos from the internet, but they are just not high enough quality.

May be looking for some parts too, especially the playfield plastics which were REALLY beat, melted in fact. Does anyone have any high res scans of these?

Figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

#2 8 years ago

Time to make an EM "Whoa Nellie Big Juicy Melons" out of it seeing it's so beat. Now there's a project!

Ken

#3 8 years ago

Oh man - that was being sold less than a mile from me. I couldnt bring myself to even go look in person, it looked way too far gone. But for $50 and something to do......people have restored way worse. Good luck

#4 8 years ago

I was going to get it but dana changed the price from 50 to 500 then lowered it to 150. I passed because I was going to do the whoa Nellie but came to find out the parts to do it are not available. I would of taken it at 50 just for the parts.
good luck on the restro

#5 8 years ago

Let's see some pictures!

#6 8 years ago

Can you post some pics of the game? I too was thinking of getting it but those craiglist pics looked bad!! Looked like it was sitting out on a porch for a long time. Like Boilerman said they started changing their asking price & I lost interest.
Good luck

#7 8 years ago

Considering a few guys have already changed theirs to the Whoa Nellie conversion, you'd think there would be plenty of spare parts kicking around.

#8 8 years ago

The price changed from $50 to $500 when I called too, then it was $100 when I said she was nuts. I was told this pin would be worth thousands and thousands of dollars once it was fixed up.

I Believe this is the table that was used for WNBJM, but I could be wrong. Glad you got it for $50.

https://pinside.com/pinball/archive/whoa-nellie-big-juicy-melons/stories/home-grown-big-juicy-melons-in-the-garden-state-letting-the-reins-go-free-on-nellie

Yep, 1957 CC was used as the donor pin. I'd make a woah nellie out of it.

#9 8 years ago

they only made a few Nellie PF I think they sold out in a few days. the plastics were also made but sold in a kit with the pf and bg. they too sold out of the few that were made.
I thought I could use the stern remake parts but they are not the same so they couldn't be used on the em version. so I am guessing that a remake would be near impossible to do.
the only thing that could be had is the backglass from pinball life. I thought it would make a great winter project but I am glad I did a little research before I dropped more than the 50 I was going to spend.
the cabinet looked really bad 3 tops, and the backglass was a 4 at best really couldn't see the pf in the picks but I am guessing it couldn't be more than a 6. my guess is the inside parts have rust issues too.
if tengle93 could post some picks we all could see what the true condition is

#10 8 years ago

I have a Whoa Nellie playfield and backglass. I'd be interested in either selling these or purchasing this machine to do a conversion. The playfield and backglass were $1000 and I would let them go for that.

#11 8 years ago

Pinballmike217 wish I would of known......I would of bought those for 1k
to late now

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from tengle93:

Before you tell me to turn it into a Whoe Nellie machine, I thought I would see if anyone had a real nice photo (high res) of a good condition backglass.

Try contacting Raphael Lankar at the Paris Pinball Museum. He had his assistant take an awesome high resolution picture of the Melody Lane backglass for me. Just be sure to thank him, and not his assistant, directly or else he will get quite cross with you.

http://www.pinball-gallery.com/

#13 8 years ago

Sorry guys, busy at work. Here are some picts of the beater. Thoughts?IMG_2538.JPGIMG_2538.JPGIMG_2539.JPGIMG_2539.JPGIMG_2540.JPGIMG_2540.JPGIMG_2541.JPGIMG_2541.JPGIMG_2542.JPGIMG_2542.JPGIMG_2543.JPGIMG_2543.JPGIMG_2544.JPGIMG_2544.JPGIMG_2537.JPGIMG_2537.JPGIMG_2535.JPGIMG_2535.JPGIMG_2545.JPGIMG_2545.JPGIMG_2545.JPGIMG_2545.JPGIMG_2535.JPGIMG_2535.JPG

Yea, just bringing something back from the dead is worth the $50 and what I learn along the way. I can't believe she wanted $500 for that POS. She said it was working a few months back but that was a bunch of BS. Getting there with the general cleanup with the help of my 8 year old daughter, deciding what to touch up on the playfield and then probably a clear coat. Any suggestions on what works the best?

IMG_2538.JPGIMG_2538.JPG
#14 8 years ago

Joe, thanks for the idea to contact the Paris Pinball Museum. Can't hurt to try.

Will get the backglass photo, had to do that at work with a nice 22MP camera. Photo is not on my computer. Believe me, there's really not much to see. Probably 1/2 of it flaked off, most likely while being stored on the screened porch the last few winters.

Dana, the girl selling it, tried to tell me that it was worth thousands. I chuckled at that.

#15 8 years ago

What were they making the plastics out of on this game? The ones on IPDB look just as melty.

#16 8 years ago

I'm assuming maybe the sun got to it a bit? Maybe not, you may be right, 50s plastics were not very good.

#17 8 years ago

that is quite toasty for sure. it can be saved no doubt just depends how much time and $$$ your willing to put into it.

#18 8 years ago

What's it look like inside the cabinet?

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinballmike217:

What's it look like inside the cabinet?

Much better than the outside. Will get a photo and post later.

#20 8 years ago

The playfield has some planking, but nothing serious. It's not warped. That's the most important thing. How good are you at fabricating and photoshop? That'll be what determines how much it costs to fix those plastics. Is the machine complete? What shape is the transformer in?

That machine is actually in better cosmeic shape than the Cowpoke I bought a while back and brought back from the dead (done to see how far gone is too far gone on a machine). My machine had vines growing through it, but the playfield plastics were intact, the playfield was not warped and I had access to an extra BG. Either way for $50.00, even if the game is shot to hell, you can part it out and make more than you bought the machine for. I don't pass on machines when they are that cheap unless they're just a gutted shell.

I'm probably in the minority, but I love gobble hole era woodrails.

#21 8 years ago

A cheap machine is invaluable for NLA parts. I buy as many as I can.

#22 8 years ago

I got some skills in Photoshop and trying some stuff on a large format printer. Can easily make the playfield plastics if I can get some hi-res scans of them. I really don't want to part this out. Not sure how good it will play, but want to find out.

Anyone have any ideas on playfield coating. When I cleaned and waxed a section it just seemed that there were too many cracks where the wax was stuck making white streaks, kind of weird. It doesn't look bad right after cleaning when wet, colors are mute but look real cool. That's why I'm thinking of repairing certain sections and then clear coating it.

#23 8 years ago

Raphael may be able to help with the plastics, too, if he has this particular machine. He seems to have most Gottlieb wood rails in his collection. He is usually eager to help if you e-mail him.

I'm glad you aren't going to part it out. It should be a good challenge and give a great deal of satisfaction once restored.

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from JoeNewberry:

Raphael may be able to help with the plastics, too, if he has this particular machine. He seems to have most Gottlieb wood rails in his collection. He is usually eager to help if you e-mail him.
I'm glad you aren't going to part it out. It should be a good challenge and give a great deal of satisfaction once restored.

He got back to me already, doesn't have one. But he gave me a lead to someone who does. Thanks Joe for your lead. Let you know if it pays off.

#25 8 years ago

Somehow I've accumulated a bunch of CC parts. Not sure what all I have and I may have a backglass and playfield. I'll check when I get back from the Denver show.

1 year later
#26 7 years ago

I know this is an old topic but I finally got to painting the cab on the beat Continental Cafe. Other machines happened as well as home repairs (boring). Anyway, I wasn't idle! I did a bunch of Photoshop work on the plastics and backglass, cleaned/fixed up the board, and color matched the cab colors. Stripped to bare wood and priming right now after fixing (glue and screws) cracks and gouges. Since it was so bad I couldn't save much of the "patina" that made it look old which my teenage daughter commented "made it look cool". I was resigned to sanding out all the scratches and filling which I did until I got to the last one on the top frame. In huge letters was gouged "Diane + Thomas J." It would take me a while to sand it down, but part of me thought twice about this and maybe keeping it.....thoughts? And before you reply just do what you want, I know that, just interested in reasons to sway my decision. Thanks in advance.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#27 7 years ago

I'd love to see that game when it's done. I don't think I've ever played one.

#28 7 years ago

From the pic you have shown this will be a rebirthed machine with a fresh new patina. IMO those names would look quite out of place.

3 weeks later
#29 7 years ago

I quite like the idea of keeping that "inscription," but I don't know where on the cabinet that would wind up. How prominent would it be?

#30 7 years ago

Right on the top of the machine, above the backglass top of the frame. Just finished painting the base coat of the cabinet and was just about to sand out the letters as I started to agree with wayner on getting rid of the letters as I think they will stick out too much. There is still a nice "Joe" scraped into the lockdown bar that will add to the rough history that this machine lived before I got it.

Was going to see if anyone who did a Whoa Nellie conversion has a better playfield or backglass that I can get my hands on for a reasonable cost or even free

#31 7 years ago

Well, I think that's an amazing spot to leave the "Diane + Thomas J." While playing will be completely out of view, but speaks to the history as you walk up, particularly if it's just an impression under a new layer of paint (not the first thing you notice). The "Joe" on the lockdown could serve as a similar but less obvious purpose if you really want to make a first impression of beautifully restored, pristine, and especially untouched pin.

1 month later
#32 7 years ago

UPDATE: Just finished painting the cabinet. Took awhile to figure out the best way to do it. Ended up making stencils, drew up the designs in AutoCAD and then laser cut them from sheets of chipboard. Worked well, little bit of overspray but not much different than the factory. Originally ended up using latex but the sprayer I used just didn't work well enough and it was a royal pain to clean up. Started looking online for more variety in paint colors and ended up using Montana Colors (MTN) 94 (graffiti paint!!!). Got a swatch book and was able to match the colors pretty well (comes in 174 colors!!, matte finish, different spray tips, they also have a glossy paint). The matte finish looks real nice on it, the paint is awesome. Has anyone else used them? Curious to know. Used spar varnish on the wood, in the process of putting back all the hardware, then putting the board back in.

Thanks for the people who gave some input into the carved in names. Ended up sanding the crap out of it and it was still there, so I left it. Can't really see it that much but it's there, which I think is pretty cool. Anyway, on to the playfield.....

IMG_2872 (resized).JPGIMG_2872 (resized).JPG

IMG_2873 (resized).JPGIMG_2873 (resized).JPG

IMG_2871 (resized).JPGIMG_2871 (resized).JPG

IMG_2883 (resized).jpgIMG_2883 (resized).jpg

IMG_2886 (resized).JPGIMG_2886 (resized).JPG

IMG_2887 (resized).JPGIMG_2887 (resized).JPG

IMG_2888 (resized).JPGIMG_2888 (resized).JPG

#34 7 years ago

The cream legs really go well with that color scheme. Nice!

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

The cream legs really go well with that color scheme. Nice!

Not really sure what the color "should" be for the legs as they were red when I got it. But I saw the picts online had cream legs, so I painted them; twice. Almond Rustoleum was the color.

#36 7 years ago

Here is the swatch book from Montana Colors. Going to try the Hardcore Paint which is glossy on my next pin paint, Domino. Again, anyone using them?

IMG_2889 (resized).JPGIMG_2889 (resized).JPG

#37 7 years ago

I have heard good things about that Montana paint.
All we have locally here in Oregon is Krylon & Rustolium -- as far as I can find.

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

I have heard good things about that Montana paint.
All we have locally here in Oregon is Krylon & Rustolium -- as far as I can find.

That's why I got the swatch book. Matched it up, ordered online, had it in a couple days. Killer paint. It dried so fast I was able to paint the sides, all three colors in 2 hours. That sold it for me.

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from tengle93:

That's why I got the swatch book. Matched it up, ordered online, had it in a couple days. Killer paint. It dried so fast I was able to paint the sides, all three colors in 2 hours. That sold it for me.

Sounds like a plan. I think for my next cab paint job I'm investing in an HVLP setup for the base coat, & maybe Montana rattle cans for the stencil part...

#40 7 years ago

I use Molotow rattle cans but it is a similar calibre of paint. No drips, runs or sags and dries fast. I am also looking forward to using laser cut stencils. I can access a laser cutter for free at my public library and cut all of the stencils for my current project in less than two hours.

1 year later
#41 6 years ago

Well figured I would update this old post covering my old beat Continental Cafe which was supposed to be a "learning machine". In the past year since I painted the cabinet I was able to get a beautiful playfield from ZNET (thanks again Bruce) then read a bunch of posts and pondered a bunch about restoring some worn sections and finishes. Ultimately I did some repairs, touch ups and clearcoated the playfield. Did a swap (first time doing it, thanks for those who posted experiences, that helped) then cleaned all the playfield parts. I did need to get a few new and old parts as a bunch were just melted beyond use from sitting in the sun on a screened in porch for who knows how long. I also painted the apron (more times than I wanted as the paint would "wrinkle" as it dried) then applied a decal from Pinball Rescue. Been working since Christmas on getting it up and running. Slowly it is returning to life.

IMG_3536 (resized).JPGIMG_3536 (resized).JPG

IMG_3537 (resized).JPGIMG_3537 (resized).JPG

IMG_3538 (resized).JPGIMG_3538 (resized).JPG

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from tengle93:

Well figured I would update this old post covering my old beat Continental Cafe which was supposed to be a "learning machine". In the past year since I painted the cabinet I was able to get a beautiful playfield from znet (thanks again Bruce) then read a bunch of posts and pondered a bunch about restoring some worn sections and finishes. Ultimately I did some repairs, touch ups and clearcoated the playfield. Did a swap (first time doing it, thanks for those who posted experiences, that helped) then cleaned all the playfield parts. I did need to get a few new and old parts as a bunch were just melted beyond use from sitting in the sun on a screened in porch for who knows how long. I also painted the apron (more times than I wanted as the paint would "wrinkle" as it dried) then applied a decal from Pinball Rescue. Been working since Christmas on getting it up and running. Slowly it is returning to life.

Wow! What a transformation!

Perhaps it's time to convert my Whoa Nellie back to a Continental Cafe. Just kidding. I still need to convert the dual player reels to single player.

#43 6 years ago

Nice work Todd. That's a very attractive game.

#44 6 years ago

Before & After, really awesome job!!

#45 6 years ago

What an amazing tansformation. It's absolutely beautiful. Did you send pictures of this to the seller?

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from chippe01:

What an amazing tansformation. It's absolutely beautiful. Did you send pictures of this to the seller?

Yeah, offer to sell it back to her for "thousands and thousands of dollars!"

#47 6 years ago

Kudos to you that is stunning! You did a fantastic job. I'm glad to see it didn't turn into a resto mod big juicy melons!

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from chippe01:

I should if I could find her email, she would complain that $50 sale was too cheap!

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Kudos to you that is stunning! You did a fantastic job. I'm glad to see it didn't turn into a resto mod big juicy melons!

Thanks, I agree. I was so new to pinball at the time I bought it I didn't even realize it was the donor game for WNBJM. It's a shame that it was used that way since it is a good looking game. At least they could have used an Atlas from that year, speaking of ugly (maybe that's just me).

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from tengle93:

Thanks, I agree. I was so new to pinball at the time I bought it I didn't even realize it was the donor game for WNBJM. It's a shame that it was used that way since it is a good looking game. At least they could have used an Atlas from that year, speaking of ugly (maybe that's just me).

Often wondered about that. What game specific components are needed to convert to a WNBJM? Seems to me you could use any game or at least any game of that particular vintage, no?

There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/old-beat-continental-cafe-woodrail-restoration and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.