625B6520-8377-4972-8018-7344BB80BB2F (resized).jpeg
4FBFC979-0FC9-49C7-AAFE-B08301EAAA39.jpeg
AC0E0A8A-44D1-4D11-B7FA-1AFF17FEA61D.jpeg
image (resized).jpg
D7965E2E-E0A6-404C-90A5-4CD28BE2C64A (resized).jpeg
7064064A-6A90-4B5C-9E4D-67928E1BE340 (resized).jpeg
20210418_224703 (resized).jpg
20210418_224709 (resized).jpg
There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 3 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

The Ryan isn’t too bad, I’d say a 5, Im interested in the Ryan, PSA has stopped taking cards for grading, sending shockwaves through card world

Seriously? I hadn't heard that!

#52 3 years ago
Quoted from jake35:

Seriously? I hadn't heard that!

PSA announced over the weekend that they are pausing their grading service indefinitely due to overwhelming demand. They can’t keep up.

#53 3 years ago

For anyone interested, I would consider trade ins of nice cards (graded/ungraded) for new in box machines. Mostly looking for nice Jordans, Kobe’s, Lebron rookie/early years, basketball rookies or first years, and football hall of famers rookies/first years.

#54 3 years ago

So what DO people do with large specific collections? I lived in San Diego and was a Padres fan. I know....... I have all but 13 cards from their inception in 69 through like 1985 as well as a lot later than that. Complete 75 tops mini set. 2 Dave Winfield rookies, lots of early Ozzie Smith etc. I know I could cherry pick the few respectable cards but that would make the rest useless.

Advice?

#55 3 years ago
Quoted from jake35:

The sportscard market has gone through the roof lately, but condition is king. A jeter sp RC is worth either 100 or 50k depending on grade. Which is silly because it depends on the grader and his mood and subjectiveness.

I have one of these I should post a pic on here and see what you guys think. I actually named my son Derek after him. My favorite player of all time.

#56 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I hope the Op, doesnt mind....Ive been considering selling some, or all of my cards.
I know the drill, but perhaps there might be a collector, reseller here, that would enjoy, and profit, and a rate that makes sense for both parties.
I know its a bit Tricky, but 2 good minds can make it happen.
Not a rush, not a fire sale, but know numbers can be reached....
[quoted image][quoted image]

That pile looks like someone's office that used to be in my life I don't wish to speak about, but his were all graded and neatly stacked. PM will be sent.

#57 3 years ago

I also have the Griffey Upper Deck card and a ton of his other rookie cards. So have all places stopped grading cards or just PSA or certain ones?

#58 3 years ago
Quoted from Deyanks98:

I also have the Griffey Upper Deck card and a ton of his other rookie cards. So have all places stopped grading cards or just PSA or certain ones?

Just PSA, Beckett is stil grading amongst others.

#59 3 years ago

I sold all my cards off when I went to college in 1990. Good timing because they crashed after. I was in it big time.

Don’t collect anymore, but do have a group of unopened wax boxes verified by BBCE (Baseball Card Exchange). BBCE is the PSA of wax boxes. You can buy them from them. And I always have some boxes with packs to rip in the game room if a former card enthusiast stops by, but don’t eat the gum!! I love these. Ripping packs and eating the gum outside the store I bought them from with my friends when I was young was the best.

BBCE verified unopened wax boxes have gone through the roof since the pandemic. 3-4 times the price compared to before. Now 84 Topps is around $450, 1985 $600, 1986 $125.

https://www.bbcexchange.com/

Who was complaining that pinball prices have gone up?

7064064A-6A90-4B5C-9E4D-67928E1BE340 (resized).jpeg7064064A-6A90-4B5C-9E4D-67928E1BE340 (resized).jpegD7965E2E-E0A6-404C-90A5-4CD28BE2C64A (resized).jpegD7965E2E-E0A6-404C-90A5-4CD28BE2C64A (resized).jpeg
#60 3 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

I sold all my cards off when I went to college in 1990. Good timing because they crashed after. I was in it big time.
Don’t collect anymore, but do have a group of unopened wax boxes verified by BBCE (Baseball Card Exchange). BBCE is the PSA of wax boxes. You can buy them from them. And I always have some boxes with packs to rip in the game room if a former card enthusiast stops by, but don’t eat the gum!! I love these. Ripping packs and eating the gum outside the store I bought them from with my friends when I was young was the best.
BBCE verified unopened wax boxes have gone through the roof since the pandemic. 3-4 times the price compared to before. Now 84 Topps is around $450, 1985 $600, 1986 $125.
https://www.bbcexchange.com/
Who was complaining that pinball prices have gone up? [quoted image][quoted image]

Most important question...

Is the gum still edible?

#61 3 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

For anyone interested, I would consider trade ins of nice cards (graded/ungraded) for new in box machines. Mostly looking for nice Jordans, Kobe’s, Lebron rookie/early years, basketball rookies or first years, and football hall of famers rookies/first years.

awww shit, what time should I be over?

#62 3 years ago

BBCE verified unopened wax boxes have gone through the roof since the pandemic.

The whole “verified” thing is pretty weird - open the box and baseball cards from that era are essentially worthless, but sealed up they’re worth $$. But if you happen to open one you can hire someone to put more plastic and a hologram around it and it’s worth money again!

Objectively I realize it’s not any weirder than assigning value to a piece of cardboard with a guy’s picture on it in the first place - I’m probably just getting old.

#63 3 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

The whole “verified” thing is pretty weird - open the box and baseball cards from that era are essentially worthless, but sealed up they’re worth $$. But if you happen to open one you can hire someone to put more plastic and a hologram around it and it’s worth money again!
Objectively I realize it’s not any weirder than assigning value to a piece of cardboard with a guy’s picture on it in the first place - I’m probably just getting old.

You can open the box you just can’t open the packs.

Yeah the main deal with verification of boxes and grading of cards is you don’t get in a buyer and seller back and forth feud over condition since most purchases now are online. And some folks want - the best!

Maybe look at things like this - Regular key cards in nice condition are worth money. Top graded cards of stars are worth more money and even top grades commons are valuable for set collectors. This is why folks like looking for fresh cards in packs.

Which leads to an older unopened wax box being worth money because folks have memories of ripping packs back in the day so they can keep the packs sealed in the box, open the packs for fun or open them to look for key cards and commons to grade. Verified boxes are worth more because a respected baseball card shop checks the packs to make sure they were not opened an resealed. Good to know before you lay out almost $10,000 for a 1980 topps wax box. A non verified 1980 box is still valuable but you are on your own with the purchase. And these were $.20 a pack/36 per box back in the day, so.......yeah.

Also with wax boxes a rarity happens because as they get opened the numbers of them go down. New cases of card finds are disappearing as value goes up and more and more enter the market - like Pinball - where the did warehouse finds go??

Even mass produced junk boxes with no key cards are gaining value as folks like to have some to open for fun.

Yeah sure it’s weird but if enough people do it it’s a thing until it’s not. Hope this helped.

#64 3 years ago

You can open the box you just can’t open the packs.
Yeah the main deal with verification of boxes and grading of cards is you don’t get in a buyer and seller back and forth feud over condition since most purchases now are online. And some folks want - the best!
Maybe look at things like this - Regular key cards in nice condition are worth money. Top graded cards of stars are worth more money and even top grades commons are valuable for set collectors. This is why folks like looking for fresh cards in packs.
Which leads to an older unopened wax box being worth money because folks have memories of ripping packs back in the day so they can keep the packs sealed in the box, open the packs for fun or open them to look for key cards and commons to grade. Verified boxes are worth more because a respected baseball card shop checks the packs to make sure they were not opened an resealed. Good to know before you lay out almost $10,000 for a 1980 topps wax box. A non verified 1980 box is still valuable but you are on your own with the purchase. And these were $.20 a pack/36 per box back in the day, so.......yeah.
Also with wax boxes a rarity happens because as they get opened the numbers of them go down. New cases of card finds are disappearing as value goes up and more and more enter the market - like Pinball - where the did warehouse finds go??
Even mass produced junk boxes with no key cards are gaining value as folks like to have some to open for fun.
Yeah sure it’s weird but if enough people do it it’s a thing until it’s not. Hope this helped.

I still have a bunch of unopened boxes. I sat on them once the market tanked and actually forgot I had them. I need to pull it all out but to be honest unboxing 2 skids of crap does not sound appealing to me.

#65 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

I still have a bunch of unopened boxes. I sat on them once the market tanked and actually forgot I had them. I need to pull it all out but to be honest unboxing 2 skids of crap does not sound appealing to me.

Unopened boxes = $$$. Don’t open even one pack out of a box and look value up first. Go on eBay and enter “BBCE” to get a value on verified boxes from Baseball Card Exchange.

I mean I think going over some of that stuff would be fun. Hope you and your family are doing well Woody!

#66 3 years ago

Unopened boxes = $$$. Don’t open even one pack out of a box and look value up first. Go on eBay and enter “BBCE” to get a value on verified boxes from Baseball Card Exchange.
I mean I think going over some of that stuff would be fun. Hope you and your family are doing well Woody!

I know I have 89 and 90 upper deck and fleer. They look to bring decent money.

#67 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

I know I have 89 and 90 upper deck and fleer. They look to bring decent money.

89 upper deck HUGE with Griffey. 89 fieer if it has the Ripken FF card. Lol

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#68 3 years ago

I just wanted to jump on the bandwagon here. Being from the St. Louis area, I have a ton of Mark McGwire cards from the 90s. I was also a Ken Griffey Jr. fan, so I have a ton of his stuff, too. I really have no interest in it anymore, but I’m too lazy to go through it to sell.

I’m sure this is my most valuable card. Any thoughts? I have no idea how grading works, I just looked everything up in Beckett back then.

4FBFC979-0FC9-49C7-AAFE-B08301EAAA39.jpeg4FBFC979-0FC9-49C7-AAFE-B08301EAAA39.jpegAC0E0A8A-44D1-4D11-B7FA-1AFF17FEA61D.jpegAC0E0A8A-44D1-4D11-B7FA-1AFF17FEA61D.jpeg

#69 3 years ago

These two have been in screw down cases for decades. I’d have to take them out to look at them a lot closer as the cases have some marks but almost positive not on the cards but they both to me look in very good to excellent condition. Though I’m not even sure I want to take them out to handle them.

625B6520-8377-4972-8018-7344BB80BB2F (resized).jpeg625B6520-8377-4972-8018-7344BB80BB2F (resized).jpeg7BF5D9CA-83EE-4CBE-81D5-D1E6810A872C (resized).jpeg7BF5D9CA-83EE-4CBE-81D5-D1E6810A872C (resized).jpeg
#70 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinbaltz:

I just wanted to jump on the bandwagon here. Being from the St. Louis area, I have a ton of Mark McGwire cards from the 90s. I was also a Ken Griffey Jr. fan, so I have a ton of his stuff, too. I really have no interest in it anymore, but I’m too lazy to go through it to sell.
I’m sure this is my most valuable card. Any thoughts? I have no idea how grading works, I just looked everything up in Beckett back then.

Same here I have tons of cards all in albums like Griffey and all in perfect condition but not sure how to go about this.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#71 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinbaltz:

I have no idea how grading works

Look over Ebay pictures of graded cards for an idea.

They check color and the print, clean and sharp ? Front and back - centered top, bottom, left, right. Stains on card ? Wear on edges ? Trimmed to hide wear on edge or corner.

The difference between a PSA 9 or 10 can be a lot.

I had some cards graded around 2000, damn few got a PSA 9, no 10's.

The rarer the card, the higher the grade, can be a big difference in what it will actually sell for.

LTG : )

#72 3 years ago

So you're tellin me that Cheater Jeter has a rookie card that's worth something?

*BARF*

#73 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinbaltz:

I would say $700-$1000ish on the 55 Mantle, but that’s just a quick glance at it. Off centered and the corners look good but once the case comes off you can get a better look.

A ton of Mantle collectors out there.

#74 3 years ago

Double post

#75 3 years ago

I would say $700-$1000ish on the 55 Mantle, but that’s just a quick glance at it. Off centered and the corners look good but once the case comes off you can get a better look.
A ton of Mantle collectors out there.

Cool, thanks for the feedback.

#76 3 years ago

I got a couple cards graded many years ago. Centered images, crisp edges, no stains...neither got better than 8ish as I recall. Made me feel like grading was kind of a scam.

#77 2 years ago

The problem with grading is you can have two professional graders from the same company grade the same card and give you two different grades Why? It’s all the persons personal opinion ....And you know what they say about opinions, there just like an a** hole everyone has one!
I would like to see a computer grade a card where you scan the card and it gives you a grade on it. However, the information that’s put in the server is still by a person and there opinions should once again effect the outcome.......

2 months later
#78 2 years ago

I've been sitting on these for over 30 years, found them when I was a kid in a board game I got at a yard sale called "The Baseball Card Trading Game." I bought them because everyone told me "Baseball cards will be worth a fortune some day" out of the thousands of cards I bought over the years as a kid I only ended up with a handful of cards that were worth anything. These being the best.

I would love to sell one.

~Jeff

20210719_090803 (resized).jpg20210719_090803 (resized).jpg20210719_090831 (resized).jpg20210719_090831 (resized).jpg
There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/old-baseball-cards-/page/2?hl=purdue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.