625B6520-8377-4972-8018-7344BB80BB2F (resized).jpeg
4FBFC979-0FC9-49C7-AAFE-B08301EAAA39.jpeg
AC0E0A8A-44D1-4D11-B7FA-1AFF17FEA61D.jpeg
image (resized).jpg
D7965E2E-E0A6-404C-90A5-4CD28BE2C64A (resized).jpeg
7064064A-6A90-4B5C-9E4D-67928E1BE340 (resized).jpeg
20210418_224703 (resized).jpg
20210418_224709 (resized).jpg
There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

Hi All

Have four baseball cards that I think may have some value. Anyone know where I can get an honest valuation?

Many thanks,

George...

#2 3 years ago

Completed auctions on Ebay that sold would be a start.

Any amount of value, having them professionally graded helps too.

LTG : )

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

Have four baseball cards that I think may have some value.

What cards are they and what is the condition of the cards?

#4 3 years ago

How about if I just take a few pics and post them. Will that be helpful?

#5 3 years ago

Id like to see them, I collect baseball cards. Might be able to help.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

How about if I just take a few pics and post them. Will that be helpful?

Yes.

Then you'll know if they are worth getting the graded or not. If in really great shape, can be a big difference in price.

Well entered, good print, no wear, etc. etc.

#7 3 years ago

The whole card market has changed in that cards have to be graded to get proper grade prices. It takes a VERY long time to get your cards graded and returned in the mail. It's also expensive. You can check out PSA and BGS websites, those are the preferred card grading companies I believe.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

It's also expensive.

For the generic average card that you think might have value. Probably not worth having it graded.

#9 3 years ago

I think at least one of these may well be worth it

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#10 3 years ago

If they were PSA graded they'd be worth alot more

#11 3 years ago

Grades will be 4 at best unfortunately. Those are rough.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from jake35:

The corners and edges are rough. Don't spend the money on grading them.

#13 3 years ago

The Ryan rookie will get a you few hundred for sure.. but I don’t think any Will grade high enuff to make it worth it. IMO

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from jake35:

Might not be worth grading. Not centered. Some of corners and edges have wear. Gum stains. Etc.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

Hi All
Have four baseball cards that I think may have some value. Anyone know where I can get an honest valuation?
Many thanks,
George...

I remember using the Becket Book. Not sure if that’s still around

#16 3 years ago

I bet that Ryan Rookie is worth about $700 (I believe near mint are in the 3-4K range).

The others, not so much.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I bet that Ryan Rookie is worth about $700

Closer to $500. That might be worth getting it professionally graded.

#18 3 years ago

Do NOT get those cards graded. A poorly graded card is worth less than an ungraded card. The Ryan rookie is a great card but yours is not going to grade better than a 6. Unless you have an 8 or better you don’t want to grade them. Post them on eBay or take them to a local shop.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Closer to $500. That might be worth getting it professionally graded.

You’re probably right.

#20 3 years ago

Does the spelling error make a diff?

error (resized).JPGerror (resized).JPG

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

[quoted image]

It could if that’s an uncommon error for that card (but I just found another image and the error is there)

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

You'd have to research it. If every card has it, no.

#23 3 years ago

Thank you all. Back in the fireproof safe with ‘em. For that amount of money I’ll just keep em! Thank you all

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from jake35:

The Ryan isn’t too bad, I’d say a 5, Im interested in the Ryan, PSA has stopped taking cards for grading, sending shockwaves through card world

#25 3 years ago

I have complete Topps sets from '87 and a few years up. Also, some older cars. Unless you have high end old cards the market dropped a long time ago.

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

I have complete Topps sets from '87 and a few years up. Also, some older cars. Unless you have high end old cards the market dropped a long time ago.

Or Chrome refractor autos, those are worth a few bucks, just sold a Voit /5 auto for $400, pulled it from a $20 target box, I love baseball cards

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

The Ryan isn’t too bad, I’d say a 5,

Front picture isn't centered. Corners are tough. And gum stain on the back. No way as high as a 5.

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Front picture isn't centered. Corners are tough. And gum stain on the back. No way as high as a 5.

After 2nd look, I’d agree, but I’d still love to own that card, one of the few cards I’ve never owned

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

Or Chrome refractor autos, those are worth a few bucks, just sold a Voit /5 auto for $400, pulled it from a $20 target box, I love baseball cards

That sounds like a flip nut super conductor ghosted, which would have been double.

#30 3 years ago

Just thinking out loud. I suppose if I hold them they will only gain in value????

For the small amount I could get I am asking why sell? Oh well, again thank you all fir the great conversation. I am grateful

#31 3 years ago

I hope the Op, doesnt mind....Ive been considering selling some, or all of my cards.

I know the drill, but perhaps there might be a collector, reseller here, that would enjoy, and profit, and a rate that makes sense for both parties.
I know its a bit Tricky, but 2 good minds can make it happen.

Not a rush, not a fire sale, but know numbers can be reached....

20210418_224703 (resized).jpg20210418_224703 (resized).jpg20210418_224709 (resized).jpg20210418_224709 (resized).jpg
#32 3 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

Just thinking out loud. I suppose if I hold them they will only gain in value????

Or drop in value.

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Or drop in value.

The latest version of Antiques Road Show is not kind. It shows the value when the show first aired and the value now. Most collectibles drop in value. I'm not sure this applies to pinball machines though....

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

I suppose if I hold them they will only gain in value????

You could study your cards. 10 years worth of price guides. They going up ? They going down ? Player gets popular and name is in the news a lot - retires, makes hall of fame, sets a record that may not be beat. After that it's usually down hill. Except for a great player - that may not slide down.

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I hope the Op, doesnt mind....Ive been considering selling some, or all of my cards.
I know the drill, but perhaps there might be a collector, reseller here, that would enjoy, and profit, and a rate that makes sense for both parties.
I know its a bit Tricky, but 2 good minds can make it happen.
Not a rush, not a fire sale, but know numbers can be reached....
[quoted image][quoted image]

You’ve got some great cards in there! My shits all from the early 80’s - early 90’s. I’d trade the whole footlocker for a pin

#37 3 years ago

Like someone else said, just check completed ebay.

This one looks to be in similar condition:
ebay.com link: 1968 Topps 177 Nolan Ryan Rookie Card RC Low Grade Off Grade

#38 3 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

About 20 years ago, my grandmother had some of her furniture appraised, including a china cabinet or hutch or buffet or something. She told the appraiser she bought it some decades prior for $X. The appraiser told her to "add a zero" to the value. My grandmother was pretty proud of her investment.

Now she and my grandfather have both passed, the antique furniture market is a shell of what it once was, and the FMV is now closer to the original price she paid. Same with the antique trains he collected.

#39 3 years ago
Quoted from marcus0202:

Like someone else said, just check completed ebay.
This one looks to be in similar condition:
ebay.com link: 1968 Topps 177 Nolan Ryan Rookie Card RC Low Grade Off Grade

Yeah I was thinking the 68 Ryan was mid $200’s and buyer will use as a filler card for a set or added to a Ryan collection as a filler until they can get afford an upgrade. The card is iconic for sure, just in rough shape. Maybe it was won in a flipping match??

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Or drop in value.

I was so happy as a 12 year old to buy a Mark McGwire rookie card. I think I paid 20 or 30 for it. Then all the doping hit. I doubt it's worth much now

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

For the small amount I could get I am asking why sell?

Depending on what the market holds for pure collectibles. In uncertain times people hold their cash or invest in sure things. When this covid wraps up and buyer confidence goes up the money faucets will be on and maybe you can get more. Or we hit inflation. Their value and what dollar amount you can get for them are two different things.

If you think they are neat to look at why not keep them?

#42 3 years ago

The sportscard market has gone through the roof lately, but condition is king. A jeter sp RC is worth either 100 or 50k depending on grade. Which is silly because it depends on the grader and his mood and subjectiveness.

#43 3 years ago
Quoted from jake35:

The sportscard market has gone through the roof lately, but condition is king. A jeter sp RC is worth either 100 or 50k depending on grade. Which is silly because it depends on the grader and his mood and subjectiveness.

Some sports cards. I have complete sets from the mid - late 80s that aren’t worth much. They made too many!

#44 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Some sports cards. I have complete sets from the mid - late 80s that aren’t worth much. They made too many!

BUT apparently they didn’t make many PSA 10’s.

#45 3 years ago

Do baseball cards from SlugFest games count with any value?. Got a big bag of them. They had never been run through the dispenser. They were extras.

#46 3 years ago

Sports cards are mega hot right now. Those cards are probably worth more right now than ever. HOWEVER, that doesn't mean they will continue to increase in value. I don't think the sports card craze thats going on right now is going to last, so now might be your best time to sell. They could easily be worth less in the future.

#47 3 years ago
Quoted from jake35:

Which is silly because it depends on the grader and his mood and subjectiveness.

Or how much business you do with them.

Quoted from chad:

Do baseball cards from SlugFest games count with any value?. Got a big bag of them. They had never been run through the dispenser. They were extras.

Depends on individual cards. They were usually commons, so not much.

#48 3 years ago

Sound like we need a Collectible Sports Card forum I’d be a frequent participant for buying or selling with my pinball buddies

#49 3 years ago

I have 2 pallets stacked 6 feet high of sports cards. Cards have been dead for years but hear they are making a comeback. Might be a good time to trade for a pin or cash out.

#50 3 years ago

I had posted these in another topic on baseball cards, but if anyone is looking to buy old cards; I have:

Bob Talbot (1954 Topps)
Dizzy Trout (1953 Topps)
George Kell (1954 Bowman)
Mickey Mantle (1954 Bowman)
Al Sima (1953 Topps)
Ransom Jackson (1954 Bowman)

They were in the walls of my parents house when we were remodeling, condition is super good on them; but for being inside a baggie in the wall they're not bad. They'd be good "display" cards or extras.

There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/old-baseball-cards- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.