(Topic ID: 17042)

Old Bally jumper confusion/query

By pinballslave

11 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballslave.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

I'm trying to understand the significance of the jumpers on old Bally/Stern CPUs...

I was hoping the jumper locations would help me identify what some boards I took out of some games (and like an idiot didn't mark up!!) are for which game, but I'm starting to think that maybe the jumper locations won't help...

So, here are some general questions for anyone who understands these things;

1) Does each game have a unique set of jumpers that would identify which game the board is from (or at least pin it down to a handfull of options)?

2) I have 2 boards with these jumpers:

1-4
    2-6
    7-8
    9-11
    12-36
    13-15
    16A-19
    31-32
    33-34

Which game(s) could this board be from?

Any general advice about what jumpers are for and how to identify these boards is greatly apppreciated!!

#3 11 years ago

So is it true to say that the jumper locations are more a reflection of the type of ROM used instead of a reflection of the which game it is...?

I recently found this:

http://www.actionpinball.com/tech/bally_id.htm

Here you can read the printed info on the ROM and identify it from this chart if it's a Bally game, so this is a great healp for what I'm trying to achieve

#5 11 years ago

Thanks for you input JW!

I'm a dumb-ass when it comes to these things, electronics being something I definitely need to get to grips with in this hobby!!

I also found this site:

http://pinballeon.com/baltalk/romlist.htm

Which lists games versus jumpers... or is it saying that certain games had certain ROMs and THAT's why they have the stated jumpers (and not because of the game)? I have a Playboy and the board has jumpers that are different from those stated on this list... All my games are exports because I'm from Europe, so maybe this affects things??

Your patience is greatly appreciated in trying to help me on this... like I say, I'm very dumb in these things!! Is there a site that explains this stuff for dummies?? Understanding how to convert to 2732's would be useful/educational no doubt!! Most of my boards are original using the 9316's... I guess that's fine as long as they still work...

Thanks for all advice!!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballslave.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/old-bally-jumper-confusionquery?tu=pinballslave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.