ofest (resized).jpg
20190827_104508 (resized).jpg
20190827_104433 (resized).jpg
20190827_104509 (resized).jpg
20190827_104426 (resized).jpg
IMG_1737 (resized).jpg
IMG_1735 (resized).jpg
C37AF47E-BEC3-43D3-889F-8777393D64D6 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider konjurer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#37 4 years ago

Finally got a chance to play WW today! I’ve got an hour on the machine and it’s a fun shooter. It’s really early for me to say one is better than the other but after an hour on each game I feel Oktoberfest is more fun.

There’s just not a lot in the game compared to Fest. Fest is packed cool stuff to do and better mechs. Hands down better mechs than WW. Not even a contest.

Three things stand out in Fest:

1. Two physical ball locks that do something really fun with the balls when released. The rollercoaster and the keg drop on the beer stein magnet. I like those two mechs better than any toy on WW.

2. The bar bash toy is slightly better than the WW secret machine. You can bash to open much like the secret machine. And Otto the bartender interacts.

3. Targets. Lots more to shoot for. I counted at least 20 Stand-up targets on Fest. The crescent shaped banks of targets are “swipe-able” - something I’m not sure has been done before.

As for the theme, Wonka is a favorite movie having seen it a dozen times. But I don’t want that theme in my man cave. I’m not 12 anymore. For me Oktoberfest just makes me happy when I played it. The beer festival/carnival game atmosphere is a better fit for me.

I just bought MBr SE last week so I probably won’t be buying an Oktoberfest this year but it right at the top of my wishlist.

#87 4 years ago

I'm the first to admit that I was very critical of the animations. However, there are not that bad and have improved. As someone pointed out, there's a lot more going things of substance going on on the Oktoberfest screen than WW.

The "content" on the WW screen and sound package is not great. I found the theme integration to be TERRIBLE! Why would anyone think it is okay to play movie clips with no sound. What's the point of the movie clips without the sound? After all, its far more likely you'll be listening than watching. Missed opportunity by JJP.

#98 4 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

LASTLY... even the biggest Stern fan has to admit Jersey Jack is the BEST at it hands down not even close.

A few months ago I might have agreed. Stern has really upped their game. BKSOR and JP have pretty good animations. The rendering of the Hell Hand is the coolest thing I've seen on a pinball machine display. JP also has some great (and some wonky) animations. The gap is closing.

#99 4 years ago

I find it shocking that Oktoberfest still leads in this poll. 150+ voters is a significant number of votes. Perhaps WW was not as good as the initial hype train and that Oktoberfest is better than the initial hate train. I hope people take 2nd look at API games. They are way better than they were initially given credit for.

#106 4 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

let me explain.

I think people do this to fool people, but I think a lot of these manufactures start shipping higher numbers first so it looks like they're selling like hot cakes. Trust me I know they're doing this 110%.

Thank God we have you to explain this little known and understood phenomenon. Well duh, that's been going on in marketing since the dawn of time. Doesn't mean that's how all manufacturers set their serial numbers.

In the Houdini thread people where posting their serial numbers and you could see the progression as sales went up from very low serial numbers. I got mine two months into the run and guys that were getting their machines at the same time were posting in the 1090s and mine was 1098 (#98). Josh Kugler posted the process back then. If serial number is 1071, then 71 heads were created. Didn't mean they were shipped in that exact order but I don't believe there was an attempt to fool customers with some serial number scheme.

#123 4 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Flow does not equate to good. That's just your preference right now. When your skills improve you may come to appreciate tighter shots like the lock shot on Houdini.

Agree! Houdini is a difficult machine. Difficult doesn't equal "not fun." Oktoberfest is also difficult. But was you get better at learning these machine they really open up. I've had some epic, epic games on Houdini.

BTW, I really don't think the lock shot is that difficult. There are easily as difficult shots on most new Stern games. Not sure why people freaked out over that particular shot. I hit it on 40-50% of my attempts. For some reason, the only time I can't seem to find it is during timed modes like the Bullet Catch.

#124 4 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Does Oktoberfest still have the screens where the text doesn't fit in the space that's made for it? Everything in Okt is campy, and as such I can rationalize that most of it is supposed to be cheesy. But there were some screens that were just broken. I think they were either the mode screens or the steins? Super basic font that overlapped the edges of the text box.

Houdini had many screens that were not complete or "placeholders." Nearly all of that has been resolved. I'm sure there will be many more releases of code for Oktoberfest over the next year.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 11.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 25.50
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

6,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Philadelphia, PA
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider konjurer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/oktoberfest-vs-willy-wonka-?tu=konjurer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.