• Oktoberfest 95 votes
    49%
  • Willy Wonka (standard) 89 votes
    46%
  • Stern Fanboy alert! 11 votes
    6%

(195 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 8 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

ofest (resized).jpg
20190827_104508 (resized).jpg
20190827_104433 (resized).jpg
20190827_104509 (resized).jpg
20190827_104426 (resized).jpg
IMG_1737 (resized).jpg
IMG_1735 (resized).jpg
C37AF47E-BEC3-43D3-889F-8777393D64D6 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider GrandFireball1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 months ago

Two very different games with a variety of opinions.
Oktoberfest is definitely the more unique, whimsical, and deep game with tons of interesting strategy.
Wonka has a bit more flow, and a classic theme, but not as much going on rule wise.

Let’s say WW standard so the price is close

#5 3 months ago
Quoted from ChippyWonka:

Assuming the playfield doesn’t chip like a mother, a $7500 Wonka is the best value in NIB pinball. Great game!

Your username goes perfectly with this quote lol

#14 3 months ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

After owning both, Oktoberfest wins here. Wonka was too repetitive and plagued with issues. Oktoberfest is a fresh design with great strategy and plenty of modes.

Definitely agree with you here. Wonka to me is nothing unique and kinda boring. Oktoberfest is a little clunky, but has tons of interesting shots and awesome rules. So many ways to play it and funny modes.

#17 3 months ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

Hate to say it, but Wonka is too smooth. The ramps are easy and easily repeatable, there isn't a difficult shot in the game. Plus there's only 4 factory modes that really matter, when you're playing through them for the third in the same game, it's kind of boring.

Exactly. Besides, Oktoberfest is ~$500 cheaper. Wonka is more like a playfield with Wonka art thrown on it. Oktoberfest is a festival under glass

#36 3 months ago

One thing I should point out is that yes, I’m sure WW will sell more than Oktoberfest. JJP is the bigger company and have a good theme out with a good reputation. American’s first game wasn’t awesome, and so that won’t help Oktoberfest sells.

All I’m asking is what is the better pinball. Not which one is better on location or which will sell more. Which is the better package?

And to the people who think Oktoberfest is confusing... it’s not. It’s not that hard to follow. It’s coded by 2 guys who have been into pinball for a long time and really understand rules and the player’s perspective. They also are super into the community and answering questions and taking suggestions to better improve certain aspects. Granted, no company has to do that, but it does give them some respect.

I think Wonka is a fine game. I’ll play around on it here and there. Animations are great. Quality is high. Butter smooth to shoot. But it’s not the better pin.

#40 3 months ago
Quoted from phoenixpin:

Oktoberfest has the better code. Not sure that’s up for debate. I’d also say better mechs. I just find it too clunky of a shooter and wish it shot like Wonka.

It needs to be set up pretty perfect. If not, yeah, not gonna be so fun.

#43 3 months ago

drfrightner Would you trade American doing a good licensed theme for the loss of money going into mechs and features?

#46 3 months ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

I'm not sure I understand the question. But if you're saying would I trade them doing an original theme, with more bells and whistles than doing a license and spending less on bells and whistles. Is that what you mean?
Why does it have to be one or the other? I can tell you right now they could license Halloween for 50k, and I could design that blindfolded, and add features NO ONE has ever done or tried before. I design attractions for a living, and we do a lot of video FX, you could build Myers house and add small TV's in the windows and make it look like he's walking around the house. Wouldn't that be bad ass?
Anyway ... its not about dummy down the machine, its about upping the game. Octoberfest is just frankly an awful theme, it just is! I don't know who came up with that idea, but the owners of American Pinball need to see some outside guidance. Then they want to consider Robin Hood are you kidding me... every single Robin Hood movie BOMBS we don't need Robin Hood pinball.
If they made Halloween, and announce the following:
We licensed Halloween and there is only ONE model and each game is 7k and limited to the first 1000 orders. Overnight 1000 games are going to sell, because that franchise has more than 1000 fans let me tell you. So instead of messing around with Octoberfest and selling 300 games at a struggle... pre-sale 1000 Halloween games in 60 seconds. Then turn around and license Friday the 13th, or Three Stooges easy to obtain license and do it again.
You could do even more mechs because you're making MORE MONEY!
Its not an either or thing, its you're either ALL IN or you're NOT! Don't compete with Stern or JJP for the license to Matrix, go to Airplane, Ferris Bueller Day Off, Bill and Ted Excellent Adventure, Halloween, Army of Darkness, whatever... heck get the license to Def Leppard you could get that. Pour some Sugar on me baby...
If you do games like Octoberfest and Robin Hood you're just spinning your wheels in the mud!

All good points, and I would love a Halloween game. But enthusiasts of B themes generally aren’t going to throw down $7k on a pinball machine sight unseen. Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t see it. I don’t fault American trying to get into more unique themes, but I really do hope their next game will be a stronger hit. They have everything going for them besides demand, and that could easily be because of theme.

#49 3 months ago
Quoted from drfrightner:I agree with you. However on the 7k front I mentioned 7k because they're trying to sell Octoberfest for 7400... I was suggesting lowering the price.
Maybe if they license something they should do the two model approach which is what i think Stern should do ... $5800 and $7200 or something like that.
But doing Robin Hood is going to spell doom for this company, or any title like that going forward. I suggested they do a Beach theme, with Shark attacks, if you're going to stay in the original lane. I would go for something like Halloween or Friday the 13th. I think both would be HUGE!

Not sure how real the rumor was, but at some point I heard American had plans to do contract games, such as that Nightmare before Christmas custom game. Now THAT would be cool. They could crank out a recognizable B theme with tons of features and have a separate line for contract pins. Sounds too good to be true, but it’s possible

#52 3 months ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

I'll throw out another rumor for you... are you ready for this? They start making games for Chicago Gaming!

Doesn’t Chicago Gaming have their own factory? And yeah it is weird they are moving to a larger place when their production currently isn’t very fast. Must have some big plans. Although I heard that game #3 (rumored to be Sherlock Holmes) won’t be released until early next year

#66 3 months ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

THat should send a message to the folks at American Pinball, NO ONE WANTS original themes

Hmm not sure about that. I think a decent amount of pinball people are getting tired of licensed themes. That being said, that’s what sells generally, but there is also WAY more a company can do with an unlicensed theme. On Oktoberfest, there’s unlimited opportunity, and it’s different. The game could be called “Carnival” and it would basically be the same game, but they decided to go with a well-known massive festival. I like it.

#70 3 months ago
Quoted from delt31:

Original themes don't sell as well. Period. American Pinball seems to be fighting it but it's like trying to keep the sun from rising. They need to wake up and focus on a good theme instead of building a bigger facility.

Well I heard the next game is licensed, so we’ll see. And the larger facility could be for contract manufacturing, like mentioned above, which could open doors to a lot of possibilities.

But it’s tough for the design teams that spend countless hours on these games to make them great, yet only sell a few hundred. Hoping they’ll make it big on their next announcement.

#85 3 months ago
Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

I dont get people being so judgy over the display animations. 98% of what counts is under the glass.

Yeah I really don’t get it. People are comparing MOVIE CLIPS and animation done by the best guy in the industry to CUSTOM ANIMATIONS done by the software team at American. There’s obviously going to be a quality difference. And honestly who tf bases the play of a game based off animations. Their just eye candy. I have a Hobbit - easily best screen use of any game. But I rather play Oktoberfest because of the better “pinball” aspects of it.

#100 3 months ago

I’d be curious to know what API’s biggest market is. I would assume home collectors because the amount of games out in the wild is slim. I think they thought Oktoberfest would be in every pub or bar, but that’s not the case. Wonka on the other hand is much more widespread and I would guess they’re over 500 made.

#142 3 months ago

I’m honestly surprised how much traction this thread has gotten. The Pinside opinions are strong!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7,399.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider GrandFireball1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside